Thinking about buying a boat

Isher1883

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

To be fair by dross I meant the tendency to go off at an irrelevant tangent to the point that the actual question becomes lost along with any useful answers with it.  

Nothing gets lost. Topic drift is a feature of every tinternet forum I've ever engaged with. You just have to review the thread  --  or use the search facility.

• Greenie 1

I may be in a minority but I find it quite entertaining when topics go on a meander. It's only when people start bitching and being hateful to each other that I turn away. I haven't even got my boat any more, but I still can't leave  the forum behind. 

• Greenie 3

The answer to a query is generally in the first half dozen responses. Read on for further knowledge and / or entertainment.

Edited by LadyG

On 08/02/2024 at 00:40, MrsM said:

I may be in a minority but I find it quite entertaining when topics go on a meander. It's only when people start bitching and being hateful to each other that I turn away. I haven't even got my boat any more, but I still can't leave  the forum behind. 

Me too, in the same boat (so to speak!)

• Happy 2

3 minutes ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

Mods-

How about automatically preventing more than say 6 replies to a thread for every post by the original poster?

If OP doesn't come back, thread is closed.

Oh I dunno. The chit chat threads descend into is part of the charm! Sometimes it's even relevant to the original question ;)

2 hours ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

Mods-

How about automatically preventing more than say 6 replies to a thread for every post by the original poster?

The thread doesn't belong to the OP

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

Mods-

Just because the OP isn't posting doesn't mean they or others are not reading, I have learnt a lot from this forum - mostly on threads I didn't start and often didn't post on. Automatically closing a thread at a certain point could mean it getting shut part way through a relevant exchange.

The moderators could do more to keep threads on topic, but some thread drift can still be relevant, so it would mean putting more pressure and work on people who volunteer which doesn't seem fair or realistic.

• Greenie 1

Anyone who doesn't like the way the forum works should just leave.

if one person doesn't like it,  everyone should accept his rules, get real, lol.

There is another forum, a couple of posts on there will soon shut them up !

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Sailbadthesinner said:

Mods-

Why? 

What on earth is the problem with threads running on for years? The thread about the SEMINGTON has re-ignited after almost 14 years!

If you want a forum run by different rules, why not start your own? You would not be the first. 

• Greenie 2

It’s an unorthodox suggestion but a look around the forum may suggest it’s not a runner. 

Some threads revert to topic, especially the stoppages ones where things happen or don’t and new images emerge. Then there’s the build threads where as work progresses the OP adds more (or others ask what’s happening) 

Some threads are as valid now as when they started- the historic narrowboat sale one and tonic required pictures of waterways now into 554 pages. 

Some posters are regular hijackers. Some with mirth some with merriment. Some with pithy one liners. Others with acerbic needles. 

Then some are in first with a degree of sense, others are in first with relative nonsense. Finally after a cut and paste post  of obscurity often with fearfulness and doom we get a definitive answer after post 7. This then is argued over till the 5th page or 15th on a Friday night. 

Then threads get refound as folk buy a particular boat build and find the thread on google 

The only threads to be locked at post 6 should be the political ones as there are only a few parties so obviously just the same number of views. I see the Brexit thread is on 12.000 th posting, aren’t we out yet? 

Maybe we all need locking up. 

IMG_7882.thumb.jpeg.d4882da0b3a609953ed75047765e154f.jpeg

IMG_4367.thumb.jpeg.ee899bf141a309bb2ea25bc81054aeea.jpeg

• Greenie 1