Ellesmere CRT dry dock facilities

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if pressure washing equipment is available/ included? I can't see any information on the CRT website. 

And are you able to get the boat high enough to black the baseplate? 

Haven't done DIY before so thanks for any information. 

51 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Does anyone know if pressure washing equipment is available/ included? I can't see any information on the CRT website. 

And are you able to get the boat high enough to black the baseplate? 

Haven't done DIY before so thanks for any information. 

Fairly sure it's a bare hire....so you need to provide everything you need....and it might be a bit of a crawl underneath to do the base plate.

I used it a few years ago.

You have to hire a pressure washer from a local company if you don't have one yourself.  Hire by the day. Hire company phone number is usually displayed on the wall and they are aware of the requirements for boaters, e.g. pressure hose length etc.  They also can provide (Hire) 110v to 240V converters so you can use your own power tools as CRT power points are 110V.  Not a lot of height under the boat, perhaps a foot or so if I recall correctly. 

You can park your car in the CRT yard adjacent to the dock but also be aware that there no shower facilities and the hot water comes from an instant water heater in the adjacent boaters facilities.

32 minutes ago, Chris T said:

The link to the terms and conditions on CRTs website didn't work,

In that case be also aware that CRT demand your insurance has cover for £1million (IIRC) in order to use the dock. It has to be declared when booking online.

The good news is my insurance company did not charge me any extra for the increase!

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Last time I looked with a view to using it, I found the restrictions on use power wise and HSE were too much and went elsewhere.

Not surprised. I think their Wigan on is 110Volt  so you have to hire suitable equipment 

7 hours ago, Rincewind said:

I used it a few years ago.

You have to hire a pressure washer from a local company if you don't have one yourself.  Hire by the day. Hire company phone number is usually displayed on the wall and they are aware of the requirements for boaters, e.g. pressure hose length etc.  They also can provide (Hire) 110v to 240V converters so you can use your own power tools as CRT power points are 110V.  Not a lot of height under the boat, perhaps a foot or so if I recall correctly. 

You can park your car in the CRT yard adjacent to the dock but also be aware that there no shower facilities and the hot water comes from an instant water heater in the adjacent boaters facilities.

There used to be shower facilities as we used them when building the Montgomery nature reserve.

19 hours ago, Sue68 said:

There used to be shower facilities as we used them when building the Montgomery nature reserve.

there are showers, 

but not for everyone,

you have to be in the know and in with the in crowd to use them,

…I’ve never been invited to use them,

but if I were paying to use the dock I might be inclined to chase it up

6 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

you have to be in the know and in with the in crowd to use them,

Very Interesting........ When I enquired (pre Covid) I was told point blank by a member of CRT that there were none.

10 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Very Interesting........ When I enquired (pre Covid) I was told point blank by a member of CRT that there were none.

unless the bloke who told me he’d been using them was bullshitting me 🤷‍♀️,

I had no reason to think he would be,

Obviously my face does not fit! :unsure:

I was fortunate enough that I lived not too far away.

Will not use them again, especially as the price has gone up.  For what you get, probably poor value for money but you would have to compare CRT prices with private docks.

Not the right part of the world for the OP, but for not much more the latest EP price you can hire the Aylesbury Canal Society slipway at Circu Field Basin for a week. It is indoors in a heated shed, the boat can be jacked up to 3ft above floor level making access to the bottom easy. The hire price includes the use of a powerful pressure washer, bathroom with shower, kitchen, painting and general workshops and rechargeable worklights. Only electricity and heating are charged extra.

http://aylesburycanal.org.uk/our-services/slipway-dry-dock/

On 18/01/2024 at 19:17, ditchcrawler said:

Not surprised. I think their Wigan on is 110Volt  so you have to hire suitable equipment 

After you've signed the paperwork to agree you won't use a step up transformer ....