Dave Clark boatbuilders

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Me and my partner are have put down a deposit with Dave Clarke boatbuilders, we are buying a 10ft by 50ft wide beam, I’ve tried to find as much information as possible on Dave Clarke but it seems I’m finding mixed reviews, would anyone mind sharing their experiences? 

thanks in advance :) 

Don't you look at reviews/check out builders before putting down deposits?  Maybe you're subconsciously looking to pull out (sorry I've spent all day with my mate who analysis this sort of stuff!).... sure you'll be fine!

4 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Don't you look at reviews/check out builders before putting down deposits?  Maybe you're subconsciously looking to pull out (sorry I've spent all day with my mate who analysis this sort of stuff!).... sure you'll be fine!

We did look for reviews but we didn’t find much information at all really, we have found a few things, what we have found seems favourable but as this is our first time, I’m still cautious. 

6 minutes ago, Erin1 said:

We did look for reviews but we didn’t find much information at all really, we have found a few things, what we have found seems favourable but as this is our first time, I’m still cautious. 

I find myself wondering if you "bought the price", rather than bought the boat you want. 

I think there have been previous threads about Dave Clark boats (and the same jokes). Have a search.

I had a look myself and yes there is at least one previous thread, here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/118237-boat-shell-advice/#comment-2928547

They are not handsome boats in my opinion, but beauty is in the eye, and all that...

image.png.e2b11808be85146fbcf895f58ff4fd72.png

Solid enough Boats from a competent fabricator. My mum had a Clarke 55 footer for 12 yars and traveled extensively. My Boat at the time was a 55 footer by a Wednesbury yard (Tony Gregory). I found the Clarke Boat inferior and a bit tinny but it did the job and was no actually a problem. 

He was at the lower end of the shell prices but not a real budget shell so it doesn't have any particularly obvious faults. I dislike them but have high standards from an aesthetic point of view so they don't suit me. 

Decent quality welding. 

If you like the shape and so on then that is fine, I would not expect any trouble with what you get. The important thing (For me) would be that everything below the waterline is painted with a good epoxy paint - more than 1 coat - and not just bitumen, once bitumen is applied you are pretty much stuck with having to use bitumen for ever unless you remove it (What fun) and it is inferior to modern paint.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

They are not handsome boats in my opinion, but beauty is in the eye, and all that...

They are ordering a wide beam boat - it will not be handsome whoever builds it!

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

They are ordering a wide beam boat - it will not be handsome whoever builds it!

Which,of course, can be said for narrowboats too, unless you happen to like your boat skip shaped.😂

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

West country accent?

An affectation caused by being descended from toffs and pirates. 

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Which,of course, can be said for narrowboats too, unless you happen to like your boat skip shaped.😂

Also it depends what wide beam means. 

Both my Boats are wide beam 

I like 'em anyway and they can both do wide canals but I admit they arrr not typical canal Boats ! 

IMG_20240204_152632.jpg.7889c471fe53fc39a59b6505a45a912e.jpg

IMG_20231010_122608.jpg.c0825b0e3b03c17cdcf930b7099a6fb9.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

An affectation caused by being descended from toffs and pirates. 

Also it depends what wide beam means. 

Both my Boats are wide beam 

I like 'em anyway and they can both do wide canals but I admit they arrr not typical canal Boats ! 

IMG_20240204_152632.jpg.7889c471fe53fc39a59b6505a45a912e.jpg

IMG_20231010_122608.jpg.c0825b0e3b03c17cdcf930b7099a6fb9.jpg

You'll be able to make good money from that fishing boat if you ever get the courage to take it past the Thames barrier and out to sea. I can see you as a shrimpboat captain.

Its not courage it is getting the will to be arsed ! Interesting thought about working it that never occurred to me. The Boat was built for living on and very comfortable it is too. All mod cons in here. 

I can swim perfectly well just don't like swimming. 

I do giggle defacing  a 'No Swimming' sign by blocking or removing the first and last letters. 

In fact I am considering it as a name for one of the many dinghies as a No Swimming sticker is cheaper than a Boat name sticker. 

• Angry 1

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I can swim perfectly well just don't like swimming. 

I do giggle defacing  a 'No Swimming' sign by blocking or removing the first and last letters. 

In fact I am considering it as a name for one of the many dinghies as a No Swimming sticker is cheaper than a Boat name sticker. 

O swimmin?

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

No. I should have been clearer. The econ word. 

No wimmin. Geddit? 

I saw it by a mooring outside a pub once. 

I knew that. I even have a pic of one somewhere I took on the Avon somewhere.

Anyway. Dave Clarke (custom) widebeam. I've steered that one on the Thames it is a bit of a beast. 

DC%2002nov2013.jpg

Sort of Boat you get out of the way of. This Boat was actually partly inspired by my green inspection launch pictured above. 

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You been on  wimmin though?

Just the one. 

Another Boat made by Clarkey. This time a narrow and same owner as the one above. This was also a real beast to handle and with a steel wheelhouse with double glazing (should have used perspex to stop the condensation and keep the weight down) it did roll. 

Got to Tyrley locks with a fixed wheelhouse which is impressive. Engine is in the back cabin. 

Very funny article that one I did a great trip on it where the two of us did 50 Grand Union locks in one day. 

100-0072_IMG.JPG.opt860x645o0,0s860x645.

most GU locks I had done single handed was 32. 50 with two of us was quite a long day but much enjoyed. 

To the OP @Erin1 in terms of quality of build I doubt you will have any problems. I did notice on the website the contact is Craig Clarke but its still the same place and having been on several of their Boats I would say they are basically good. Not to my taste in terms of aesthetics but sound. 

I have no idea how healthy the company itself is but the Boat will probably be alright. 

Some people find the look of a Boat important and are a bit picky. Its possible that some negative reviews are related to that factor.

Although they are interesting I basically dislike every Clarke Boat I have been on. Its not a soundness thing but I just don't like the style and the fine details of the build. Things like undersized or badly located mooring hardware annoys me for example. 

This is not critical and depending on how you use the Boat it could be completely irrelevant but some people take details seriously and would say a Boat was bad because of something minor. 

It is also true to say that a shell fabricator who is willing to work to customer designs can end up putting out bad Boats which then get criticised later. A lot of 'higher end' shell fabricators would not do that.  

Its quite risky to do this in reputation terms as people do notice. 

In the photo posted above of the grey narrow Boat shell the stem post is made in such a way that it is very likely to get caught on gates going up. This is a poor design because although there should be a fender you want to make the stem rounded so it can't catch even without a fender. Its a basic design problem. If you do end up with a Boat with this kind of stem (pointy end) be careful in locks. 

Edited by magnetman
Clarke not Clark.

45 minutes ago, magnetman said:

In the photo posted above of the grey narrow Boat shell the stem post is made in such a way that it is very likely to get caught on gates going up. This is a poor design because although there should be a fender you want to make the stem rounded so it can't catch even without a fender. Its a basic design problem. If you do end up with a Boat with this kind of stem (pointy end) be careful in locks. 

This effect is partly mitigated by the stem post being near as dammit dead vertical. That horrible boat being sold by EastEuropeLady a few years ago looked similar but the stem post leaned forward IIRC, making the effect you describe far worse.

On the plus side, the Dark Clarke fatties you've posted have a nice sheer on the hulls, which is totally missing on the NB pic I posted. 

Is this the one that's already built as a sail away? Extremely good value for money whatever it's little shortfalls - I can see why your wary, if it's too good to be true it probably is. 

If it is the already built wide beam, pay a deposit and balance on collection/ delivery so no issues going bust during the build.

If the company didn't have a reputation I would be very very wary.