Side Hatch

Featured Posts

A quick question, born out of curiosity.

It is mandatory for a side-hatch to be fitted with steps, so that it can be used as an additional fire escape route, or is it merely good sense to have steps? 

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

A side hatch is more likely to have steps below compared to side doors without a top hopper.

True, side doors without a top hatch (like mine) are really intended for light/ventilation and as an emergency exit which will hopefully never be used -- ones with a top hatch are more likely to be used for non-emergency entry/exit which means steps are needed.

1 minute ago, IanD said:

True, side doors without a top hatch (like mine) are really intended for light/ventilation and as an emergency exit which will hopefully never be used -- ones with a top hatch are more likely to be used for non-emergency entry/exit which means steps are needed.

My engine room side doors only have steps one side as the alternator is in the way to have steps fitted both sides

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

My engine room side doors only have steps one side as the alternator is in the way to have steps fitted both sides

So you can't use the alternator side for normal entry/exit, so it doesn't need steps... 😉 

I had side hatches, port and starboard in the galley purely for light and ventilation.(no top hatches). I had them made sufficiently wide to allow access for domestic size white goods. Good decision! 

• Greenie 1