The Wash Crossing and River Nene - which direction?

Featured Posts

I’m looking to do the Wash crossing in September and would be grateful for some advice please, specifically with regard to the pros and cons of which direction to do it, and not just with the Wash crossing but also the pros and cons of which direction to do the River Nene in.

I’ve researched on here and watched some vlogs so I’ve a general idea of what to expect, and I’m fairly experienced with some other big tidals having done the Severn Estuary, Ribble Link, Mersey etc, but with the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum I’d really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions please.

I'm not sure there is a lot to choose between going up or down the Nene. I do both single handed, without too much difficulty. If there's a strong current then I would prefer to go upstream - it's easier to moor, and to control the boat more generally, and you can normally just go straight into the lock (if the guillotines have been left up, as they should be).  But if there's a strong current the river is quite likely to be closed to navigation very soon anyway.

As to the Wash, I've done two of the four possibilities: Denver/Kings Lynn to Boston, Boston to Wisbech. The Denver/KL section is quite challenging - lots of mudbanks - but that's why you have a pilot. 

It's normally best to stop on the way at Wisbech, on the pontoon moorings in the marina.  This is probably a bit easier if going from Boston to the Nene. There is plenty of  room before you get there to turn round, and then you point downstream, under power, and let the tide carry you backwards / upstream onto the moorings.  If you are going from Peterborough/Dog-in-a-Doublet on the ebb then you need to go beyond the marina, turn around, and then punch the tide to get back to the moorings.

Denver/Kings Lynn is trickier, but quite exciting. The mud banks on the tidal Great Ouse do move around quite a bit, and you need to get the timing right in both directions to avoid running out of water. 

So in summary I would do Boston to Wisbech, or if you are feeling a bit more adventurous Boston to Denver.  Please say hello to Daryl if you use him as your pilot. He requires good quality bacon butties throughout the trip.

Lots of resources here: https://scholargypsy.org.uk/washing/ including some annotated photos of Wisbech pages 8 and 8M here (very large file: https://nbsg.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/nene_guide_aug2015.pdf ).

Here is Wisbech. 

dscf6253.jpg 

PS you may find this helpful about the practicalities of visiting the Nene, and/or the Middle Level and the Great Ouse.

https://goba.org.uk/a-guide-for-visitors-to-the-east/

• Greenie 2

I prefer going downhill on the Nene but only just- it makes little odds unless you happen to be on the River same time as a lazy git going uphill who leaves the gilly down and top gates open. Its a bonus then 😀-going uphill you will cycle the lock three times. Not so great if you are unlucky at the manual locks.The locks are a pain unlike the G Ouse.

Nene consistently remains my  top River for getting stuck on /waiting for it to reopen for either stoppages or SSA so be prepared to be waiting somewhere -no time of year is safe. I usually lose a week or twos wages on it.  😀

Lovely River though.

Never done the lumpy bit..

• Greenie 1

We were going down the Nene, across to Boston then Lincoln, Trent doing an extended Leicester Ring 2 summers ago before Midnight broke Wadenhoe lock the morning we got there...

He didnt really, the gearbox which had been failing for weeks finally gave up the ghost with the boat after him.

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

We were going down the Nene, across to Boston then Lincoln, Trent doing an extended Leicester Ring 2 summers ago before Midnight broke Wadenhoe lock the morning we got there...

He didnt really, the gearbox which had been failing for weeks finally gave up the ghost with the boat after him.

Isn't it an unwritten rule never go boating near Midnight as there will be a stoppage wherever he is 😅

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, GUMPY said:

Isn't it an unwritten rule never go boating near Midnight as there will be a stoppage wherever he is 😅

Aye, but I thought he was stuck in Yarkshire so presumed we were safe....

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

Aye, but I thought he was stuck in Yarkshire so presumed we were safe....

I always find an escape route

I don't think it matters which way you go. We did Boston to Wisbech last summer in the company of @Kendorr You need to book a pilot - we used Daryl Hill - recommended. (Stock your fridge)

It was quite rough after we left the sandbar and headed to Wisbech. I seem to remember the wind got up to17mph NNE so the turn into the shipping lane was rather exciting. 

9 hours ago, Midnight said:

the wind got up to17mph NNE so the turn into the shipping lane was rather exciting. 

Exciting maybe isn't the right word!

If anybody want's to look, nothing special, but a bit of film I managed to save.

46 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

If anybody want's to look, nothing special, but a bit of film I managed to save.

That's a nice video.  I liked the way the seal was showing you where to moor. I was impressed that your GPS tracking system measures the calories burnt by the boat.  And also a nice demonstration of the mooring procedure at Wisbech (14:00 onwards).  

I should note that MIDNIGHT came on the St Pancras Cruising Club trip on the tideway last year, and nothing broke.

Here's a short and technically rather rubbish clip of rough water on my first crossing. Daryl said the conditions were marginal (a decent wind from the NNE). A couple of the crew were seasick, but no crockery was broken. A nasty corkscrew motion. As you can see we took a dog leg course to avoid the wind being beam on. Once we turned to the south west (at low tide, so no more wind over tide) everything suddenly got much calmer.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

If anybody want's to look, nothing special, but a bit of film I managed to save..................

It was amazing how quickly that sandbar disappeared under the incoming tide. After that it was a bit hairy with the tide beam on until we turned into the channel. I got the feeling it was getting marginal when Daryl very softly asked if he could take the tiller at that point. Okay you edited out the bit where Duncan screamed and I sh*t myself. If it had got as bad as Simon's trip I would have left you there and got the bus. Never the less great video memories. Thanks Kevin.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

It was amazing how quickly that sandbar disappeared under the incoming tide. After that it was a bit hairy with the tide beam on until we turned into the channel. I got the feeling it was getting marginal when Daryl very softly asked if he could take the tiller at that point. Okay you edited out the bit where Duncan screamed and I sh*t myself. If it had got as bad as Simon's trip I would have left you there and got the bus. Never the less great video memories. Thanks Kevin.

I don't think there is a regular bus, although the Hunstanton Flyer does operate a service on request...

https://rnli.org/what-we-do/lifeboats-and-stations/our-lifeboat-fleet/rescue-hovercraft

14 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Okay you edited out the bit where Duncan screamed and I sh*t myself. If it had got as bad as Simon's trip I would have left you there and got the bus. Never the less great video memories. Thanks Kevin.

It was a once in a lifetime trip for me Frank, my thanks go to you for organising it all. My new project only has a 10 hp single cylinder engine, I won't be taking her over, although I'll still be using the Trent.

I actually didn't edit it out, I've looked and listened very carefully and the camera didn't pick it up!!

Hope you both have a good 2024.

Thanks for the info, links, and videos. As with most things there are pros and cons. For me it definitely won't be the Kings Lynn option, and for the other crossing I'm favouring starting from the Boston end..... at the moment 🙂.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for the info, links, and videos. As with most things there are pros and cons. For me it definitely won't be the Kings Lynn option, and for the other crossing I'm favouring starting from the Boston end..... at the moment 🙂.

Good plan. Lots to see in Boston, and the Skegness canal is worth a visit

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2019/06/26/summer-cruise-2-waiting-in-boston/

dsc_4049.jpg

8 hours ago, Grassman said:

Thanks Simon. I've watched all your blogs, some several times, and those blogs of you others too, and I still haven't been put off doing it 😀.

Great. Sorry for posting stuff again - I can never remember who I have sent things to....

13 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Great. Sorry for posting stuff again - I can never remember who I have sent things to....

No, that was my choice as I like to watch them again and again so I can take it all in 🙂

• Greenie 1

On 18/01/2024 at 09:58, Grassman said:

Thanks Simon. I've watched all your blogs, some several times, and those blogs of you others too, and I still haven't been put off doing it 😀.

Good cos I doubt it could get any worse than that crossing Simon made. Daryl did confess to me that they really should not have been out it those conditions but hey ho they lived to tell the tale. As @Kendorr said "It's a once in a lifetime" thing - for most of us. You may find it exciting at times but you will definitely be happy you did it.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Good cos I doubt it could get any worse than that crossing Simon made. Daryl did confess to me that they really should not have been out it those conditions but hey ho they lived to tell the tale. As @Kendorr said "It's a once in a lifetime" thing - for most of us. You may find it exciting at times but you will definitely be happy you did it.

And thankfull for the brown trousers. 😁

Edited by Jon57
Ffs

8 hours ago, Midnight said:

On the day he did say the boat handled the conditions well, and he was glad it wasn't a widebeam - he finds those much less comfortable!