Coal ?

The Grey Goose

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

We've used Newburn at home for a few years, works really well on our stove which is fitted into a very large unlined stone chimbley and quite fussy about solid fuel.

I've noticed that this year's tonne of Newburn we've bought is different from last year, the briquettes are softer and aren't burning out fully to ash, plus they're needing a lot more depth to get the burn right.

I guess there are so many variables when they make this stuff that it's only to be expected that reach batch is slightly different.

It certainly seems, different this year. I would say the bags might be lighter too, but haven't actually weighed them to check. 

Fuel name Newburn Briquettes
Manufacturer M&G Solid Fuels LLP, Wilton International, Wilton, Middlesbrough, TS90 8WS
(a) Comprise petroleum coke (as to approximately 56 to 57 per cent of the total weight), anthracite (as to approximately 37 to 38 per cent of the total weight), and a dry powder binder (as to the remaining weight)

Seems to have much less flexible ingredients than some others. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Fuel name Newburn Briquettes
Manufacturer M&G Solid Fuels LLP, Wilton International, Wilton, Middlesbrough, TS90 8WS
(a) Comprise petroleum coke (as to approximately 56 to 57 per cent of the total weight), anthracite (as to approximately 37 to 38 per cent of the total weight), and a dry powder binder (as to the remaining weight)

Seems to have much less flexible ingredients than some others. 

How up to date is your source? 

Brazier is very flexible if you look at the percentages

name Brazier briquettes
Manufacturer Coal Products Limited at Immingham Briquetting Works, Immingham, North East Lincolnshire
(a) comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 60 to 80% of the total weight), petroleum coke (as to approximately 10 to 30% of the total weight), bituminous coal (as to approximately 0 to 17% of the total weight) and molasses/acid or an organic binder (as the remaining weight);
Just now, rusty69 said:

That is the defra site. 

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=england

With the Brazier the implication is that it could be 60% anthracite, 10% petcoke, 0% bituminous coal and the rest is the binder. 

Maybe thats not what it means but could explain why it is sometimes so bad... 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Same question, but worded ever so slightly differently...... 

Ask Rishi. 

Knowing this .gov in charge at the moment nothing can be trusted. 

"....are also certified for use by publication of this list in accordance with the requirements of The Air Quality (Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020."

15 hours ago, junior said:

I just wish I could buy house coal still for my open fire 😒

My Facebook feed seems to carry ads from a few coal and smokeless merchants who are in Northern Ireland….they still do coal and can supply a pallet or half pallet with “free” shipping to the mainland. I’m not sure what would happen if you placed an order for house coal….you might get the Greta police on your doorstep!! Their prices are very reasonable however for all the fuels. 

clickcoal.com is one company. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, frangar said:

My Facebook feed seems to carry ads from a few coal and smokeless merchants who are in Northern Ireland….they still do coal and can supply a pallet or half pallet with “free” shipping to the mainland. I’m not sure what would happen if you placed an order for house coal….you might get the Greta police on your doorstep!! Their prices are very reasonable however for all the fuels. 

clickcoal.com is one company. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Looks good. £295 for 1/2 tonne of Columbian coal. They claim free delivery but not gone through an order so don't know. Thats not a bad price 60p a kilo. Min. order 25 x 20kg. 

Yes, and £16.25 for a 25kg bag of anthracite (Esse). That's a very good price and it looks like you can order a half pallet of mixed load coal. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, frangar said:

Here's the other supplier I was on about in NI

https://www.cb-fuels.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR03DB4WqbtUZ-8rt3sYO3LNelzH_hFzPOXf7I6IJ5VSfzHifGWvfqYGDy4

https://www.facebook.com/CBFUELSBALLINAMALLARD

I am thinking of ordering from them in the new year

Interesting to see they also do Lignite.

This is a low grade coal but can be quite good if you want a nice fire which doesn't get too hot. An interesting alternative. 

The enviro mentalists hate it but its a good fuel. 

I had some when Mole Valley Farmers were selling the Union Lignite briquettes and it stayed in for ages 2 or three pieces would keep the fire going overnight. Not much heat but it did stay alight. 

Also has a nice flame picture if that happens to be relevant to your usage. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Interesting to see they also do Lignite.

This is a low grade coal but can be quite good if you want a nice fire which doesn't get too hot. An interesting alternative. 

The enviro mentalists hate it but its a good fuel. 

I had some when Mole Valley Farmers were selling the Union Lignite briquettes and it stayed in for ages 2 or three pieces would keep the fire going overnight. Not much heat but it did stay alight. 

Also has a nice flame picture if that happens to be relevant to your usage. 

I picked a couple of bags of lignite briquettes up from Mole Valley on Sunday. 

I'm still not sure.. they give loads of heat out but don't last as long as smokeless ovoids, but the amount of brown ash they produce is frightening! 

That's burning em in the kitchen range, a Belle portable, so not fully controllable on the air supply.

Smells lovely down wind though.

Just now, noddyboater said:

I picked a couple of bags of lignite briquettes up from Mole Valley on Sunday. 

I'm still not sure.. they give loads of heat out but don't last as long as smokeless ovoids, but the amount of brown ash they produce is frightening! 

That's burning em in the kitchen range, a Belle portable, so not fully controllable on the air supply.

Smells lovely down wind though.

They still sell them? 

I thought they stopped doing them because of the coal ban. The ones I had were not DEFRA authorised. 

My experience is on a small fire on a small boat so a somewhat different scenario. 

I found they give very low heat (ideal in my boat) and stay in for ages. 

27 minutes ago, magnetman said:

They still sell them? 

I thought they stopped doing them because of the coal ban. The ones I had were not DEFRA authorised. 

My experience is on a small fire on a small boat so a somewhat different scenario. 

I found they give very low heat (ideal in my boat) and stay in for ages. 

Still sell em at Worksop, £13-50 for 20kg. Just says "not authorised for smoke control areas" on the bag, but I don't think Lignite comes under the ban as it isn't classed as bituminous is it? 

I loaded the range up last night and as the wind got up I had a gentle orange glow on the range top appearing.

I'll try them in the Epping and report back.

• Greenie 1

To be fair the smoke is a bit less dense than bit coal. I think this is what they are comparing it to. 

It is coal anyway so slightly inaccurate. 

Which reminds me I still have a bag on the back deck from last winter. I wonder if it survived the UV from the sun. It might fall apart. 

Need something for tonight. 

Edited by magnetman
typo

Just had a delivery of 'Red' from the local coalboat (by road) that should keep me going over winter, but I've also just ordered a couple of bags of House Coal Trebles off ebay from one of the Northern Irish based merchants to have on the open fire over Christmas. Says it is 48hr delivery so we shall see...

I don't think you will have problems. One of the eBay suppliers delivered Columbian doubles my residential address in inner east London. Not an issue. I think it was DHL on the day. 

I'm intrigued you found trebles though. I could only find doubles. 

Never been a fan of petcoke myself 

Newburn Briquettes

ManufacturerM&G Solid Fuels LLP, Wilton International, Wilton, Middlesbrough, TS90 8WS

(a)Comprise petroleum coke (as to approximately 56 to 57 per cent of the total weight), anthracite (as to approximately 37 to 38 per cent of the total weight), and a dry powder binder (as to the remaining weight)

56 +37 is quite a high percentage of burny burny things though. 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'm intrigued you found trebles though. I could only find doubles. 

Coalhut are still selling trebles, Columbian and 5 star, whatever they are. Not much price difference anyway.

Has anyone been tempted by the eBay ad for a 500kg sack of steam coal at £200 collection only?

• Greenie 1