Internet / WiFi

Martyn Hicks

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Martyn Hicks said:

The speed is all down to each individual network and how close the mast is away and also the equipment. With normal cost effective equipment there is no way you will get speeds of 300mbs inside a steel boat.  

Yes ok, but that doesn't really answer my question on data speeds. Let me put it another way: All other factors remaining the same, am I likely to see the same speeds with a Scancom data SIM as I currently get on Smarty data SIM, or would the Scancom SIM be a downgrade in terms of data speeds?

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes ok, but that doesn't really answer my question on data speeds. Let me put it another way: All other factors remaining the same, am I likely to see the same speeds with a Scancom data SIM as I currently get on Smarty data SIM, or would the Scancom SIM be a downgrade in terms of data speeds?

I haven’t got a Scancom sim. 
but I’ve got 02 EE and 3 so can test those prior to starting a job. 
I can go from a low of 0-5 mbs up to 120 mbs depending on the location and which network. 

as there are only 4 main providers 02 EE 3 and Vodaphone then surely Scansom is picking off one of them.  

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Is changing to Scancom as simple as inserting the SIM into the router and that's it, or is there some registration process?

Changed to Scancom at home just swapped the 3 sim out and put the Scancom one in.

Changed to Scancom in the caravan just swapped the  Smarty sim out and put the Scancom one in. 

Both worked straight out if the box no difference in speeds in the same location.

4 minutes ago, Martyn Hicks said:

as there are only 4 main providers 02 EE 3 and Vodaphone then surely Scansom is picking off one of them.  

Actually they sell Sims from all 4.

They are not a network provider they just retail sims from the main providers.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes, some people eschew TV and look down their noses at those who watch it, but then it often turns out they spend their time watching streamed services on a computer! I'm not sure I really understand the difference as either way you're staring at a screen for hours.

I'm currently on Smarty/Three unlimited data but I'm paying £19/month so I think I'll change to one of these Scancom Three data SIMs. However, quite a few reviews on Amazon talk about slow data speeds. I've never faced that problem with Smarty so would Scancom be a downgrade? Also I assume all these 5G data SIM cards are suitable for 4G antennas? I don't think there's any 5G data signal in my area anyway and unlikely to be for the foreseeable...

Is changing to Scancom as simple as inserting the SIM into the router and that's it, or is there some registration process?

All 5G SIMs work fine on 4G, with some networks and MVNOs (not Three) a 4G-only SIM is cheaper.

Same data speed, no registration -- just plug the SIM in and go.

7 minutes ago, Martyn Hicks said:

as there are only 4 main providers 02 EE 3 and Vodaphone then surely Scansom is picking off one of them

Scancom is part of EE so the answer to @blackrose's question is whether 3 and EE have different coverage in a particular area...

1 minute ago, 1st ade said:

Scancom is part of EE so the answer to @blackrose's question is whether 3 and EE have different coverage in a particular area...

Scancom are not part of EE, they are independent and sell prepaid SIMs on all the networks. 

13 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Changed to Scancom at home just swapped the 3 sim out and put the Scancom one in.

Changed to Scancom in the caravan just swapped the  Smarty sim out and put the Scancom one in. 

Both worked straight out if the box no difference in speeds in the same location.

👍 Thanks Julian

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

All 5G SIMs work fine on 4G, with some networks and MVNOs (not Three) a 4G-only SIM is cheaper.

Same data speed, no registration -- just plug the SIM in and go.

And thanks Ian

Who does one talk to with the Scancom SIM if there are problems with the service? Do they have a functioning customer service dept that can be contacted, or can you just talk to Three, EE, etc customer services? Somehow I doubt the second option would be available?

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Who does one talk to with the Scancom SIM if there are problems with the service? Do they have a functioning customer service dept that can be contacted, or can you just talk to Three, EE, etc customer services? Somehow I doubt the second option would be available?

Email to Scancom customer services.

Quick reply and sorts stuff quickly.

Only downside is there is no way I found to check your remaining data, not that I have got near my data limit. I have the counter on the router set to reset every month so can reference that I've used 109gb in the last 10 days 

For £14 a month savings over Three I can put up with that 😉

2 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Email to Scancom customer services.

Quick reply and sorts stuff quickly.

Only downside is there is no way I found to check your remaining data, not that I have got near my data limit. I have the counter on the router set to reset every month so can reference that I've used 109gb in the last 10 days 

For £14 a month savings over Three I can put up with that 😉

Thanks again

I don't know Scancom /never used them, but the 'model' of selling multinetwork capable devices with sims from more than one provider is not uncommon in the business mobile world.  i know of several companies that do it, SAS, Cradlepoint and Blue Wireless to name a few.  These types of organisations are even sometimes used by the big network providers to help with coverage, service levels or to avoid licence issues for their large enterprise /multinational customers. Most just provide 'internet access'  some are a bit more sophisticated and provide private peering or tunnel back to 'gateways'.  although just simple internet access is usually the simplest/cheapest. 

5 hours ago, GUMPY said:

I think there are a few on here that can't understand how the Scancom business model works 🤔

Their business model is that they deal with the networks on the same basis as business/company network users, buy large numbers of prepaid long-term SIMs on the basis that few users will actually use the full data allowance, and sell them on. The Three one I got (500Gb/mth for about £5/mth) is actually labelled as a Three Business SIM...

ScancomThreeSIMsmall.png

Edited by IanD

21 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I don't know Scancom /never used them, but the 'model' of selling multinetwork capable devices with sims from more than one provider is not uncommon in the business mobile world.  i know of several companies that do it, SAS, Cradlepoint and Blue Wireless to name a few.  These types of organisations are even sometimes used by the big network providers to help with coverage, service levels or to avoid licence issues for their large enterprise /multinational customers. Most just provide 'internet access'  some are a bit more sophisticated and provide private peering or tunnel back to 'gateways'.  although just simple internet access is usually the simplest/cheapest. 

Scancom are primarily a business supplier who have recently started courting other users such as the charitable sector and mobile home users. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Their business model is that they deal with the networks on the same basis as business/company network users, buy large numbers of prepaid long-term SIMs on the basis that few users will actually use the full data allowance, and sell them on. The Three one I got (500Gb/mth for about £5/mth) is actually labelled as a Three Business SIM...

ScancomThreeSIMsmall.png

I trust that explanation wasn't for me, I know full well how they operate.

2 hours ago, Paul C said:

Seeek looks interesting. 3gb/month for free, funded by SMS advertising. I think it’s eSIM only though.

Maybe not 😱

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10559377

10 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Scancom are primarily a business supplier who have recently started courting other users such as the charitable sector and mobile home users. 

I trust that explanation wasn't for me, I know full well how they operate.

Maybe not 😱

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10559377

Correct, it was for the benefit of others who don't... 😉

People are suspicious because their prices are so low, but they've been operating like this (and expanding recently) for more than 25 years IIRC, which suggests they're a pretty safe bet.

Edited by IanD