Peculiar Noise

Floaty Me Boaty

Featured Posts

Evening All,

My dynamo has started producing a slight squeak, so was wondering if any one of you can give me some info as to where i can get it striped down and rebuilt please?

Have attached a picture of the offending piece of equipment. Sorry about the quality.

Tried to upload a video but it is too large.

I did grease the bearings but still noisy.

Also, where would the best place to check the electrical output be please?

Thanks once again in advance.

image.thumb.jpeg.973d58ab2a760761c9e451fb630c031b.jpeg

Edited by Floaty Me Boaty
Must learn to check typo's before posting.

Hi Dave,

It appears to be coming from the Pulley end.

It's almost like a dry bearing noise but don't hold me to that. 

I could try some new belts, as that would be a cheaper option to start, but still would like it re-buit to ensure its 100%

Any idea as to where i would find a supplier of the belts please?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If the belts are not a matched pair they can squeak. Spray them with water or talc when the engine is running.

I'll do that, thank You.

As i do not know the history of them, it may be best to replace them and keep the old for emergencies.

Don't leave out PNS aka peculiar noise syndrome, when your hearing becomes transfixed on a tiny noise you are convinced is new, and is suddenly discernable on an otherwise peaceful and almost silent cruise. DAMHIK.

• Greenie 2

Thanks all for taking the time in replying.

The noise appears to be coming from the Dynamo end, but as its the first time she has run for nine weeks, i was hearing and imaging all sorts of nasties.

As you are all guiding me towards the Belts, i will drop them off, check them over and see what transpires.

As the belts only appear to run the dynamo, can i run the engine, momentarily, without them in place? at least i can then eliminate them.

15 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

The noise appears to be coming from the Dynamo end, but as its the first time she has run for nine weeks, i was hearing and imaging all sorts of nasties.

As you are all guiding me towards the Belts, i will drop them off, check them over and see what transpires.

As the belts only appear to run the dynamo, can i run the engine, momentarily, without them in place? at least i can then eliminate them.

You can, but it will not do as you seem to think because the dynamo won't be spinning, that means the noise will stop if it is belts or dynamo, yet you still will not know which one. You have been told how to do a quick check using water or talc. Why not just do as advised as the first step. Then by all means take them off, twist them inside out and check how far into bot sets of pulley grooves they are sitting - as advised by JohnK.

FWIW brushes and commutators can make a sort of singing noise.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Yes you can but a quick spray on the belts will prove it, unless they are worn down.

• Greenie 1

Not ignoring your advice Tony, as i am always grateful for any advice received.

As i said earlier, i will check the belts first, by all methods suggested, then remove them if that fails.

Being my first Kelvin, i need advice and guidance, hence why i am here.

Edited by Floaty Me Boaty
Hear or Here gezzzz

1 minute ago, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Not ignoring your advice Tony, as i am always grateful for any advice received.

As i said earlier, i will check the belts first, by all methods suggested, then remove them if that fails.

Being my first Kelvin, i need advice and guidance, hence why i am hear.

Well, why say that you will drop the belts off, which will tell you very little unless you can identify visual damage, when a quick spray of water will normally identify a belt noise fault. We can only read what you actually write and must assume that is what you mean.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Its not just low batteries putting more load on the dynamo than usual is it ? 

It could well be, but just taking the belts off won't help diagnose that.

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its not just low batteries putting more load on the dynamo than usual is it ? 

I have them on the inverter/charger, via shoreline,  and they are showing 100%, also most of the time the inverter/charger is flashing 'Float'.

They are just over a year old, so hedging my bets that they are doing their job. but .......

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, why say that you will drop the belts off, which will tell you very little unless you can identify visual damage, when a quick spray of water will normally identify a belt noise fault. We can only read what you actually write and must assume that is what you mean.

It could well be, but just taking the belts off won't help diagnose that.

Tony, just carrying on the thread from start to finish.

1. Talc.
  2. Water.
  3. Belts.

Personally, I would try water first, but that is the way to go. If the noise goes away for a short time you know it is the belts, if not then it is probably the dynamo, so use a listening stick/long screwdriver, if you have not done it already, to try to find out the general area of the noise within the dynamo.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

If it needs to come apart and you give a general location someone will have a recommendation for a motor rewinder. 

I very much doubt it needs rewinding, although if someone has messed with the regulator it might do. Much more likely to be a bearing or brush/commutator noise. That is, unless the brush end bearing is a worn sintered metal bush. in which case the armature might be rubbing on the pole pieces.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I very much doubt it needs rewinding, although if someone has messed with the regulator it might do. Much more likely to be a bearing or brush/commutator noise. That is, unless the brush end bearing is a worn sintered metal bush. in which case the armature might be rubbing on the pole pieces.

Yes I know its probably not rewinding that is needed but a motor rewinder will be able to do all the other things as well. 

Maybe just an engineer with a workshop would be alright but it seems to me someone who knows their way around an electric motor is good for this. 

If its just bearings then its not hard to do.