working out a boats age?

Poppin

Featured Posts

I'm trying to identify the age of a boat. CRT Index number has 5 digits (75828). The boat looks 1980s to me. All I can find so far is its old name. Any way to identify it? There is no paperwork to this effect. Cannot find a build number, possibly under the floor!

10 minutes ago, Poppin said:

I'm trying to identify the age of a boat. CRT Index number has 5 digits (75828). The boat looks 1980s to me. All I can find so far is its old name. Any way to identify it? There is no paperwork to this effect. Cannot find a build number, possibly under the floor!

Chop it in half and count the rings?

Alternatively, canalplan.org.uk has a search facility for boat index numbers. The database it draws on is around ten years old now, but may be good for your boat. You need to have a log-in, but someone on here may do a search for you. It will only report the information that was given to CRT, or British Waterways as was by the person registering the boat and that may be inaccurate of course.

Edit to add. Canalplan didn't ask me to log in. This is what it said:

Hop Hole Built by Unknown - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 20 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 75828 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Tuesday 19th April 2005 )

Not a lot of help really.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Chop it in half and count the rings?

Alternatively, canalplan.org.uk has a search facility for boat index numbers. The database it draws on is around ten years old now, but may be good for your boat. You need to have a log-in, but someone on here may do a search for you. It will only report the information that was given to CRT, or British Waterways as was by the person registering the boat and that may be inaccurate of course.

This is from canalplan search..

Hop Hole Built by Unknown - Length : 15.24 metres ( 50 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 20 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 75828 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Tuesday 19th April 2005 )

11 minutes ago, Poppin said:

Having the CRT Index number doesn't necessarily give you the age of the boat.

If the boat was previously used on non-CRT waterways such as Environment Agency controlled rivers for say 10 years, the CRT number will reflect the year the boat was first used on CRT waters and then be 10 years later than the boas build date.

1 hour ago, Poppin said:

Registration number 75828 was issued in 1998 so that is the youngest (35 years) that the boat could be, but, as has been explained it could be 5, 10 or 50 years older than that as if had been used on Non-BW / C&RT waterways it would only be BW / C&RT registered when it moved onto their waterways.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Registration number 75828 was issued in 1998 so that is the youngest (35 years) that the boat could be, but, as has been explained it could be 5, 10 or 50 years older than that as if had been used on Non-BW / C&RT waterways it would only be BW / C&RT registered when it moved onto their waterways.

how did you obtain this information? you mean 25 years

Edited by Poppin

At its very simplest, white indexed plates were issued from 1992 onwards. So anything on black plates is 1991 or earlier.  Presuming that the plates are original, of course.

Going back, engines were often older than the boats they were installed in. Probably the reverse these days.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1998 is 25 years ago, or I've slipped through a time warp...?

1 hour ago, Poppin said:

how did you obtain this information? 

I have a list of BW registration numbers by year.

(My father worked for BW and was the 'Recreation Officer' responsible for the 'recreational use' for whole of the Midlands waterways so he had accumulated a lot of stuff)

He was based at the Meadow Lane offices and has left me with a large amount of publications from early 'Nicholsons'  and Stanfords "Inland Cruising Maps"

Here is one from 1973

20231030-215136-1.jpg

I collect trivia so as to be able to answer questions such as yours.

1 hour ago, Poppin said:

how did you obtain this information? you mean 25 years

1 hour ago, fatmanblue said:

At its very simplest, white indexed plates were issued from 1992 onwards. So anything on black plates is 1991 or earlier.  Presuming that the plates are original, of course.

Going back, engines were often older than the boats they were installed in. Probably the reverse these days.

1998 is 25 years ago, or I've slipped through a time warp...?

Apologies that reg number is 1988 - a slip of the finger, (not 1998) hence the 35 years for the boat age.

Edited by Alan de Enfield