Licence - now expired

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

I'm at a loss to understand all this. I renewed our licence online, and the new one arrived in just over a week. I've been a bit tardy actually putting the things in the boat window, but at least BW know I've got them.

My point is, though, if (1) you have paid and (2) the BW computer knows you have paid, then your conscience is clear.

Do you really care if some busybody thinks you haven't coughed up? Life's too short to worry about that sort of nonsense...

Ian

I couldn't pay for mine on line... but then I wasn't looking for a renewal so perhaps that was the problem.

I don't care what people think, but I do hope the licence arrives so I can actually go somewhere. Admittedly the Thames is currently in flood, but that isn't the point!

Yes it makes a difference when you want to go on to the Thames, no licence = no passage through the lock. They're quite strict in other ways too; when I first had Thistle, the lock-keeper wouldn't let me through because I didn't have the boat's name name painted on one side (I was in the middle of repainting it, so the panel was blank). Even my protests that I had a thistle growing in a pot on the roof were no use, I had to get the name painted on a big sheet of card then stuck to the side - still at least it kept the kids busy all afternoon.

I'm at a loss to understand all this. I renewed our licence online, and the new one arrived in just over a week. I've been a bit tardy actually putting the things in the boat window, but at least BW know I've got them.

Sadly, BW will not permit Gold Licence holders to renew on line - there is also an peculiar issue with VAT which I have never understood - we only pay VAT on the BW potion and not on the EA portion.

My point is, though, if (1) you have paid and (2) the BW computer knows you have paid, then your conscience is clear.

Do you really care if some busybody thinks you haven't coughed up? Life's too short to worry about that sort of nonsense...

But as others have pointed out - you cannot cruise on EA waters because the lock-keepers won't let you - and until the licence is actually issued, BW will not inform the EA that it has been paid for.

End of January now and still no license! I just rang Watford and they say it is on the way but they cant say when!

So with Hanwell Locks closed and no Gold License for the Thames I am trapped! Good job I was not planning on going anywhere this month.

End of January now and still no license! I just rang Watford and they say it is on the way but they cant say when!

So with Hanwell Locks closed and no Gold License for the Thames I am trapped! Good job I was not planning on going anywhere this month.

will they reimburse a months payment off of the license?

as this is my first year for buying a license, and at present not quite knowing what my plans are, and that my boat is currently moored on the thames, i just got a license from EA for the Thames, it arrived a little bit late, but i did send off my application late.

"will they reimburse a months payment off of the license?"

Not really - I have been moored on BW water the whole 12 months - and the 'Gold surcharge' is really only intended for occasional forays onto EA water - which in truth, I had no plans to make this month anyway. I cant remember the maths now, but I think the 'Gold surcharge' breaks even if I make two trips onto the EA Thames, and I do a lot more.

the EA are excellent at issueing licences and patrolling them. BW aren't so hot, and it is BW that cause the hitch. I emailed them yesterday asking where my licence was and received a reply:

"Thank you for your email. I cannot see a gold licence for BONES index 75632 on your account as yet however these do take 15 working days for processing. Please can you advise when this was posted so that I can determine if this is still within the processing time? "

I emailed them back and said I sent it at the beginning of December, and asked for some advice about what I need to do next, hopeing I could perhaps do it over the phone and then this morning I received another reply:

"Thank you for your reply. I can advise that the paperwork is in our processing offices and your discs should be with you shortly"

So they are obviously getting around to it. Interestingly enough Maffi received his discs on saturday and he applied 2-3weeks after me.

My Bridgewater Canal licence ( MSC/Peel Holdings ) was hand delivered last Friday - the licence was delivered yesterday morning ( Monday ).

A few hundred licence applications were delivered in bulk last Friday from the 6 Bridgewater boat clubs as a protest against another large rise in fees.

Bridgewater Canal licenses run from January to December.

Steve

I think one of the key problems here is confusion over the definition of 'streamlining'. You lot seem to think it makes things go faster and easier for everyone. Absolutely false. Streamlining means the people at the top get your money faster with the ease of not providing any service in return.

will they reimburse a months payment off of the license?

No, and just count yourself lucky they didn't sieze your boat and crush it for not having a valid licence displayed! :)

I used to find Watford were fairly efficient in getting licences out on time but Craft Licencing has now moved to Leeds so perhaps the delays are be due to the departmental move?

"I used to find Watford were fairly efficient in getting licences out on time but Craft Licencing has now moved to Leeds so perhaps the delays are be due to the departmental move?"

I rang Leeds as instructed - but was transfered to Watford when I asked for craft licensing!

BW are sending licences out in different colours this year. We have seen blue 08 and green 08. Ours has arrived orange.

Sue

Ours is also Orange. I don't know what colour the Gold licences are this year (not Gold, obviously). But I've scanned it into the computer, so now I can print myself copies in any colour I like.

Ian

I dont think that is the point. It is a legal requirement to display a valid licence on your boat. By failing to come up to spec on their own rules they are causing you to break the law.

It is selfperpetuating. If BW cant be assed to get you your licence in time why shoul you bother to display it or for that matter bother buying one!

Bw definitely on Orange alert this year they've got Rover waiting in the wings

I always suspected BW had a green room somewhere, with some evil Number two monitoring every single boat that's on the waterways

a still tongue makes a happy life...

be seeing you!

Edited by fender

Can I join in.?

We had our licence 19th January 08 - expired October 08! (Last license ran out October 07) We originally wanted to renew on-line, but couldn't do that because we were off BW waters for 2 months, and wanted to align with the EA year. So BW said, "return the application with a note to say when you want it to start." I did - they didn't. We had to send the licence back :-(

They have our money, less the prompt payment discount(!), (according to the credit card statement) and still we wait.

Still, the local enforcement officers know that the "licence applied for" is genuine, so that's OK!

I applied for mine by paper and cheque at the end of November, no sign of licence ten weeks later and Leeds had no record of it arriving. I'm not to worry - I sent it to Watford but post is being diverted to Leeds as some of the paperwork is out of date (!) but they will find it eventually. Still no sign of it a week later so I rang the Leeds number and was asked to send it all again. This time though I got smart (that's the what the prospect of losing my early payment discount does for me) and I hauled my rarely used creditcard out of it's dusty lair and did it online.

Licence arrived four days later. From Watford.

Shep

PS have cancelled cheque - still no confidence that BW will not cash it or will ever find my application .........