Barras shire start key.

Featured Posts

Hi all. I've given up messaging Barras Shire about buying a spare key for the engine. They just don't answer my messages. So. does anyone know where I can get a key from? I don't want to buy the complete setup. ie new barrel etc. Surely it can't be that hard? I have attached a picture of my dash, along with my key. Thanks in advance guys. David

Narrowboat engine panel.jpg

Narrowboat engine key.jpg

Just now, David Mack said:

Can't you get one cut any any key cutting shop?

Hi David. I tried three key-cutting shops in Banbury. None could do it. Even tried the one that has a shop in Tescos. Sorry, can't remember their name. I was wondering if I could get one from an agricultural merchant. Coz it's a Yanmar engine. (I think). The same engine that is in a lot of mini diggers. Am I correct?

9 minutes ago, David J Smith said:

Haha. Love that Alan. Ok, I was wrong. Nothing like mine. Any idea's mate?

There is a guy on ebay that does something like 50 different plant keys for a 'few pounds' he reckons they will fit 99.99% of all known plant., however - no plant I'm aware of has a 'instrument panel' anything like a boat. I reckon the boat panels have been built by the mariniser using whatever components they wanted.

Just buy a new ignition switch with keys off ebay or t'internet probably be about 20 quid or less might not be barrus or yannar key but so what...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204423000015?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lZ24xoNWTEO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=7VsQHjvdQA-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

First one I found.

The OPs key has a rib pressed into the blank ........would need to see both sides to duplicate it,but no hardware store is going to have a blank like that ........a locksmith would have one for sure ,but at what price?........I have every key switch to fit the old style Caterpillar key .....basically just a Y shape with two prongs fit the lock...........fit everything from a 1920s Harley Davidson to a D9H............yet no scrote would know what it was.

1 hour ago, john.k said:

I have every key switch to fit the old style Caterpillar key .....basically just a Y shape with two prongs fit the lock...........fit everything from a 1920s Harley Davidson to a D9H............yet no scrote would know what it was.

I bet the ones who want a D9 will know what it is.

On 21/02/2024 at 17:47, Alan de Enfield said:

There is a guy on ebay that does something like 50 different plant keys for a 'few pounds' he reckons they will fit 99.99% of all known plant., however - no plant I'm aware of has a 'instrument panel' anything like a boat. I reckon the boat panels have been built by the mariniser using whatever components they wanted.

Thanks for that heads-up. He had the exact key. With the same number. A right result. Thanks again David

On 22/02/2024 at 20:13, David J Smith said:

Thanks for that heads-up. He had the exact key. With the same number. A right result. Thanks again David

My new key arrived today, It is perfect, Cost £2.75 plus 75p postage. Bar**s can take a jump. £21 quid ffs . Avin a larf eh.

Thanks for all your help again. Where would I be without you lovely lot?

David.

• Happy 2

16 hours ago, David J Smith said:

My new key arrived today, It is perfect, Cost £2.75 plus 75p postage. Bar**s can take a jump. £21 quid ffs . Avin a larf eh.

Thanks for all your help again. Where would I be without you lovely lot?

David.

Where from the link above?

Let people know for similar in the future👍

• Happy 1