Escape from flooded mooring on the Soar

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

There is certainly too much fresh on .

Looks like a dryer spell is forecast from 4th January so hopefully the flooding will have chance to recede.

But the water level has has been higher in the last month or two.

On 31/12/2023 at 18:58, Richard T said:

Thanks for posting @matty40s

The levels were higher about 4 weeks ago as the floods went into the workshop for the first time for about 20years.

I hope they are on the ball today Richard, the Soar is higher than it has ever been, through the centre of Leicester, and Loughborough is in danger of serious flooding as the Pillings defence has overtopped.

I had to go a very torturous route yesterday to reach Sileby, where the brook flooded over for the 2nd time this week.

Screenshot_20240103-064457_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240103-064510_Chrome.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I hope they are on the ball today Richard, the Soar is higher than it has ever been, through the centre of Leicester, and Loughborough is in danger of serious flooding as the Pillings defence has overtopped.

I had to go a very torturous route yesterday to reach Sileby, where the brook flooded over for the 2nd time this week.

Screenshot_20240103-064457_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240103-064510_Chrome.jpg

And look at the flow rate

Screenshot_20240103-090042.thumb.png.f4f39f315f8b7affdb2ab152c08b649f.png

This is ours on the Great Ouse. Normal summer rate around 3 cumecs.Screenshot_20240103-085840.thumb.png.c87051659d86899dd33adfeb1a616ec5.png

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I'm not surprised given the amount of rain and the already waterlogged ground. I'm glad that we don't need to visit Tyto. I would like to see some pictures of the river at Sileby Mill.

That looks a bit mad. 

I lived on the Bishop Meadow lock long term moorings for a few months back in 2003 attending the university until Boating became more sensible.

I do recall the Soar below the lock going up and down like the Assyrian empire but didn't think the town would flood as there are those huge flood gates up near Millers Bridge. This was before the Pillings marina was dug. 

The graphs look crazy! 

On the Thames there is a fair bit of water but nothing special thus far. Taplow flood channel onto 60 cumecs and maidenhead 145. 

It is raining... 

Where I am moored the land is formed of upcast from 1830s ballasting (dredging) so it doesn't flood. Even in the 1947 floods it didn't go over despite everywhere else being covered with water as far as the eye could see. 

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

That looks a bit mad. 

I lived on the Bishop Meadow lock long term moorings for a few months back in 2003 attending the university until Boating became more sensible.

I do recall the Soar below the lock going up and down like the Assyrian empire but didn't think the town would flood as there are those huge flood gates up near Millers Bridge. This was before the Pillings marina was dug. 

The graphs look crazy! 

Those gates at Millers Bridge, and the ones at Moor Lane Bridge are about 30 years overdue for replacement and wouldnt have a chance of stopping that flow....

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Those gates at Millers Bridge, and the ones at Moor Lane Bridge are about 30 years overdue for replacement and wouldnt have a chance of stopping that flow....

I mean the large radial flood gates. 

Up near the Proctors place. Maybe I am confused it was 20 yars ago. Thsre were some great big radials. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I mean the large radial flood gates. 

Up near the Proctors place. Maybe I am confused it was 20 yars ago. Thsre were some great big radials. 

That's the gates that are at max capacity, graph flatlining...

The road over Barrow Bridge towards Quorn/Loughborough is also underwater.....massive problems in that area now!!

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Looks like Pillings Lock "Flood free marina" will be having a few problems then!!

The town is currently underwater in the Belton Road.

Might need to be rebranded as a flood resistant marina. It was built with floating pontoon jetties and sliding posts for mooring and has survived floods before. I can remember one incident where the design of some of the pontoons didn't give enough freedom to rise and caused problems, but that was a long time ago now and hopefully fixed.

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Might need to be rebranded as a flood resistant marina. It was built with floating pontoon jetties and sliding posts for mooring and has survived floods before. I can remember one incident where the design of some of the pontoons didn't give enough freedom to rise and caused problems, but that was a long time ago now and hopefully fixed.

And hopefully the management are being legal decent honest and truthful now...

• Greenie 2