BSS Gas Locker Regulations

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I've remodelled the old gas locker making it larger and replaced the base of the locker, etc.

Top access to the locker is tight i.e. just slightly larger than the bottle diameter.

As such, I decided to create an access panel as part of the rear wall of the locker but having just read up on the BSS regs I'm now doubtful that this will pass. The panel is only there for future maintenance of the locker and to make a much easier job of painting, etc as opposed to the usual standing on your head rigmarole.

The welldeck is between the cabin and gas locker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

20240220_183156.jpg

20240220_183322.jpg

20240220_183433.jpg

20240220_183526.jpg

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you may be in trouble with that 

After reading the regs I thought that, too!

Worst case scenario, I'll paint the majority of it and weld it up.

Having looked at the photos and just to clarify, the access panel is the rectangular panel. The round access panel is to inspect/access the water tank access panels.

Both the round and the rectangular panels must be gas tight, so they will both need to be welded up as will all those seams. A gas locker must be gas tight up to the top of the valve on the bottles which must be secured so that they do not move about. At the lowest point in the locker there must be hole overboard to dump any gas off the boat completely. The size depends on the volume of gas stored but most are around 20mm.

There must be no way any gas can escape back into the hull or onto a deck.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Both the round and the rectangular panels must be gas tight, so they will both need to be welded up as will all those seams. A gas locker must be gas tight up to the top of the valve on the bottles which must be secured so that they do not move about. At the lowest point in the locker there must be hole overboard to dump any gas off the boat completely. The size depends on the volume of gas stored but most are around 20mm.

I can't tell from the photo but could the area under the floor actually be sealed other than the new inspection hatch, with the overboard drains down there 

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thanks, Tracy,

Plan b it is then. Build a double locker on the rear deck and use the front for storage.

How does the 1m rule work i.e. the locker can't be within 1m of a hatch yet boats always have gas lockers either side of the stern doors?

4 minutes ago, Lee Crook said:

How does the 1m rule work i.e. the locker can't be within 1m of a hatch yet boats always have gas lockers either side of the stern doors?

I don't know. Nor do I understand how Piper boats get away with the bottle under the rear deck that is next to the rear hatch even with a drain overboard.

I presume that as long as no gas from the compartment can discharge onto a deck but can only run overboard to the sides of the boat it is deemed to be OK. 

I remember that some bottles were stored on older boats in a hatch with a door in the rear bulkhead. Any leak could run onto the back deck. I had to weld a few up and make the door in the side of the boat.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Lee Crook said:

Is it not a 0.5m rule for private boats 

image.png.b7f0d828ba6621a8c6f44872ab2be997.png

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Is it not a 0.5m rule for private boats 

image.png.b7f0d828ba6621a8c6f44872ab2be997.png

Thanks for the clarification. Just realised I way looking at the non-private regs.

However, most double stern doors are 610mm wide. Less a 13kg gas bottle either side of the doors at 310mm diameter. Split the difference and the bottles will still be less than 500mm from the doors.

E.g. as is common in many narrowboats the square seats either side of the doors are both typically used to store gas bottles yet both bottles would definitely be less than 500mm away from the doors.7979099.jpg.1485ced4fb65cb110b88f145bf15719d.jpg

8 minutes ago, Lee Crook said:

Thanks for the clarification. Just realised I way looking at the non-private regs.

However, most double stern doors are 610mm wide. Less a 13kg gas bottle either side of the doors at 310mm diameter. Split the difference and the bottles will still be less than 500mm from the doors.

E.g. as is common in many narrowboats the square seats either side of the doors are both typically used to store gas bottles yet both bottles would definitely be less than 500mm away from the doors.7979099.jpg.1485ced4fb65cb110b88f145bf15719d.jpg

What distance is required if the gas lockers  only have a top opening?

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What distance is required if the gas lockers  only have a top opening?

Really don't know. All a bit of a minefield. I'll call my local BSS inspector tomorrow and post an update.

Body is aching and brain is hurting! Must be beer o'clock! 😀

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As far as I know zero, I don't think it is specified.

I thought that was the idea of the sealed locker rising above the top of the cylinder and the bottom vents had to be outside the area. 

2 hours ago, Lee Crook said:

The 500mm horizontal distance applies to gas bottles stored in open locations (I.e. not in a locker) or lockers with a side door. If you have a locker that is gas tight up to above regulator level with a drain from the bottom leading over the side this clearance does not apply.

if you have the space available its worth thinking about allowing enough height for 19Kg rather 13Kg bottles as the 19kg bottles are better value should you need to use a lot of gas. Obviously depends on your intended use and whether you have a gas water heater etc.. whether 19Kg would be needed by you./worthwhile.

I looking at you pictures i assume the round inspection hatch is outside the proposed gas locker (and therefore doesn't need to be gas tight). looks a bit small if you ever need to get in the water tank 🙂 

sorry just re-read-  ignore the bit about small inspection hatch - presume you have a plastic or SS tank below that 🙂

Edited by jonathanA
ETA - inspection hatch comment
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

if you have the space available its worth thinking about allowing enough height for 19Kg rather 13Kg bottles as the 19kg bottles are better value should you need to use a lot of gas. Obviously depends on your intended use and whether you have a gas water heater etc.. whether 19Kg would be needed by you./worthwhile

Also worth pointing out that there are two different height 19Kg calor bottles. We can just get one of the shorter types in our gas locker and still close the lid. They are generally cheaper than the 13Kg size, and you obviously get more gas too.

Whether they are stocked in the same quantity by canal side yards is also worth considering, as is the extra weight carrying and lifting them.

Edited by rusty69

Remember to allow height for the high pressure hoses to rise from the top of the cylinder to the regulator so that gunk drains back into the cylinder and not down the distribution lines back to your Morco stopping it working…. DAMHIK.

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you may be in trouble with that 

21 hours ago, Lee Crook said:

After reading the regs I thought that, too!

Yes. Worth reading the regs first and finding out what you can and can't do before starting work!