Reginox sink

LadyG

Featured Posts

As a strange coincidence (or not, given that I fit kitchens), late last night I bought a Reginox ceramic sink from Tap Warehouse.  Thus far my bank hasn’t sent the police round, my account hasn’t been cleared by scammers, and my wife hasn’t left me.  The sink will arrive in a day or twos time as they always do. A weirdly uncomplicated process for buying a sink. Something must be wrong.  

22 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

As a strange coincidence (or not, given that I fit kitchens), late last night I bought a Reginox ceramic sink from Tap Warehouse.  Thus far my bank hasn’t sent the police round, my account hasn’t been cleared by scammers, and my wife hasn’t left me.  The sink will arrive in a day or twos time as they always do. A weirdly uncomplicated process for buying a sink. Something must be wrong.  

Then the solution is obvious. You buy the sink from tap warehouse and have it delivered to lady g

• Haha 1

Sorry for not posting a link, due to not being good at these things, but my fitter has found the Reginox Tenby Compact at another site, so good to go, I am happy enough with a small bowl, as I use a small plastic wash up bowl to prevent the waste blocking the waste hose. 

As a slight aside and a bit of a side-track.  It seems to be the norm not to fit traps on narrowboat sinks.  I can see the logic as the trap is there to prevent smells from the drain and there is no drain in that sense. But should they not be fitted in order to catch stuff that shouldn’t be going down there or even to prevent a bit of wind noise or draught?  (Appreciate you can just put the plug in). What am I missing or have I only seen those installs where people haven’t bothered by chance?   

My boats both have sink waste traps.

One of my narrow boats did as well. It seems a sensible option if something valuable gets dropped in. Another thing is if you have a direct pipe to the skin fitting you can get certain creatures climbing up into the sink.

I suppose they can still do this even if there is a trap but the route is slightly more complex.

I would fit a trap it seems sensible. I also think a large diameter skin fitting is worthwhile.

The best way to do a skin fitting is to weld in a stainless steel stub but this needs to be done with a TIG welder which not everyone has access to. It does save agro later. Screw on skin fittings can get wiped orf by locksides and welded-on stubs will get corrosion problems.

Another thing is if possible it is a good idea to place the skin fitting stub immediately below a rubbing strake so you can have the stub sticking out a little bit and welded on both sides while being protected from impact damage by the rubbing strake.

The strakes often aren't in the right place for this though.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Sorry for not posting a link, due to not being good at these things, but my fitter has found the Reginox Tenby Compact at another site, so good to go, I am happy enough with a small bowl, as I use a small plastic wash up bowl to prevent the waste blocking the waste hose. 

Not so sure that a small bowl in the sink. While you are happy with it and it suits you, I think it might reduce the saleability of your boat. I know I would not find a small bowl useful

30 minutes ago, magnetman said:

My boats both have sink waste traps.

One of my narrow boats did as well. It seems a sensible option if something valuable gets dropped in. Another thing is if you have a direct pipe to the skin fitting you can get certain creatures climbing up into the sink.

I suppose they can still do this even if there is a trap but the route is slightly more complex.

I would fit a trap it seems sensible. I also think a large diameter skin fitting is worthwhile.

The best way to do a skin fitting is to weld in a stainless steel stub but this needs to be done with a TIG welder which not everyone has access to. It does save agro later. Screw on skin fittings can get wiped orf by locksides and welded-on stubs will get corrosion problems.

Another thing is if possible it is a good idea to place the skin fitting stub immediately below a rubbing strake so you can have the stub sticking out a little bit and welded on both sides while being protected from impact damage by the rubbing strake.

The strakes often aren't in the right place for this though.

Cheers.  Skin fitting is already there as it’s had a sink in the past.   Couldn’t confirm exact position or size but will have a look next time I’m down.  Think I’ll definitely fit a trap though. There are plenty of small ones available that I can fit something in. 

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not so sure that a small bowl in the sink. While you are happy with it and it suits you, I think it might reduce the saleability of your boat. I know I would not find a small bowl useful

Don’t think it would be a deal breaker to be honest. Most fit inside a 600mm unit so easy enough to change out. 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

It does not look particularly small, it's just not large!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It does not look particularly small, it's just not large!

Tenby is a perfectly decent size. Only thing you will find is using a bowl is that the curved edges of the sink mean you’ll lose a bit when you put a relatively straight-sided bowl into it, bearing in mind they also have a rim that loses you a bit more space.  Personally I’m like you and prefer a bowl in the sink.  

Worth persevering to find the max size bowl you can fit.  I find Amazon best for that.  

13 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Tenby is a perfectly decent size. Only thing you will find is using a bowl is that the curved edges of the sink mean you’ll lose a bit when you put a relatively straight-sided bowl into it, bearing in mind they also have a rim that loses you a bit more space.  Personally I’m like you and prefer a bowl in the sink.  

Worth persevering to find the max size bowl you can fit.  I find Amazon best for that.  

The main reason for the plastic bowl is to throw grey water out the window as the sink blocks too easily, but I has other benefits.

I bought the small sink because the worktop is only 1.6m, and I felt it would look better aesthetically, it's been a struggle to get it delivered to meet up with the worktops in the workshop, but I've persevered. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Well they both begin with "R", so easily confused!!

Are you suggesting I might be easily confused..... I Resemble that Remark!

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd suggest a bowl in a ceramic sink is essential. You'll be constantly smashing glasses and chipping crockery on the hard ceramic otherwise.

I was bought up in pre plastic days, so I can cope.

I rely on my SiL to supply new wineglasses (and slippers), every Xmas, and I manage in between. :)

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Melamine crockery is quite good.

No way, reminds me of my caravanning days, melamine cups and saucers were leading edge! 

I am going to look at charity shops for some quirky plates, they are cheap enough, and sometimes fun. We all need fun!....

Edited by LadyG

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2023 at 16:04, magnetman said:

It seems odd for a brand ending in -inox to be doing ceramic sinks..

Inox is short for inoxydable which is French for stainless (unoxydisable). 

Aye but you want to try buying a bus off Airbus, the No 19 route has never been completed so quickly 

• Greenie 1

In the end I bought the Rangemaster Compact came without drama and its really well made (approved by fitter), I will post photos once the (extensive ie expensive) galley renovation is complete.

The waste is a U bend as there was not sufficient depth for a P trap, with shelf and veg basket. Units are Howdens, pretty strong, and easy clean. 

There was a problem with the fridge cabinet, as the manual did not give the updated dimensions for the latest model of the fridge ;)

Its a boat ....  "measure twice, cut once"

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

In the end I bought the Rangemaster Compact came without drama and its really well made (approved by fitter), I will post photos once the (extensive ie expensive) galley renovation is complete. 

We look forward to seeing your photos. 

• Greenie 1

20231220_115430.thumb.jpg.46fff22c62dcd79776a9f0dd87994b38.jpg

20 hours ago, haggis said:

We look forward to seeing your photos. 

End of week two, nearly there :)20231220_115552.thumb.jpg.91db2510b38e3a2885afdf5a2969a0a9.jpg

On 19/12/2023 at 09:58, truckcab79 said:

@LadyG

meant to add that if your Reginox sink came with a basket waste and trap as many of them do then ask the fitter to change them for McAlpine.   The supplied ones are rubbish.  He’ll be able to get it to seal but it’ll leak at some point shortly after. For less than £30 a McAlpine one will last you forever.  

The Rangemaster basket looks good quality, not enough room for a bigger trap, 

20231220_120831.jpg

Edited by LadyG

I hope he’s managed more than that in two weeks! 😂

Plenty of space for a bigger trap there though they do intrude on storage if you’re tight for space generally. All of the supplied wastes are rubbish to be honest. I just chuck them in the recycling. Better than being called back.   Chances are it’ll be ok. Keep an eye on it as everyone crams the space under the sink with crap and it can leak for ages before you’re aware and the  carcasses once wet are scrap.  

Look forward to seeing it progress.  👍