Ward's boat up for sale on CBS site

MtB

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The best option is to cut it and use the bow section.

Yes I'd say only the front 12 or 15ft or so of that boat are the original bantock. The rest of it was built and stuck on back in the 60s or 70s. 

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

As for the Gleniffer I guess one would need to know the company directors to understand what they had done. 

I'd say they are all dead by now.

The smallest engine they ever marketed was the DB2. If you are right about them building a single cylinder, they never put it into production.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Yes I know. I'm a bit of a font of knowledge for Gleniffers. 

Oh excellent. Mine makes this alarming "clonk" type of noise every so often. What is it?

Shouldn't it be "fount" of knowledge, rather than font?

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes I'd say only the front 12 or 15ft or so of that boat are the original bantock. The rest of it was built and stuck on back in the 60s or 70s. 

Personally, I would keep the hull 'as is'. It's an interesting early riveted conversion. I fear rather a lot of repair is needed but at least the baseplate won't have worn much in the past 25yrs...

The biggest problem is likely to be the number hazmat suits you would get through whilst decontaminating the interior, but I would be inclined to cut the cabin straight off, get whatever the remains of the engine are out and reconstruct it as a rather nice tug along the lines of The Governor with a 20-40hp twin or three cylinder vintage engine, to be determined by what turned up. Set up like that, I don't think too many people would then recognise its recent history.

Alec

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Oh excellent. Mine makes this alarming "clonk" type of noise every so often. What is it?

A diesel engine. 

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

Personally, I would keep the hull 'as is'. It's an interesting early riveted conversion. I fear rather a lot of repair is needed but at least the baseplate won't have worn much in the past 25yrs...

The biggest problem is likely to be the number hazmat suits you would get through whilst decontaminating the interior, but I would be inclined to cut the cabin straight off, get whatever the remains of the engine are out and reconstruct it as a rather nice tug along the lines of The Governor with a 20-40hp twin or three cylinder vintage engine, to be determined by what turned up. Set up like that, I don't think too many people would then recognise its recent history.

Alec

The back end is too ugly in my opinion. It would never be a pretty Boat without an awful lot of work. 

I personally think it is rather terrible although still quite interesting. 

IMG_20240103_175810.jpg.c4dcf95c0d093fbd7f7e26dddb629bc8.jpg

it might be a camera thing but there appears to be a huge hole. 

Maybe a good prop for a canal based zombie film?

the tiller is also in a silly place a bit like those narrow BW work flat things. 

Maybe it was a dredger or something. 

The back end, above and below water,  looks near identical to the arrangements Harris Bros made on the six rivetted boats they built as pleasure craft in about 1960.  Not surprising if they also shortened Mr Ward's boat.

N

I suspect the slab sided swim may not be the most hydrodynamic, but it would probably be OK. I think the counter could be made respectable. Perhaps Governor would be pushing it, but it might lend itself to a Bittell or Pacific style alteration. See:

Bittell.jpeg

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Governor would surely be pulling it?🙄

The Harris 'swim'  works surprisingly well, despite appearances.  When making the water wobble it tends to dig big holes in the water either side at the start of the taper but then doesn't produce as much wash as might be expected, while the whole thing gets along rather quickly.  It steers backwards quite well too.

N

25 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Governor would surely be pulling it?🙄

The Harris 'swim'  works surprisingly well, despite appearances.  When making the water wobble it tends to dig big holes in the water either side at the start of the taper but then doesn't produce as much wash as might be expected, while the whole thing gets along rather quickly.  It steers backwards quite well too.

N

Maybe a nice Boat for electric drive. 

I wonder how they dealt with the bottom replacement. These early Bantocks had a chine plank as well as wooden bottom. 

In this example (a Boat I once owned) the bent knees were retained but I think in some they are cut and the Boat made slightly less deep. 

IMG_20240104_091718.jpg.84e41b63322313eb6ae6e421cf26eb92.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 03/01/2024 at 10:40, stagedamager said:

the Josher is the "Aster" i believe, stored at Bradley workshops. currently sunk but the hull didn't look too bad in the photo's i've seen.

I took this today 

DSCF9000s.jpg

Was that one of the BoA Boats? 

I know that Mr Ward had the old bantock cut and shut job plus some driftwood but there was another geyser a rasta who was on an old wooden motor which still looked vaguely useable except there was no motor any more. 

Is it that one ? 

Also someone has had the Z iron away.