Alice Lapworth

Featured Posts

For those who are interested, but don't do Facebook...

Sadly Alice Lapworth passed away yesterday.

No small number will no doubt be saddened by this news.  However, I suspect if you don't recognise the name you probably have little interest in this news.

Photo lifted from Facebook

May be an image of 1 person and text

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

No disrespect,

Many of us won’t recognise the name,

if you could enlighten us about the woman it’d be appreciated, 

my sympathy and condolences to family. 

Bona fide historic working boater. Born Alice Wain and grew up on working boats and married into another boating family.

A regular attendee at historic events. I only knew her by sight in passing although by marriage she was a relative of mine.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Not going to get in to a discussion on this thread but rules or not, given the subject of the thread that song is not appropriate and in my view tasteless, therefore it should not be a post in this thread.

Agree 100%

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Not going to get in to a discussion on this thread but rules or not, given the subject of the thread that song is not appropriate and in my view tasteless, therefore it should not be a post in this thread.

Agreed 100%

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before posting I did check the Rules and there is nothing regarding an inappropriate posting - pretty much anything else can be removed tho.

so you knew you were treading thin ice?

I didn’t want to say anything and thought it best ignored, probably best forgotten and move on. 

the article posted earlier is interesting, I enjoyed reading it,

I know little about boaters that worked the waterways, I appreciate it when others make an effort to inform. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Yes.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before posting I did check the Rules and there is nothing regarding an inappropriate posting - pretty much anything else can be removed tho.

Whilst @Alan de Enfield is correct - the Mods have had a chat and feel that, while the post does not break any individual rule, it's getting close on many.

• Greenie 3

12 hours ago, MtB said:

Do the decent thing and delete it, please!

As you have asked in a decent way, and it has obviously annoyed a few members, I will.

Edit - gone to delete it and its already been done.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As you have asked in a decent way, and it has obviously annoyed a few members, I will.

Edit - gone to delete it and its already been done.

Alan - thank you.

28 minutes ago, Chris Lowe said:

There's nothing at all wrong with that song by Smokie, but the audience is suspect, and you can thank Chubby Brown for that.

Nothing wrong with the song in the right place which this thread wasn't.

On 31/03/2024 at 21:38, Captain Pegg said:

Bona fide historic working boater. Born Alice Wain and grew up on working boats and married into another boating family.

A regular attendee at historic events.

Thanks to Captain Pegg & RayT for their explanations.

From memory her early life afloat was with horse boats.

She, her parents, and her siblings are the subject of the biography "A Horse A Boat And you".  It gives a very good insight to those born on the boats, and who stayed with them to the very end of long distance carrying.

She could hardly have been more embedded in the boating tradition.  Two of her sisters, Vera and Ann married Ken Ward and Ted Ward, who were themselves brothers,  although I am fairly certain she has outlived all of these.

I didn't know her well, but did converse with her from time to time.  Her brother-in-law Ken Ward and her sister Vera Ward (nee Wain) operated our boat FLAMINGO for Willow Wren CTS in the late 1960s.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Thanks to Captain Pegg & RayT for their explanations.

From memory her early life afloat was with horse boats.

She, her parents, and her siblings are the subject of the biography "A Horse A Boat And you".  It gives a very good insight to those born on the boats, and who stayed with them to the very end of long distance carrying.

She could hardly have been more embedded in the boating tradition.  Two of her sisters, Vera and Ann married Ken Ward and Ted Ward, who were themselves brothers,  although I am fairly certain she has outlived all of these.

I didn't know her well, but did converse with her from time to time.  Her brother-in-law Ken Ward and her sister Vera Ward (nee Wain) operated our boat FLAMINGO for Willow Wren CTS in the late 1960s.

Edward George Ward (Ted) Ward passed away 16th July 1997 age 55. His wife Elizabeth Ann Ward, 9th January 2016, age 69.

Kenneth Ward passed away 31st March 1992 age 48.  Vera was born 1943 but I have no further information.
They are interred at Windmill Road, Cemetary, Longford, Coventry.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2