Marina investigations and planning?

Featured Posts

Hi All

Hope you are all well!

We live in the Western Yorkshire Dales and are researching into marinas, ideally getting a 50 - 55ft canal boat, will be looking at liveaboard residential moorings on either the Leeds Liverpool or Lancaster canals, ideally to suit convenience for commuting to work as still have some years ahead working.

Looking at between Skipton down to Blackburn area as work just off J29 of the M6 on the A59, but want to be somewhere scenic and quiet if possible not busy towns or city, happy to commute a distance, commuting 1 hr now each way from the Dales.

Or on the Lancaster canal, from Lancaster down to the J32 area, again somewhere not too silly busy and convenient to hop on the M6 as there aren`t many junctions?

Starting to look at marinas, ideally with parking and full facilities, plus secure for cars and safe while at work on nightshift and wife home aboard.

Leeds Liverpool wonderfully scenic and remote stretches for weekend cruising and breaks, also Lancaster good with no locks so easier and can cover more ground.

Any comments regarding the freedom and choice of moorings in remote places after a long week at work on either stretch?

Obviously anywhere near Skipton will be busy with hire boats.

Have bought books and downloaded the open canal map, getting out and exploring the network on weekends and planning a boat hire, ideally 50-55ft for a week to 10 days later in the year. Any recommendations?

Also looking to volunteer weekends, meet CRT volunteers, boaters, learn and contribute.

Otherwise open to to comments and advice Re: marinas etc

Currently working out costs, council tax, continuous cruising licence  etc and average living costs obviously the realistic advantages/disadvantages etc.

Have been following many Facebook pages, YouTube channels and collecting book for a bit now.

Then obviously the boat, layout and systems aboard best for a marina to start with then move onto continuous cruising come retirement.

Thanks in advance for any comments posted

Enjoying reading through all previous threads.

All the best!

Andy 

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And if you do find a permanent mooring (whether officially residential or not) you won't need a 'continuous cruising licence'.

Thank you for that, one question on my list! Wasn't sure if it was required as well. Had assumed it was compulsory on its own and not included in mooring fees etc Thank you for taking the time to comment.

All the best.

Andy 

2 hours ago, yorkshiredalesandy said:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a positive comment! Greatly appreciated. 

I think that was shorthand for there aren't many residential moorings in general and not many will be available. 

More liveaboards probably live under the radar on non-residential moorings. Pros - cheaper, no council tax Cons- no official address, worries about living outside of your agreement, usually no car parking etc.

Do a search on this site. There are lots of topics on this.

Aquavista have residential berths at White Bear Marina near Chorley and Galgate near Lancaster, probably elsewhere, but you have to enquire for availability and cost. Other marinas may also offer residential moorings.

https://www.aquavista.com/mooring-options/residential-moorings

Edited by Ianws

9 hours ago, yorkshiredalesandy said:

Thank you for that, one question on my list! Wasn't sure if it was required as well. Had assumed it was compulsory on its own and not included in mooring fees etc Thank you for taking the time to comment.

All the best.

Andy 

Yes you will need a licence, but one where you declare a home mooring, rather than one for 'continuous cruising'. And from this month a home mooring licence will be cheaper than a CC one.

(The exception to the above would be that if you find a mooring in one of the few offline marinas or basins which is not subject to CRT's standard Network Access Agreement, then you may not need a licence in the marina itself, but will to venture out onto the canal. For planning purposes you can ignore this option.)

Hmmm, lots of questions to answer in one post.

I think you could do your maths based on two scenarios

1) CC which is a boat which has no home mooring. Licence only budget £1300 year1, £1500 y2, and so on.

2) marina living rent £3K, licence £1K. (y1 £4K, y2 £4.4K)

Of course these are ballpark figures.

There are some  Residential Moorings ie with Planninh Permission, but they do exist, and you will have to add on the cost of Council Tax, this is bound to be significant.

If you are working nights, that means you will need to be somewhere quiet to sleep during the day, make sure boat is well insulated and well ventilated. In summer I often moor under trees to keep cool. These places may be out in the sticks, but you should be able to cycle along the towpath to your car, your commute is going to increse.

If you commute daily, and cc, you probably need to find a new mooring every week (14 days if you want to push the licence limits of the licence) with parking.  You will soon identify nice moorings. I can tell you Burnley is not one of them.

If you are new to boating, and the boat is new to you, stick to the one it is on, eg the L&L.

I trust you wife is with you on this plan, as she is going to sleep on the boat alone, which means selecting a quiet mooring, which also has vehicle access,  but what is she going to do during the day, (housekeeping one hour, walking one hour, sleeping eight hours, leaves another fourteen hours to fill)

Edited by LadyG

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There are some  Residential Moorings ie with Planninh Permission, but they do exist, and you will have to add on the cost of Council Tax, this is bound to be significant.

Yes. Band "A" council tax is probably well over £1,000 in most areas now and in many, over £1,500 a year. This is in addition to the (probable) £3k-£4k a year mooring charge and £1k a year CRT boat licence. 

I've an idea some of the marinas with legitimate residential moorings pay a lump sum council tax fee themselves and divide it up amongst the residential moorers, whixh works out cheaper for the moorers. 

CCers only pay the CRT boat licence, so you can see why so many liveaboards prefer to moor out on the towpath, which is free. 

Edited by MtB
Clarify a point.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Nothing is free on the canals.

It is now dearer to live on a boat legitimately than in a house/flat.

Disagree. 

Being allowed to moor for free on the public towpath for two week stretches at a time separated by one hour of cruising is legitimate CCing according to CRT, and is MUCH cheaper than living in a house. 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I pay more for a no-frills, no amenities 27' towpath leisure mooring oop north here and licence for a little tupperware than have to shell out for the band A council tax and water at home. Would be near double that for liveaboard size NB. True residential marinas/moorings are an order of cost greater.

9 hours ago, Ianws said:

I think that was shorthand for there aren't many residential moorings in general and not many will be available. 

More liveaboards probably live under the radar on non-residential moorings. Pros - cheaper, no council tax Cons- no official address, worries about living outside of your agreement, usually no car parking etc.

Do a search on this site. There are lots of topics on this.

Aquavista have residential berths at White Bear Marina near Chorley and Galgate near Lancaster, probably elsewhere, but you have to enquire for availability and cost. Other marinas may also offer residential moorings.

https://www.aquavista.com/mooring-options/residential-moorings

Great, Thanks for that! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Disagree. 

Being allowed to moor for free on the public towpath for two week stretches at a time separated by one hour of cruising is legitimate CCing according to CRT, and is MUCH cheaper than living in a house. 

Agree with both of you in different scenarios. Mooring fees are the kicker, especially if wanting true residential. Liveaboard CCing can be cheaper for sure but there's many people who can't use their boats like that.

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

I pay more for a no-frills, no amenities 27' towpath leisure mooring oop north here and licence for a little tupperware than have to shell out for the band A council tax and water at home. Would be near double that for liveaboard size NB. True residential marinas/moorings are an order of cost greater.

More fool you (and me!) then for paying for a mooring when CRT will let you moor on the towpath for free. 

(Subject to the trivial requirement not enforced, to move a few hundred yards once a fortnight.) 

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes you will need a licence, but one where you declare a home mooring, rather than one for 'continuous cruising'. And from this month a home mooring licence will be cheaper than a CC one.

(The exception to the above would be that if you find a mooring in one of the few offline marinas or basins which is not subject to CRT's standard Network Access Agreement, then you may not need a licence in the marina itself, but will to venture out onto the canal. For planning purposes you can ignore this option.)

Thanks for the info, lots to learn and figure out?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Hmmm, lots of questions to answer in one post.

I think you could do your maths based on two scenarios

1) CC which is a boat which has no home mooring. Licence only budget £1300 year1, £1500 y2, and so on.

2) marina living rent £3K, licence £1K. (y1 £4K, y2 £4.4K)

Of course these are ballpark figures.

If you are working nights, that means you will need to be somewhere quiet to sleep during the day, make sure boat is well insulated and well ventilated. 

If you commute daily, and cc, you probably need to find a new mooring every week (14 days if you want to push the licence limits of the licence) with parking.  You will soon identify nice moorings. I can tell you Burnley is not one of them.

If you are new to boating, and the boat is new to you, stick to the one it is on, eg the L&L.

I trust you wife is with you on this plan, as she is going to sleep on the boat alone, which means selecting a quiet mooring, which also has vehicle access,  but what is she going to do during the day, (housekeeping one hour, walking one hour, sleeping eight hours, leaves another fourteen hours to fill)

Thanks, money not an issue while still working? And we both have many hobbies, interests, a small shop in the Dale's and into fitness and outdoor activities so never time to get bored! 😉 

To the OP. You're doing your research right and you'll get a lot of information here but your plan to book a holiday on the canal that you would like to be on will give you a ton more knowledge than some of us on here will have about the area. If you can imagine yourself there on frozen December evenings, dealing with a broken engine or water pump, failed batteries (even if only a short distance from a home mooring) and the thought of living aboard still appeals then start looking at the ownership and mooring options. I think that you will have to make compromises and look at having registered address elsewhere with family if possible at first but most things can be worked around. That's not to say it will be cheap but your post doesn't sound as though you think this is a no-cost lifestyle.

56 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

To the OP. You're doing your research right and you'll get a lot of information here but your plan to book a holiday on the canal that you would like to be on will give you a ton more knowledge than some of us on here will have about the area. If you can imagine yourself there on frozen December evenings, dealing with a broken engine or water pump, failed batteries (even if only a short distance from a home mooring) and the thought of living aboard still appeals then start looking at the ownership and mooring options. I think that you will have to make compromises and look at having registered address elsewhere with family if possible at first but most things can be worked around. That's not to say it will be cheap but your post doesn't sound as though you think this is a no-cost lifestyle.

Thanks, we are outdoor people into activities all year round Including winter. I am an engineer with a hands on craft and wood working business on the side, we love the outdoors,  a campervan, camping and like nothing better than Scotland in winter in the mountains so a boat anytime is a holiday to us! 😆 thanks for the great reply! And definitely understand the costs etc... 

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I may have to move ashore sometime, please tell me where I can find a nice rental property under £12K per annum.

I sold my cold ,  dampish flat five years ago, and it's been cheaper ever since..

The Anchor flats suitable for folks over 55yo, are £12K plus. That's one year, and Council Tax will be about £2K.

I live legitimately on my boat for £1300 pa.

Insurance cost less than a house.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I d like to move ashore sometim3, please tell me where I can find a nice rental property under £12K per annum.

I sold my cold ,  dampish flat five years ago, and it's been cheaper ever since..

Easy, I can do you a comfy central heated flat in Lancashire for £8,700 including band A tax, parking and water but with your attitude towards me, you are not having it. Your flat was in a terrible area of Glasgow I believe.

7 hours ago, yorkshiredalesandy said:

Thanks for the info, lots to learn and figure out?

Thanks, money not an issue while still working? And we both have many hobbies, interests, a small shop in the Dale's and into fitness and outdoor activities so never time to get bored! 😉 

If money us not an issue you are living in a happy little bubble. :)

However the fact is things can change. :(

You may potter along for thirty years, by which time your boat costing £65K has rusted, still £65K

The little house in the Dales might cost £250K today, but be valued at £3.5 MILLION by then.

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Easy, I can do you a comfy central heated flat in Lancashire for £8,700 including band A tax, parking and water but with your attitude towards me, you are not having it. Your flat was in a terrible area of Glasgow I believe.

But i can't afford to give you £8.700 , my pension is about  £12K.

I'd expect to get water in any flat, I assume you mean cost of water and sewage.

My flat was not in a bad area, it was built in the 1960's so no insulation, and the neighbour was an alcoholic,

You've not had a bad neighbour.

PS I don't waste my time having an attitude to you, I will disagree with you if I feel inclined.

You are not on my ignore list so some of your posts must have some value.

Edited by LadyG

45 minutes ago, yorkshiredalesandy said:

I think I will figure this out on my own...

Thanks for the few positive replies to a few simple questions.

Didn't want it to turn into an argument? 

The thing is, you'll find all the facts you'll need to know on the CRT website. And none of the divisive personal opinions.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/

Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll be delighted with boating. Its not like this out on the real cut!