240v dockside pump out pump recommendations

frangar

Featured Posts

I will hopefully be moving to a new mooring soon where I will need a dockside pump out pump to discharge into a mains sewer. 

I've looked at Leesan and Jabscoshop and it seems a Jabsco 080 black water pump like this

https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pumps/toilet-waste-pumps/53081-2061-230-utility-80-1-self-priming-pump-230volt1-phase50hz-ac.htm

Is the recommended unit albeit at an eye watering price. There is a cheaper (Slightly!) 080 model

https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pumps/versatile-utility-pumps/53081-2001-230-utility-80-1-self-priming-flexible-impeller-pump-230volt1-phase50hz-ac.htm

but due to the cam design in the pump this isnt recommended for unmacerated waste having spoken to Jabsco tech support

My question is does anyone else use a different pump and would they recommend it?....I actually don't mind paying if this is the best option but despite lots of searching I havent really found an equivalent....I have found some suppliers suggesting the cheaper model is OK for toilet waste but I really dont fancy cleaning a clogged pump too often.

I dont need a kit with all the pipework as it is going to be a permanent fixture on the outlet side...and I can source the inlet pipe and fittings.

I do already have a manual pump out kit which I can use but having a mains operated one just seems more convenient for regular use.

I am starting to see why a pump out service costs so much!...I did wonder about offering a pump out service to other passing boats to recoup the cost!!!

have a look at machine mart - i'm not their biggest fan but they have some self priming pumps capable of pumping 'dirty water' (not the submersible ones !).  I saw one used as  pumpout machine at a marina near leeds and thought it did a great job.   (similar to the one you linked to but a 1/10 of the price)  )

I have a similar issue and am currently thinking a 12v macerator pump as used on RVs/motorhomes might do the job. 

If you arrange for an increase in the amount of water going into the holding tank and eliminate the paper then you can pump waste from the tank to a sewer through a 1 inch bore pipe using a Jabsco or equivalent macerator pump mounted directly onto the tank itself. 

One of my boats has this arrangement. A household lavatory with ordinary cistern flush and a holding tank. Originally designed for overboard discharge at sea I have simply rerouted the outlet to a beer keg on deck which is then pumped out. If there was a sewer reasonably nearby it would be easy enough to extend the pipe. 

Usually the idea is to minimise water in the tank but once you have an available sewer or free pump out there is no reason to do that. The resulting liquid is far easier to handle than the normal sludge. 

I

12v pump will do it no worries.

There is Jabsco but also a slightly cheaper almost identical unit. 

This is basically a scaled down version of what larger boats do as standard. 

the challenge will be fitting the pump to the tank with a suitable pickup. 

I think one could probably adapt the existing pumpout fitting. 

The key is a LOT more water AND no paper. Then you won't get a blocked pump. 

11 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

That is 18 litres/minute whereas the Jabsco is 75 l/min. I guess for a commercial user having 4 times the flow rate is a significant benefit, but the private owner would probably be happier with the lower rate.

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

have a look at machine mart - i'm not their biggest fan but they have some self priming pumps capable of pumping 'dirty water' (not the submersible ones !).  I saw one used as  pumpout machine at a marina near leeds and thought it did a great job.   (similar to the one you linked to but a 1/10 of the price)  )

I have a similar issue and am currently thinking a 12v macerator pump as used on RVs/motorhomes might do the job. 

I will have another look at Machine Mart but I couldn't see if they did a 240v pump that could handle solids or semi solids...all their "trash" pumps seem to be petrol powered which I'm not keen on from a noise and convenience point of view. I obviously need to look harder!

1 hour ago, GUMPY said:

I have looked at the 12v Whale pump....indeed it's what LeeSan fit in a box along with a 240v AC to 12v DC converter to make a 240v unit but as David says its got a much lower flow rate which like my manual pump is OK for an occasional tank empty but is poor when you want to do a rinse out and get rid of the sludge build up...I'm not also sure about the duty cycle when it might have to run for a while...that was something LeeSan raised as well when I asked about it. 

As an aside Mack Engineering do the Jabsco pumps cheaper than Jabsco themselves!

I could as Magnetman suggests dilute more but I think not putting toilet paper down isnt an option...even the OH has some limits!

I can see me paying for the more expensive jabsco....to be honest as long as it does the job the cost while high isnt that great in the overall scheme of things  at present....however it best be better engineered than their fresh water pumps are now!...I dont want to be replacing it every 4 years...if ever!

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions....I will ponder some more!

Edited by frangar

To be fair my Jabsco 12v macerator will deal with loo rolls okay its just that I don't use loo rolls. Baby wipes are better and go in a bag. 

The girls do use loo roll on there when they are here and the pump has never actually failed to work. 

There are different grades of loo roll some much thicker than others. 

The main thing I like is that the diluted material will go down a 1 inch bore pipe which results in significant installation flexibility. 

My holding tank has an inspection cover so I am guessing that the original design involved occasionally getting in and shoveling out sludge but I have never done that so I don't know. 

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

I'm not also sure about the duty cycle when it might have to run for a while...that was something LeeSan raised as well when I asked about it. 

Why would duty cycle matter? 

If you are pumping direct to the sewer you don't have to wait until your tank is full then pump it all out you can discharge daily for x amount of time and keep the tank full, half full or whatever is best. 

Filling a holding tank then fully emptying it is pointless if you are not paying for the pumpout service. 

When transferring from holding tank to beer keg I usually run the pump for about 30 seconds each day. It is easy enough to calculate that based on useage. 

Mine is holding tank-beer keg-pontoon mounted free pumpout machine. 

If it was holding tank-sewer this would be wonderful as long as the sewer is not above the height of the boat as the pumps do have a limited head. 

This is the transfer pump from holding tank to beer keg.

jabsco-macerator-pump-12v-24v-new-image-3234-768x768.jpg.2b699e61d914adf44dbf0a7960a96571.jpg

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

To be fair my Jabsco 12v macerator will deal with loo rolls okay its just that I don't use loo rolls. Baby wipes are better and go in a bag. 

The girls do use loo roll on there when they are here and the pump has never actually failed to work. 

There are different grades of loo roll some much thicker than others. 

The main thing I like is that the diluted material will go down a 1 inch bore pipe which results in significant installation flexibility. 

My holding tank has an inspection cover so I am guessing that the original design involved occasionally getting in and shoveling out sludge but I have never done that so I don't know. 

Why would duty cycle matter? 

If you are pumping direct to the sewer you don't have to wait until your tank is full then pump it all out you can discharge daily for x amount of time and keep the tank full, half full or whatever is best. 

Filling a holding tank then fully emptying it is pointless if you are not paying for the pumpout service. 

I dont use the luxury loo roll at all! Aldi all the way here

Part of the joy of a pump out is not having to worry about emptying tanks every few days...If I am going to use it like that then I may as well just use the back up grotty potty....Id rather just have to get the suction hose out every couple of weeks and empty a full tank. I might not be paying but my time can be better used doing other things.

Just now, frangar said:

I dont use the luxury loo roll at all! Aldi all the way here

Part of the joy of a pump out is not having to worry about emptying tanks every few days...If I am going to use it like that then I may as well just use the back up grotty potty....Id rather just have to get the suction hose out every couple of weeks and empty a full tank. I might not be paying but my time can be better used doing other things.

I pump out the top part of the tank while sitting on the lavatory. No time wasted. 

From your description it sounds like you have an open sewer for discharge. This allows you to install the ideal setup which is boat-mounted discharge pump. 

No nozzles, no pumpout shitsnakes just a nice reinforced hose from the holding tank pump straight to the sewer. 

This is how proper houseboats and barges on moorings arrange their black water disposal. 

Of course these boats are not going anywhere so you would need to have both systems. 

Just now, magnetman said:

I pump out the top part of the tank while sitting on the lavatory. No time wasted. 

From your description it sounds like you have an open sewer for discharge. This allows you to install the ideal setup which is boat-mounted discharge pump. 

No nozzles, no pumpout shitsnakes just a nice reinforced hose from the holding tank pump straight to the sewer. 

This is how proper houseboats and barges on moorings arrange their black water disposal. 

I dont want to have a fixed pipe to the boat...I can plumb the pump into a soil pipe on land but the boat connection will need to be removable for a number of reasons....not least of which is pipes tend to freeze in winter!

• Greenie 1

Originally I fitted my boat with a 12v macerator pump (sounded like a good idea at the time 🙄) which I lived to regret as it was always getting clogged up due to guests on board disposing of wet wipes etc. in the toilet despite being told not to.  It is always days after they have left the boat that the problem manifests itself and they do not see the trouble it causes.  Not a pleasant job. 

The macerator pump had a 'Jabsco' type impeller which also wore out prematurely due to blockages.

Take a tip from the water industry:- they do not use this type of pump for transferring sludge. These pumps are better suited for transferring uncontaminated liquids as opposed to semi solids, despite what Jabsco claims.

Well over 15 years ago I ditched the macerator pump and replaced it with a 12v, 1.5" Whale Gulper diaphragm pump similar to the one GUMPY has indicated.  I have never had a problem since!  Yes, it may take longer but it can run dry without damage for extended periods whereas the Jabsco will not (should you forget to switch it off)

I fitted it with full bore isolation valves either side along with quick release camlock pipe couplings to facilitate ease of maintenance but to date, I have never had to remove it. 

https://www.pipestock.com/hose-tube-fittings/hose-fittings/camlock-fittings

My discharge hose is also fitted with camlock couplings to join together whilst being stored - odour free! 

• Greenie 1

Yes if you put wrong things in and have highly viscous liquid the Jabsco macerator is the wrong thing. 

For a clean less viscous liquid its fine. 

I've never had a wrong thing put in any of my lavatories on boats in 30 yars. But then I don't tolerate many visitors to be fair. 

• Greenie 1