Small Narrowboats

moggyjo

Featured Posts

there is another one like that called "Sarnie" near Wolverhampton. I think Sarnie has had previous lives as a tiny trip boat on the Grantham Canal, small enough to be trailed, but I may be wrong.

Here is Sarni. This was on the Staffs and Worcs, just outside Wolverhampton, May 2006.

NB062.jpg

And this gives you an idea of how small Sarni really is.

NB063.jpg

I know that one, I think it's out of the water now and last time I saw it it looked like someone was trying to do it up. Mum tried to persuade me to do it for them for when Ripple came south (parents live in Marple) but running one boat is enough...

The one in the pic looks less than 7 feet wide: there is another one like that called "Sarnie" near Wolverhampton. I think Sarnie has had previous lives as a tiny trip boat on the Grantham Canal, small enough to be trailed, but I may be wrong.

"Sarnie" is the half scale one I think? I have a photo somewhere.

Edited to add: I must read the full thred in future X100.

I see that Sarni was built as a kid's boat. I wondered if it had a generator in it for servicing other boats, but clearly guessed wrongly. Excellent little thing though, I wanted to take it home, but SWMBO wouldn't hear of it. I was later told that there is a quarter scale one on the water somewhere?

Edited by Guest

Yes, last time I saw him they were at Charity dock. It's a Thames tug replica, apparently. When Andy was restoring her (she was built out of dodgy Larch iirc) he found a note from the original builder, buried in the stem post hoodings, so he sat down and wrote his own note to put back, with the original.

He lived in the space not occupied by the engine, not a lot for a man his size.

Carp II as at Jem Bates's yard.

But was the boat at the raliies actually this one presently for sale at Braunston?

gallery_441_2_105210.jpg

Paul H

Carp II as at Jem Bates's yard.

But was the boat at the raliies actually this one presently for sale at Braunston?

gallery_441_2_105210.jpg

Paul H

I think I need to see a photo of carp II as well to tell the difference, the one I remember didnt have that girder/tug post on the stem.

I think I need to see a photo of carp II as well to tell the difference, the one I remember didnt have that girder/tug post on the stem.

Carp II - (right hand side)

<Attic006.jpg">

Other boat is Hagley as co-owned by Richard Fairhurst. When's it going to get finished Richard?

Paul

Is that just onto the Oxford after exiting the Dukes cut and turning left? I saw that tug at Jem Bates' dry dock a while back. I was magging and the bloke on it said 'have you lost something' i said 'no, see if i can find anything'. He said 'pathetic' and shut the door. Nice boat but it doesn't look anything like Cannon Brook or any of her type of Thames tugs.

I think you were right first time Paul, if it goes from ahead to astern and can stick the fore end under the water then its the one I remember.

Carp is too river tug looking Im sure Id have remembered the layout more clearly if it had been her.

Is this Carp that still belongs to Steve, He had it moored at Duke cut where he was sorting it out, he did a really good job of it The last time I saw him he was at Boulbourne working at the yard there.scannedphotos061-1.jpgIs this Carp that still belongs to Steve, He had it moored at Duke cut where he was sorting it out, he did a really good job of it The last time I saw him he was at Boulbourne working at the yard there.scannedphotos061-1.jpgIs this Carp that still belongs to Steve, He had it moored at Duke cut where he was sorting it out, he did a really good job of it The last time I saw him he was at Boulbourne working at the yard there.scannedphotos061-1.jpg

There was a beautiful runabout at Saul, couple of years ago. For speed and its ability to navigate it was truely excellent. I think it had a fringe on top.There was a beautiful runabout at Saul, couple of years ago. For speed and its ability to navigate it was truely excellent. I think it had a fringe on top.

This One?

http://www.pbase.com/timlewis/image/90503332

Tim

And this gives you an idea of how small Sarni really is.

NB063.jpg

Ahh, you bet me to it!

- What a babe of a boat tho, i want one to do the shopping in.

Punch&judy was/is owned by a member of the sba, and i have her down as 19ft6 LOA (18' LWL) parrfin burning with a 2.5" twin high.

- Not not a narrowboat, but perfectly plesent non the less, and very good power to weight like all the little grp/wooden steam lanuchs. Run rings round us at rallys!

Daniel

Steve!..not Andy. I am so crap with names. At Charity he was called "Oxford Steve" because there were too many about.

I never thought there'd be too many Carls to warrant a nickname but Braunston's full of them.

Steve Bernett, I know Steve when in the early 70' we lived in the same house in Oxford. He spent aa long time doing that boat up. When he went to Charity dock he kept on his mooring at Dukes but I think hes given it up now, did someone say that he has sold her?

In the picture he is on our moorings getting a tow up the canal with John and Maddy Forth.