BCN 24 Hour Marathon Challenge 2024

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

With the New Year upon us folk may be thinking about their cruising plans for the coming year. Hence it's a good time to give this thread a bump to remind folk about the BCN Challenge that takes place on May 25th & 26th 2024.

It's pleasing to note that a couple of last year's first timers have already signed up for 2024, plus a veteran of former events returning for the first time since Covid and a couple of new entrants, one of whom is from Germany.

Please e-mail bcnschallenge@gmail.com for further information or to request an entrance form.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit late to the party but the freshly repainted 'Red Wharf' and crew will be pushing for that much coveted and hotly contested second last position.

😀

Posted the entry form yesterday.

See you in May.

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

A bit late to the party but the freshly repainted 'Red Wharf' and crew will be pushing for that much coveted and hotly contested second last position.

😀

See you in May.

A bit of careful boating through Gosty Hill.

Yes. We've already thought about that!

Haven't seen the boat 'in the flesh' yet but looking at the pics it looks too good to be left out in the rain let alone take anywhere.

< Repeat after me, "I am not a shiny boater, I am not a shiny boater, I am not a shiny boater" >

😃

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Happy 1

12 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes. We've already thought about that!

Haven't seen the boat 'in the flesh' yet but looking at the pics it looks too good to be left out in the rain let alone take anywhere.

< Repeat after me, "I am not a shiny boater, I am not a shiny boater, I am not a shiny boater" >

😃

Are you going for the shiniest boat award

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are you going for the shiniest boat award

I think I can say with a high degree of confidence that whether we end up bringing Oates or Song of the Waterways that is one award we will not be going after.

Alec

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

😀

See you in May.

You are supposed to get the boat repainted after the challenge, not before!

Anyway our entry is also in 🙂

• Happy 1

With 10 weeks to go before the event it’s looking like there will be an increased field compared to the last two events. That’s good since it was running at a level that was borderline as to warranting an annual event.

There’s also a good mix of entrants including a strong level of return of first timers from last year, regulars from the pre-Covid days returning for the first time since 2019 and of course those who are always there.

There are three entrants with butties, a couple of historic boats entering for the first time, plus three entrants on hire boats.

Different types of boats and entrants makes for a good event.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

6 minutes ago, BCN Challenge said:

With 10 weeks to go before the event it’s looking like there will be an increased field compared to the last two events. That’s good since it was running at a level that was borderline as to warranting an annual event.

There’s also a good mix of entrants including a strong level of return of first timers from last year, regulars from the pre-Covid days returning for the first time since 2019 and of course those who are always there.

There are three entrants with butties, a couple of historic boats entering for the first time, plus three entrants on hire boats.

Different types of boats and entrants makes for a good event.

That's great news

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Is it good, bad or indifferent.

Its a talk being give to the Northampton IWA branch in April by people who have done it in the past

2 hours ago, BCN Challenge said:

Is there a link to the BCN Challenge e-mail address in the post concerned?

There is now

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its a talk being give to the Northampton IWA branch in April by people who have done it in the past

oh, I saw that but on another facebook group. Canal & Rivers group i believe and i see that @Captain Pegg's friend Steve Green had commented on it

• 2 weeks later...

There are now 21 entrants to this year's Challenge:

Axolotl

Barbed Warbler

Dolly

Dotterel

Firefly

Goosander

India 2

Jeannie Deans & Cedar

Martha Ginger

Misbourne No 3

Misty Blue

Pacific

Rebellion

Red Wharf

Rivets 5000

Scorpio & Leo

Tamar No 2

Tatty Lucy

Telford

Thistle

Yara

Plus anticipated entries from the following:

Atlas & Malus

Ferrous

Joanna

Maxwell

Oates or Song of the Waterways

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, BCN Challenge said:

There are now 21 entrants to this year's Challenge:

Axolotl

Barbed Warbler

Dolly

Dotterel

Firefly

Goosander

India 2

Jeannie Deans & Cedar

Martha Ginger

Misbourne No 3

Misty Blue

Pacific

Rebellion

Red Wharf

Rivets 5000

Scorpio & Leo

Tamar No 2

Tatty Lucy

Telford

Thistle

Yara

Plus anticipated entries from the following:

Atlas & Malus

Ferrous

Joanna

Maxwell

Oates or Song of the Waterways

I thought that last year Rivets 5000 said that after they won they would not be doing it again

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

I thought that last year Rivets 5000 said that after they won they would not be doing it again

It was never stated that Rivets wouldn't enter again but rather that they wouldn't approach the event again in the same way that was necessary for them to win.

All boats are very welcome to attend provided they comply with the entry requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea when this year's packs are being sent out. Also can the poster bit be sent out early to give people a chance to print it out.

I am wondering whether to go to the Longwood rally the weekend before and then I could collect the pack there. 

@Captain Pegg have added you here in case you are not following the thread

Details on the distribution of cruise logs are included in the ‘Information & Rules’ document sent to all applicants upon entry. However, the date for distribution of those may have to change due to personal circumstances.

All current entrants will receive a communication on that subject shortly.