What to do with an old Gas Cylinder?

Bacchus

Featured Posts

Not sure if this is equipment related, but seemed the best fit...

My new-to-me boat came with a half-full "Butagaz" cylinder which Google tells me is French. Does anyone know whether there are any Butagaz suppliers here in Blighty, or whether they have some kind of relationship with any UK-based suppliers where I can return the cylinder (or, ideally, swap it for a more common make)

Or, if not, what I can do with it? The thing leaks as soon as you open the valve, so I can't use the remaining gas and have no idea where to dispose of it!

image.png.4be1e009490358ff5ccfc85ba098a41d.png

26 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Not sure if this is equipment related, but seemed the best fit...

My new-to-me boat came with a half-full "Butagaz" cylinder which Google tells me is French. Does anyone know whether there are any Butagaz suppliers here in Blighty, or whether they have some kind of relationship with any UK-based suppliers where I can return the cylinder (or, ideally, swap it for a more common make)

Or, if not, what I can do with it? The thing leaks as soon as you open the valve, so I can't use the remaining gas and have no idea where to dispose of it!

image.png.4be1e009490358ff5ccfc85ba098a41d.png

Make it into one of these. £200 A pop💷💷💷👍Screenshot_20240328_165150_com_ebay.mobile_edit_574295454919136.jpg.e92427af2af76d2343201eb30da9cc03.jpg

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Make it into one of these. £200 A pop💷💷💷👍Screenshot_20240328_165150_com_ebay.mobile_edit_574295454919136.jpg.e92427af2af76d2343201eb30da9cc03.jpg

I did wonder about an art-thing, or maybe a stool/coffee table, but there's a lot of gas in it which can't safely be used. It literally leaks from the valve as soon as the valve is opened.

5 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

put it outside your house or boat, somebody will steal it.

I did think about that... somebody recently took a defunct mitre saw that I left by the bin for that reason.

Bit worried about it going in the crusher half-full of gas though!

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Is the the TARDIS it's sitting outside? If so, I can see The Doctor being sued by a postman with a bad back...

I wondered why it always feels so roomy!

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Leave the valve open in an outdoor location. The gas will come out and disperse. 

I did contemplate flaring it off like an oil-rig...

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Leave the valve open in an outdoor location. The gas will come out and disperse. 

Possibly quite irresponsible as LPG is a greenhouse gas more powerful than CO2. 

But then flaring it off probably produces an equivalent amount of CO2 anyway.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Can I watch please. As a kid I used to set a little fire then put a bottle of lighter gas on it then shoot with my air rifle. Great fun. 

I did that! A friend of mine wanted to go into movie special effects, once we built a farmhouse out of plaster of paris, and wrapped the can in a paraffin-soaked rag, set fire to the rag, then shot the can to see what it would be like "on a film-set". To scale it would have been if someone had accidentally set "Little Boy" off in the farmhouse...

53 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Our local authority amenity/recycling site accepts them.

Doesn't yours?

I live in Surrey. They do eff-all. The recycling site is so expensive that most people seem to just fly-tip around the local lanes (which, of course, costs far more to clear up than it would to run a proper recycling facility, but Surrey put the moron into oxymoron when it comes to "council logic"!

• Greenie 2

Take it to your local Calor centre, go at night, park round the corner, and leave it on their doorstep.  It's French, they made it, they have the technology, they know how to dispose of it safely.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Our local authority amenity/recycling site accepts them.

Doesn't yours?

actually I have just checked the local recycling centre and they do accept gas bottles (and don't specify that they have to be empty... I guess they all have some gas in so they must be able to deal with it)

Cool. Ta all. Jobs a good 'un