New boat to me

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, peterboat said:

So yesterday I bought a steel Dutch cruiser, its a boaty boat rather than a corridor

Ā 

Looks like a proper boat- what beam is it ? (I'd guess at about 8'6" or 9')

Ā 

I never wanted a rear cabin, but since having one I wouldn't be without it. So much space.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, peterboat said:

So yesterday I bought a steel Dutch cruiser, its a boaty boat rather than a corridor šŸ¤£ I currently have a widebeam but I have lusted after this boat for a few years, it has a Sole 44 diesel engine with 146 hours on it. The previous to last owners can only be described as the artful Bodger! He didn't fix anything correctly ever!!!! The list of bodges he did are endless, as I sort them I will list them, i have fixed the water leak on the front hatch already. I only have until the end of may to do it as that's when the BSS runs out, pictures for perusalĀ 

IMG-20240217-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240217-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240217-WA0003.jpg

A very handsome boat.

I would love one butĀ  would miss the narrow canals.

The HNC, the Macc, Peak Forest and Caldon are beautiful canals (when they are open) and I think I would miss cruising them (when there are no stoppages)

I seem to be talking myself out of narrow canals. šŸ·

Best of luck with your new boat, enjoy.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I seem to be talking myself out of narrow canals

Ā 

It is not difficult to do these days - take a long and meaningful review of the 'pleasure vs pain' in boating on theĀ  canals and see which sideĀ  comes out on top..

Ā 

It was finely balanced for us but eventually C&RT lost our fees and away we went to unrestricted waters - no licence, no BSS and more importantly, no closures, and no breaking down of the infrastructure due to lack of maintenance.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ā 

Looks like a proper boat- what beam is it ? (I'd guess at about 8'6" or 9')

Ā 

I never wanted a rear cabin, but since having one I wouldn't be without it. So much space.

34 x 10 rear cabin is big enough for normal mattressĀ 

So sorted out the wiring to the Webasto heater so it works, in the process discovered the leisure batteries were creamcrackered!

I have a couple of Lifepo4s spare so looks like they will be pushed into use.

The real disaster is though a missing raw water pump! Apparently he ordered the wrong impeller so he took the pump off and fitted a very small electric one!! I am looking at crankpully driven ones currentlyĀ 

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same here, its lovely.

I hope it will be when finished, hull dark blue, and top structure cream. It has to come out for survey and antifouling so rubbing down the hull and spraying it seems like a plan at the moment.Ā 

Well thankfully Google came up TrumpsĀ  I have ordered a modified pump that still drives from the camshaft but has been upgraded to make it more reliable, also it only has one impeller listed unlike the original, so fingers crossed it will be sorted by next week. So that's more of his tatty wiring can be ripped out thankfully. What hurts is the original wiring is a work of art, its very neat and well done.

Is that a "Pedro"?

Quite popular on the River Great Ouse - there is one at the OVRC in St Neots.Ā 

We were well entertained, a good few years ago, waiting whilst it was coaxed through the road bridge at Offord Lock on it's delivery trip from Buckden Marina.

This is what Jones has on them -Ā https://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/pedro-30-boats-for-sale.htmlĀ 

Chris

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, CIEL said:

Is that a "Pedro"?

Quite popular on the River Great Ouse - there is one at the OVRC in St Neots.Ā 

We were well entertained, a good few years ago, waiting whilst it was coaxed through the road bridge at Offord Lock on it's delivery trip from Buckden Marina.

This is what Jones has on them -Ā https://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/pedro-30-boats-for-sale.htmlĀ 

Chris

Ā 

The 34' Pedro Donky is 11' 2" beam, . (Ā£250,000 new)

Ā 

The De Groot Beachcraft is 34' x 11' and were built in the 80's and doesn't look like Peters boat ............

Ā 

Buy 1983 De Groot Scheepsbouw Beachcraft - Daily Boats

Ā 

OP says his is 10' beam so not sure what it isĀ 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ā 

The 34' Pedro Donky is 11' 2" beam, . (Ā£250,000 new)

Ā 

The De Groot Beachcraft is 34' x 11' and were built in the 80's and doesn't look like Peters boat ............

Ā 

Buy 1983 De Groot Scheepsbouw Beachcraft - Daily Boats

Ā 

OP says his is 10' beam so not sure what it isĀ 

De Groot built many other models over the years.

Ā 

https://uk.boats.com/power-boats/1975-de-groot-10-9155349/

Edited by Naughty Cal

So, I think it's a 1980 Pedro, the interior is very similar to the link above, it's down on CRT site as fiberglass but it's not it's all steel, I paid 14.5k for it which I think is a bargain I will measure the lenght beam instead of relying on CRT, all the rails on the boat are stainless so that might be a give away?

I have got lots done today and we have had a little outside cruise which was lovely, will report back with more informationĀ 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

So, I think it's a 1980 Pedro, the interior is very similar to the link above, it's down on CRT site as fiberglass but it's not it's all steel, I paid 14.5k for it which I think is a bargain I will measure the lenght beam instead of relying on CRT, all the rails on the boat are stainless so that might be a give away?

I have got lots done today and we have had a little outside cruise which was lovely, will report back with more informationĀ 

Gruno perhaps. They used stainless rails as do Lissen.

Ā 

Older Pedro's had steel rails not stainless.

Dutch LadyĀ Built by Altena - Length : 10.5 metres ( 34 feet 5 inches ) - Beam : 3.1 metres ( 10 feet 2 inches ) - Draft : 1 metre ( 3 feet 3 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 50 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 517101 as a Powered Motor Boat. Ā ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Dutch LadyĀ Built by Altena - Length : 10.5 metres ( 34 feet 5 inches ) - Beam : 3.1 metres ( 10 feet 2 inches ) - Draft : 1 metre ( 3 feet 3 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 50 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 517101 as a Powered Motor Boat. Ā ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Now they make some nice boats!

Ā 

https://uk.boats.com/boats-for-sale/?make=altena

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

Ā 

The real disaster is though a missing raw water pump! Apparently he ordered the wrong impeller so he took the pump off and fitted a very small electric one!!Ā 

Hopefully this has not resulted in overheating

Ā 

20 hours ago, peterboat said:

I hope it will be when finished, hull dark blue, and top structure cream. It has to come out for survey and antifouling so rubbing down the hull and spraying it seems like a plan at the moment.Ā 

Coloured hulls can look very nice

image.png.cf4cfea2eb196eff002bf3851784128f.png

image.png.ffa2e9473a9e9cf0337ec79bc00a3e6c.png

Ā 

But the darker the colour the more they show the slightest imperfection.

Ā 

Ā 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

De Groot built many other models over the years.

Ā 

https://uk.boats.com/power-boats/1975-de-groot-10-9155349/

Ā 

Inded they did - I searched 70's and 80's models but no 34 x 10.

The one you linked to is 32'.

Ā 

Maybe Peter is going by the sellers 'documents' rather than a tape measure.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

ThanksĀ 

Ā 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It's now 44 hp as it has a new engine and on the licence application it says fibreglass strange?