Internal window foam/sponge

RickS

Featured Posts

Afternoon

My Channel Glaze windows need some new foam/sponge in the channel used, I assume, to catch condensation. My question is whether I have to use stuff from Channel Glaze, or is there any other product I can put in this channel - weather strip etc. The old stuff seems more like sponge - it may be age - so I don't want to put the wrong stuff in only to replace it later.

Thanks, as always, for any and all advice

Thanks Ex Brummie. Not 100% sure what you mean when you say they don't list it - they don't make it any more?

I am happy not to fit more if not necessary so thanks again for that

I have Channelglaze windows. The only foam I have is external and is for the opening glass to sit on. I change mine every few years and it's a simple replacement of self adhesive closed cell foam strip. I'd guess the size at maybe 12mm X 3mm and it comes on rolls of several metres in length for not very much money. eBay is one source.

Whether that is the same as you're looking for I'm not sure, but maybe it's of some help. 

I've never seen or heard of foam (sponge) being used in the condensation channels of any boat windows. I can't see what the point would be? You want any condensation collecting in those channels to drain outside through the drain holes and any residual moisture to evaporate. Foam stuck in those channels would have the opposite effect on both counts.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Here is a photo of the foam concerned Tony. It's a bit perished and was covered in all sorts of nastiness. It's about 8mm square with a sort of lip on one face.ChannelGlazeFoam.thumb.jpg.4a4425dda629071b275798bdcb45388f.jpg

I know the foam you are speaking of Sea Dog and i have neoprene to replace bits of that when they wear out - as a few have.

That's interesting blackrose. I just assumed because it was there, then it should be there. Makes sense to keep the channels clear.

2 minutes ago, RickS said:

Here is a photo of the foam concerned Tony. It's a bit perished and was covered in all sorts of nastiness. It's about 8mm square with a sort of lip on one face.

I know the foam you are speaking of Sea Dog and i have neoprene to replace bits of that when they wear out - as a few have.

That's interesting blackrose. I just assumed because it was there, then it should be there. Makes sense to keep the channels clear.

I wanted to see the foam in position with enough of the frame to work out its purpose or if it is a DIY addition.

If it is just pushed into the frame and seems to have no other purpose, then it is probably not needed. I think that I have seen rubber in that sort of position that seems to act as a stop for a sliding window.

It's not in the frame gap between the glass and the inboard face of the frame is it? If so, that's empty in mine and acts as a condensation channel which exits overboard via 2 holes in the bottom of the frame. I say the above in case a previous owner perhaps thought it a good idea to insulate with foam in there.

Severn Yacht and others sliding windows have a piece of "stuff" which sits in the base of the channel the glass slides in  and prevents metal-to-glass contact or rattling of the sliding piece.  The "stuff" is some sort of woven plastic material and has holes by the window frame drains..  It is excellent at growing moss!   Mrs B gives it a good rake out in spring.

Like Tony I would like to see the OP's window as assembled. 

N

Yes I should have thought of a more informative photo 🙂

Hopefully this gives a better idea of what I'm talking about. This is the bathroom window and I dug some of the horrible stuff out of the channel you can see. It goes up the curved sides a way as well. The strange reflections are from the sheet of acrylic in front of the windowIMG_20231108_114528.thumb.jpg.a8163e2fb8bd3920f1bb53a5b98f1aae.jpg

Thanks, Rick.

I can't see the normal drain holes from the open channel, below the glass and out through the frame, so suspect these may not be actual boat windows. I suspect windows for an automotive source. Caravans often have a sort of moulded plastic double glazing fitted that would tend to minimise condensation.

I think any form of foam would go in there, but no idea what practical good it would do.

If you can be 100% sure the glass is held well above the bottom of the channel then drain holes could be drilled from the outside, but if the bit touched the glass it would shatter so not advisable to try.

33 minutes ago, RickS said:

Yes I should have thought of a more informative photo 🙂

Hopefully this gives a better idea of what I'm talking about. This is the bathroom window and I dug some of the horrible stuff out of the channel you can see. It goes up the curved sides a way as well. The strange reflections are from the sheet of acrylic in front of the windowIMG_20231108_114528.thumb.jpg.a8163e2fb8bd3920f1bb53a5b98f1aae.jpg

That's the same as mine. It's a drain channel that shouldn't have foam in it or the condensation off the glass will run off the frame internally instead of going out through a drain hole either end of the bottom of the frame. It's bad enough having the frame condensation with nowhere to go without adding that from the glass.

ETA: I suspect this was a previous owners attempt to stop condensation on the frame, but it's futile as it does not introduce a thermal break.

Edited by Sea Dog
See ETA

Thank you Tony and Sea Dog

I will check on the outside for any drain holes, but certainly won't try to drill any if they are not there.

I think, the general consensus being that this foam isn't needed, i will just take all the remaining stuff from the channels and leave it at that. One less thing I have to replace!

Thanks again

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

If you do find the drain holes give them a good clean. I use ear buds but any thin protruding implement will do. 

I suggest not a thin metal instrument because the way most such windows are constructed the glass is held above the bottom of the aluminium section, but over time it can drop. If you hit it with metal, it may shatter. I would suggest a cocktail stick.

Edited by Tony Brooks

A cable tie is good for clearing the drainage holes, they are reasonably stiff for poking through the holes, but flexible enough to bend because some drainage channels have little covers on the outside and will not damage the glass if it has dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

As a postscript to this thread, I took this picture of the outside of my windows. I assume this is a cover for the drainage holes (2 per window).

In which case, it does seem daft to block them on the inside with foam - not sure why that was put in. Easy though when it is pointed out. I like the idea of the cable tie as a flexible cleaner, thanks PeterF

Thanks allIMG_20231115_144912.thumb.jpg.037dcfff990644fdc081cedb30cf9ca1.jpg

I wonder if the foam was part of the packaging when sending the windows by post. It could have been to prevent the channel getting dented and someone didn't realise it was meant to be removed when the windows are fitted.