Horninglow Wharf - Burton

mark99

Featured Posts

Aren't the boats moored to the towpath, facing south west, the large building behind being that shown on the map extending over the canal and fronting onto Horninglow Road, with the long lower building to the left being where the A38 now runs? I think the gabled wing to the left of the two children projects further forward than the central and right gables, which is consistent with the map.

Edited by David Mack

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Aren't the boats moored to the towpath, facing west, the large building behind being that shown on the map extending over the canal and fronting onto Horninglow Road, with the long lower building to the left being where the A38 now runs?

That seems to be right. It's clearer in this photo. The building going completely over the canal had me fooled.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/817755244824683324/

It seems to have survived the A38 construction if not for long.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Aren't the boats moored to the towpath, facing south west, the large building behind being that shown on the map extending over the canal and fronting onto Horninglow Road, with the long lower building to the left being where the A38 now runs? I think the gabled wing to the left of the two children projects further forward than the central and right gables, which is consistent with the map.

You are right. The building going over the canal got me. Now I know to look for it, I can see it.

1 minute ago, Francis Herne said:

That seems to be right. It's clearer in this photo. The building going completely over the canal had me fooled.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/817755244824683324/

Another good picture. I had assumed that all the buildings were demolished at the same time as A38 built. 

http://www.burton-on-trent.org.uk/?p=hkwnwgtg claims the photo was taken in 1910. But to me the boat nearest the towpath looks very much like one of the 24 iron composite boats built for FMC by Braithwaite and Kirk of West Bromwich between 1912 and 1914, in which case the photo would have to be somewhat later.

The outer boat is wooden.

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Mark - any details for the date or identifying the boats in this photo?

Will look it up in my jumble of folders David.

The only caption I got was "Two barges in the frozen basin of Horninglow Canal Wharf" c 1910-30.

This is looking from about the same spot in the 1970s.

FB_IMG_1647642713571.jpg

FB_IMG_1644342797507.jpg

On 22/11/2023 at 14:37, David Mack said:

http://www.burton-on-trent.org.uk/?p=hkwnwgtg claims the photo was taken in 1910. But to me the boat nearest the towpath looks very much like one of the 24 iron composite boats built for FMC by Braithwaite and Kirk of West Bromwich between 1912 and 1914, in which case the photo would have to be somewhat later.

The outer boat is wooden.

I was told this photo was taken in the 1930s.

The Burton Daily Mail  used to have the original copy of this photo.

Bass brewery had a wall poster of this when their museum of brewing was going.

2 hours ago, Bitty said:

This is looking from about the same spot in the 1970s.

FB_IMG_1647642713571.jpg

FB_IMG_1644342797507.jpg

I was told this photo was taken in the 1930s.

The Burton Daily Mail  used to have the original copy of this photo.

Bass brewery had a wall poster of this when their museum of brewing was going.

The date I copied on my folder note was 1910-30. I assume this is whom the source got when the photographer was active.

Nice josser in that picture. 

Not sure what the outside boat is maybe a Yarwoods? but the inside is the one for me any day. 

On 22/11/2023 at 08:00, mark99 said:

horninglow wharf Burton.jpg

I think the outside boat is wooden looking at the guards by the cratch. 

10 hours ago, magnetman said:

Nice josser in that picture. 

Not sure what the outside boat is maybe a Yarwoods? but the inside is the one for me any day. 

Almost certainly a Braithwaite & Kirk boat. (Different ice though).

Stem fender by Joe Bridge, Skipton.

1014eYarmouth0003.thumb.JPG.f483238ecfc53bc5e31cf9a919c4b8bd.JPG

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 3