CRT looking for volunteers

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, IanD said:

It does (it's still an old green paper one), but I also did training/testing years ago so I could drive a bigger (17-seater?) minibus for a local community organisation -- I think this was their requirement, not a legal one.

Probably I had to do the same but it was a County Council test/requirement not a legal one.

If you want to be a volly lockee just turn up with a windless and get cracking how on the west end of the Leeds and Liverpool there is a Facebook page you go asking for help going down and they turn up mob handed!

• Greenie 1

On 25/01/2024 at 16:25, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I used to drive the school mini bus,

We got assessed every two years by the local council to make sure we were all competent drivers,

Used to hire and drive Luton vans too. 

This system of extra tests is simply a proper good money earner for the authorities. Nowt to do with safety, government realised there was more money to be made. 

But then the whole system has been tightened up since I took a license. I never had a theory test. And I suspect some oldies on here took their test while packing a pipe and drinking a mild and bitter. 

I had a test in a town without a traffic light system (KINROSS 1963).

I'd been driving all sorts every day for a  year:  tractors, trucks, cattle waggon, cars with and without mIcromesh so was probably proficient. I had one lesson, in a Triumph Herald, but the instructor forgot to give me a lesson in hand signals, The Triumph Herald was difficult to do a three point turn, as it had 7.5m turning circle!

I gave up my licence a year or so ago, but sitting the test was a milestone I remember getting a pink paper, and all was well!

I think reversing a four wheel trailer with a David Brown 850 into a farm shed barely wider than the trailer was the most difficult. thing, but as I had to do it every day, I got better with practice!

I occasionally hired a 7.5 t van, I don't think I needed a special licence.

My DL had a whole alphanumeric list, and I was never sure if it included my motorbike! By the time I needed a licence upgrade to drive an HGV on the road, I was no longer interested.

Edited by LadyG

I remember that, when I was taking driving lessons in the late 1960's, the instructor said that "three-point turn" was a misnomer, as the requirement was just to turn the vehicle round using forward and reverse gears.  I took my test in Cardiff, where the camber of some side roads was so great that the crown of the road was higher than the pavement. On those roads, doing a 3 point turn used to  involve doing a hill start as well.

On 26/01/2024 at 13:57, Oddjob said:

If you want to be a volly lockee just turn up with a windless and get cracking how on the west end of the Leeds and Liverpool there is a Facebook page you go asking for help going down and they turn up mob handed!

If you mean the Wigan Flight Crew, most of them are official CRT vollies.  

They also like to point out it's not a booking system - there's no guarantee anyone will turn up just because you've posted on Facebook.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you mean the Wigan Flight Crew, most of them are official CRT vollies.   

I thought that had said good bye to CRT about two years ago. Mind you they are a good crew.

On 26/01/2024 at 13:57, Oddjob said:

Excellent, this is how it should be!

And the converse is if you want to do the locks yourself, not asking for vollies should be enough. You shouldn't have to keep asking them to stop hassling you, and to leave you alone to enjoy locking yourself through.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2024 at 15:48, Ronaldo47 said:

I remember that, when I was taking driving lessons in the late 1960's, the instructor said that "three-point turn" was a misnomer, as the requirement was just to turn the vehicle round using forward and reverse gears.  I took my test in Cardiff, where the camber of some side roads was so great that the crown of the road was higher than the pavement. On those roads, doing a 3 point turn used to  involve doing a hill start as well.

I took my driving test in Surbiton, Surrey. Some of the avenues there are quite wide, and my examiner chose one of these for me to "turn the car around using forward and reverse gears". 

I turned going forwards, reversed back across the road perfectly, then a lady chose to park exactly where I was turning, prevent me from completing the move.

I didn't know what to do, but my examiner got out and remonstrated with the lady, and got her to move along the road a bit and park there.

By now I was completely flustered and couldn't release the pawl button on the handbrake. When I finally managed it I shot across the road and had to reverse back again as I didn't have time to turn properly, turning an easy 3 point turn into a 5 point turn. I was convinced that I had failed and was very pleasantly surprised when the examiner announced that I had passed. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Some of the avenues there are quite wide, and my examiner chose one of these for me to "turn the car around using forward and reverse gears". 

My examiner picked a very narrow street.

I did a seven point turn, and he commented after the test that he thought it would probably have taken me nine.  Didn't hit the kerbs though so it was a pass.