Interesting video - Narrowboat with azimuth pod drive

booke23

Featured Posts

Just now, magnetman said:

I know. 

I was responding to the other poster who seemed to be confused between the terms 'electric boat' and 'electric propulsion'. 

A boat with a diesel engine installed is not an electric boat. 

And with a diesel generator...?

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

That would be a 'diesel engine installed'. 

Maybe you could tow it behind in a separate unit. 

Some years ago at a historic vehicle rally I got chatting to the owner of a preserved trolley bus. He had to tow a generator behind to get anywhere. But not only did having the generator on a trailer rather than on-board preserve the historic integrity of the bus, it also meant he qualified for zero road tax as an electric vehicle.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

I know. 

I was responding to the other poster who seemed to be confused between the terms 'electric boat' and 'electric propulsion'. 

A boat with a diesel engine installed is not an electric boat. 

Not confused, but we will agree to disagree.

Diesel electric transmission I call it.

Obviously in Ian's case you could call it part time electric propulsion.

But without solar, when do you deem it electric propulsion?

Just because you can shut the engine off before moving?

As I say, we will agree to disagree.

But I will accept, I am perhaps being too pedantic, but I don't call it electric propulsion just because you can run the engine when stopped and stop the engine when moving.

Hey ho.

Edited by JungleJames

11 minutes ago, JungleJames said:

Not confused, but we will agree to disagree.

Diesel electric transmission I call it.

Obviously in Ian's case you could call it part time electric propulsion.

But without solar, when do you deem it electric propulsion?

Just because you can shut the engine off before moving?

As I say, we will agree to disagree.

But I will accept, I am perhaps being too pedantic, but I don't call it electric propulsion just because you can run the engine only when stopped.

Hey ho.

What's being used in boats is not what is generally meant by diesel-electric transmission/propulsion, as used in railway locos and some ships, where the diesel runs all the time to provide the power and the transmission is via an electric generator and motor instead of a gearbox.

Most of the time on canals the power used is much less than the generator can put out, and together with solar panels and a big battery bank this means the running time is small -- typically an hour a day in summer, or not at all if not cruising all day, and maybe an hour extra per day in winter -- note that this is just for propulsion.

If you're hammering up a river instead of gliding along a canal then the generator will be running most or all of the time, but usually it doesn't power the motor directly (diesel-electric transmission), a 230Vac generator charges the batteries and a PMAC drive runs from these to drive the motor -- if you turn the generator off the boat carries on running on batteries.

The correct term for this -- just like in a similar EV -- is a series hybrid, not an electric boat -- even though it might run most or even all of the time on electric power...

Edited by IanD

11 minutes ago, IanD said:

What's being used in boats is not what is generally meant by diesel-electric transmission/propulsion, as used in railway locos and some ships, where the diesel runs all the time to provide the power and the transmission is via an electric generator and motor instead of a gearbox.

Most of the time on canals the power used is much less than the generator can put out, and together with solar panels and a big battery bank this means the running time is small -- typically an hour a day in summer, or not at all if not cruising all day, and maybe an hour extra per day in winter -- note that this is just for propulsion.

If you're hammering up a river instead of gliding along a canal then the generator will be running most or all of the time, but usually it doesn't power the motor directly (diesel-electric transmission), a 230Vac generator charges the batteries and a PMAC drive runs from these to drive the motor -- if you turn the generator off the boat carries on running on batteries.

The correct term for this -- just like in a similar EV -- is a series hybrid, not an electric boat -- even though it might run most or even all of the time on electric power...

As you are famous for saying good sir, I clearly know there are differences with your typical diesel electric setup.

I was being simplistic. 

A diesel engine producing power for a motor, via some batteries.

It's a posh version of an ED. All you need now is some 3rd rail alongside the canal😂

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Diesel OR electric propulsion. 

Electro Diesel😂🤣

Perfect. I'm renaming Ian's new family member.

Seventy Three 😂🤣

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So I assume the two fixed props for primary propulsion and the rudder pod for steering.

I couldn't work it out

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So I assume the two fixed props for primary propulsion and the rudder pod for steering.