What a load of bollards!

Midnight

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

How does the bollard make it easier to get a wheelchair on and off? 

i'm in favour of making things accessible but I don't see how a tall fancy bollard helps in this regard. 

Surely if the able bodied person does the locks then they can also tie the Boat up. 

It indicates clearly whicj moorings are reserved for less able boaters, get past the point of only thinking how to tie the boat up

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

Sky blue pink with yellow knobs on them to please all gendas is the way to go. 🥴

All genders? Men are from Mars, Women from Venus, the other genders from Uranus. 

New post merged...edit. 

There's an idea going around that someone in a wheelchair is useless, only to be pushed on and off the boat. Just maybe, they might like to try doing a bit more, whatever they are capable of trying or doing. Taller bollards assist with this. Having worked with people with disabilities they know what they might like to try or be capable of, they may need support and encouragement. Or not, let them get on with it. 

Edited by Jim Riley
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Isn't it a bit patronising to have special types of bollards? 

Does he take sugar?

Certainly not, I'd give people the opportunity. A bit like putting someone in a bucket harness and hoicking them up in the air, or it taking 3 people to help someone experience tightrope walking. By your reasoning, giving them a special set of wheels on a chair is equally patronising. Do you take sugar? 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

Canals are so aesthetically pleasing it seems a shame to add things which don't fit into the picture. 

They allow terrible wide beans so I guess nothing is sacred. 

Not to mention all those ghastly, gratingly horrid stainless steel water tap bollards fitted when they ripped out all the aesthetically-pleasing black-painted cast iron historic ones. 

I'm surprised they didn't need Planning Permission to do that. 

36 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Who's asking you, I was addressing your carer😂

My carer does not view the content on the forum as I banned them. 

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not to mention all those ghastly, gratingly horrid stainless steel water tap bollards fitted when they ripped out all the aesthetically-pleasing black-painted cast iron historic ones. 

I'm surprised they didn't need Planning Permission to do that. 

There may have been elfin safety issues with the old ones. They were a bit solid and could take the top of a finger orf if closed too vigorously. 

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There may have been elfin safety issues with the old ones. They were a bit solid and could take the top of a finger orf if closed too vigorously. 

I thought that was the new ones not solid but quite capable of slicing a finger badly

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

How does the bollard make it easier to get a wheelchair on and off? 

i'm in favour of making things accessible but I don't see how a tall fancy bollard helps in this regard. 

Surely if the able bodied person does the locks then they can also tie the Boat up. 

If you read the article (CRT's, not N BW), the bollard is just a part of it. The mooring area will be improved too, presumably with a nonslip surface as well other ideas to make it easier for a boater to get on and off. Dunno what. I doubt it's an escalator. There's a bit of thought going into the whole gubbins, it's not just sticking a new stick into the ground. Someone's found a nice little earner, you can't beat being a consultant these days.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Except those weren't really historic. They were put in by BW in - I'm guessing - the 1980s or 90s.

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Except those weren't really historic. They were put in by BW in - I'm guessing - the 1980s or 90s.

There looks to be the remains of a tap in the wall at lock 6 of the Atherstone flight. Just a blanked end of pipe

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If you read the article (CRT's, not N BW), the bollard is just a part of it. The mooring area will be improved too, presumably with a nonslip surface as well other ideas to make it easier for a boater to get on and off.

From what I have seen the request from AWA is to have a length with improved surface which is 84ft long, with bollocks at 6ft, 20ft, 42ft, 64ft, and 78ft from one end of the area, and about 4ft wide. with the B's about a foot away from the edge.

As to the dreadful stainless steel taps, I believe they were a reaction to the "new" water regulations which said that any tap were a hose could be connect had to have a double back pressure valve fitted on the supply. This applied to any new or repaired tap. The reverse flow valves available at the time would not fit in the cast iron pedestals so the dangerous steel ones appeared. Hopefully they are now being removed slowly, needs a new boaters rep to get on top of that one!

10 hours ago, Ian Mac said:

From what I have seen the request from AWA is to have a length with improved surface which is 84ft long, with bollocks at 6ft, 20ft, 42ft, 64ft, and 78ft from one end of the area, and about 4ft wide. with the B's about a foot away from the edge.

As to the dreadful stainless steel taps, I believe they were a reaction to the "new" water regulations which said that any tap were a hose could be connect had to have a double back pressure valve fitted on the supply. This applied to any new or repaired tap. The reverse flow valves available at the time would not fit in the cast iron pedestals so the dangerous steel ones appeared. Hopefully they are now being removed slowly, needs a new boaters rep to get on top of that one!

Intentional or spillchucker? 😉

I have had a change of heart. 

The new bollards are great. Ideal to have so many options for tying up. Is it discrimination if we can't all have such lovely hardware? 

50 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The new bollards are great. Ideal to have so many options for tying up. Is it discrimination if we can't all have such lovely hardware? 

JB Priestley's favourite line in all literature was the Dodo's ruling after the caucus race in Alice in Wonderland: "Everybody has won, and everybody must have prizes."

As I'm going all literary, one of mine is Steinbeck's "We should all be happy as kings."

Not only should we all have access to decent moorings and shiny bollards, everybody should have a boat provided by a caring government sponsored body, obviously with no increase in licence costs or taxes.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

I used the water point today treading through mud and pools of water, being careful where to put me feet when stepping onto the bank, flicking the rope over the bollards to save bending down in the filth, I thought I’m going to miss this muck when this is all so perfect with nicely ironed concrete and all perfect perfectiony stuff.