Shower waste

ChrisL

Featured Posts

My design/layout means the shower waste runs under floor to opposite side to be sucked up by the gulper ready to pump out

my question is there a preference to the design and type of pipe to use as the waste(suction feed to gulper) 

I was think to use house rigid plastic waste pipe under floor, then turn up through the floor, at this point I would change to clear reinforced pvc pipe into gulper 

is this a good solution or should I run pvc reinforced direct from the shower trap

I just used clear, reinforced PVC hose (it doesn't have to be clear of course). Just watch out for poor quality hose from some of those eBay and Amazon sellers. I once bought some reinforced PVC hose from eBay and the wall thickness was so thin that as Jen mentioned, it just collapsed under suction. Completely useless!

The green stuff he's linked to is better than basic nylon reinforced hose - one brand is Kanaflex, but it doesn't seal quite as well around fittings as softer nylon hose and doesn't compress under a jubilee clip quite as easily. So if you use the harder green hose put a smear of silicone or some other sealant around the fitting before pushing the pipe on. And don't forget to put the jubilee clip over the pipe first! I actually use 2 clips where possible if the fitting is long enough, with the clip screws turned 180 degrees apart.

Edited by blackrose

If thinking of where along the length of the pipe to put the gulper, it's best to ensure the pipe from the shower to the gulper is longer than the pipe from the gulper to the discharge port.  That way when the water that remains in the pipe from the gulper to the discharge port drains back it will stay in the pipe to the shower rather than coming up the waste into the shower tray. 

47 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If thinking of where along the length of the pipe to put the gulper, it's best to ensure the pipe from the shower to the gulper is longer than the pipe from the gulper to the discharge port.  That way when the water that remains in the pipe from the gulper to the discharge port drains back it will stay in the pipe to the shower rather than coming up the waste into the shower tray. 

The Gulper should have a one-way rubber valve fitted to prevent the drain back up the plug hole from happening.

35 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It does, but isn't hugely effective. Over time, some back flow does happen.

Ok, I've never really understood why the pipe from shower to Gulper needed to be longer before because of the Gulper's output NRV, but I guess if the water sits on top of the NRV for long enough it will eventually find its way back through.

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Ok, I've never really understood why the pipe from shower to Gulper needed to be longer before because of the Gulper's output NRV, but I guess if the water sits on top of the NRV for long enough it will eventually find its way back through.

That's been my experience certainly. You can hear it gurgling!

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

Its only a but of rubber acting as a flap. What happens when a few hairs or grit stop on the face

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Wouldn't you have a strainer trap in the gulper inlet pipe to prevent that? 

No need for a strainer as Gulpers can handle all that sort of stuff, my one has been doing that for about 8 years without a strainer. I do hope I haven't spoken to soon.

Screwfix do 1 inch spiral reinforced suction hose for a good price. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/reinforced-suction-hose-with-filter-clear-7m-x-1-/78767

Not checked the chandleries but I think this might be cheaper. 

£3/metre and it is stainless steel wire. 

1 hour ago, Drayke said:

No need for a strainer as Gulpers can handle all that sort of stuff, my one has been doing that for about 8 years without a strainer. I do hope I haven't spoken to soon.

15 years now and no strainer. All a strainer will do is get blocked up and need clearing. The gulper pump mechanism and valves are designed to not to block and be wear resistant. Suffered all sorts of abuse. Long hair, mud, laundry lint. Still working. It's better for the application that the valves be very resistant to getting worn, stuck, or blocked than that they be non return. If you can design a pump that can do all that as reliably and also be very good at not back flowing for the same price, then good luck to you!

Gulper is a well named pump. 

I've had them on previous Boats although both current Boats have Jabsco water puppies. I prefer the Gulper on balance. Jabsco do a similar diaphragm pump possibly a bit more expensive.