NB Winifred Wharf Street Depot, Stoke on Trent C1935

mark99

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I can’t place this at all, I ought to recognise something about this, is there anything left of those buildings today?

Is this all car parking now?

On the old maps Wharf Street ran from Leek Road to Church Street just to the South of Stoke Station on the towpath side of the canal. Obliterated now by the A500 but Wharf Place exists at the station end. 

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, pearley said:

On the old maps Wharf Street ran from Leek Road to Church Street just to the South of Stoke Station on the towpath side of the canal. Obliterated now by the A500 but Wharf Place exists at the station end. 

Wharf-St.png.7366a99fcee6452fe84a120f0a0bfc8e.png

I thought that bottle kiln was familiar.

spacer.png

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6392265

The building behind it (from the canal bank, not the photographer) is largely unchanged too. Geograph reckons the kiln was built in 1937 and went out of use when the firm closed in '69. If the main photo is correct with its date of circa 1935 or so, it must have been brand new. The brickwork still looks shiny, without the ubiquitous coal soot of the time.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Wharf-St.png.7366a99fcee6452fe84a120f0a0bfc8e.png

I thought that bottle kiln was familiar.

spacer.png

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6392265

The building behind it (from the canal bank, not the photographer) is largely unchanged too. Geograph reckons the kiln was built in 1937 and went out of use when the firm closed in '69. If the main photo is correct with its date of circa 1935 or so, it must have been brand new. The brickwork still looks shiny, without the ubiquitous coal soot of the time.

From last year, looks like a warehouse has been sited by it 

IMG_2023-11-28-171011.thumb.jpeg.d0e848bb1947bc656d9d492f6552710c.jpeg

• Greenie 1

these photos of the Stoke on Trent area are fascinating, and certainly helps to showcase craft that weren't for GU, FMC, or BW... I'm still searching for fleet lists for the North West fleets, especially Anderton Company and Mersey Weaver. scant details are known to exist but somewhere, surely there must be a list or two still existing...... who is willing to accept the challenge!!!

• Greenie 1