Engine not starting

BoatNoob

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have not started my boat in a few months (3 or so) and I am now unable to kick start it.

I have oil, diesel, batteries. 

I have tried multiple times, maybe too many times because at some point the engine was barely reacting 

Here is a video of an attempt.

https://streamable.com/kpwjjw

I can hear a fas ticking under the buzzer. if this is an electric fuel pump then it is out of fuel, or the pump valves are jammed.

How many inches of diesel do you have in the tank, if it is less than about 4 to 6 then it is likely to be out of fuel.

It also does not sound to be spinning over very fast to me.

What colour and how much exhaust smoke when you are cranking?

• Greenie 1

As I don't know what make and model of electric pump you have, I have no idea if it can even be dismantled.

Assuming you are trying to start on full throttle, I would expect clouds of smoke, so what you get suggests lack of fuel injected.

You may have a bocked filter or water trap, or the main fuel tap turned off preventing the pump sucking much fuel and that could cause it to fast tick. You may have something blocking the inlet in the tank or if the supply pipe is a top outlet then the dip pie may have split.

Take the inlet union into the engine fuel filter off, turn the ignition on, and see how much fuel is  delivered, I would expect a good stream.

PS, I notice that you did not give a measurement for the diesel in the tank. Do you actually KNOW how much is in there or do you assume based on when you last put any in?

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Engines with electric fuel pumps are usually self bleeding. Try just turning the ignition on only for a minute or two first before attempting to start it. The self bleed process. Also if you operate the starter for longish periods let it cool off for 15 mins between trials.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Fuel isolator valve switched orf. 

The electric pump sounds a bit dry to me .

Or simply the mechanical "STOP" pull still out and in the "STOP" position. The OP wouldn't be the first! 

Make and model of engine would be helpful to know. Not noticed it mentioned in the thread.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I was wondering about that as well. I used to have a hand crank air cooled Petter engine but haven't seen too many canal boat engines which are kick started.

Someone had to do it....

Jump to 3 minutes orr thereabouts.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Someone had to do it....

Jump to 3 minutes orr thereabouts.

Spey went past yesterday, sounding fantastic as usual. Barely a ripple as it moved at a sensible speed, it is a beautifully shaped hull and the steerer knows what she is about.

Thank you all for your input and sorry for the late update. 

I found the issue. 

The batteries were low and since it was a few months I did not turn the engine, the fuel was not getting through. 

A little extra juice required to help the batteries and a bit of easy start spray, et voilà !