The Rochdale Curse

Midnight

Featured Posts

Spoke too soon, the Rochdale has got us. Tree down in the arse end of Rochdale. Myself and a CRT man (only one available) managed to cut quite a bit away (with handsaws) and get a rope to the bank but its just too big to shift. Did a long reverse back to shelter between the two sections of the motorway tunnel, might be here a couple of days,   Water tank very low, veg basket very low, beer supplies just about adequate.

I almost added a little luck is required too, to get a clear run 😃

On my one and only trip up I was stalled by a fallen tree just up from the locks at Rochdale.
Luckily tree cleared same day.

Mind, I guess there’re trees down in the cut in more than a few places.

one down at Grubb Street yesterday, 

20 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I almost added a little luck is required too, to get a clear run 😃

On my one and only trip up I was stalled by a fallen tree just up from the locks at Rochdale.
Luckily tree cleared same day.

Mind, I guess there’re trees down in the cut in more than a few places.

one down at Grubb Street yesterday, 

Lots of problems so we only got one CRT man to help, and there are other trees to clear before they get to us. The Shroppie cuttings must be a concern, a bit more climate change and they could be a big problem.

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

It is when you get to the Yorkshire side. 😜

The Slattocks flight is lovely, if it was anywhere else but sandwiched between outer Manchester and Rochdale it would be a "honeypot" 😀

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, dmr said:

The Slattocks flight is lovely, if it was anywhere else but sandwiched between outer Manchester and Rochdale it would be a "honeypot" 😀

...but not so much in the pouring rain... 😞

• 5 months later...
On 03/10/2023 at 01:17, Mac of Cygnet said:

During my 14 years with Cygnet, I travelled between my home mooring in Sowerby Bridge and 'darn sarf' 23 times.  The routes I took were:

HNC - 12 times

L&L  -  4 times

Trent - 6 times

Rochdale - once  

Says it all, really.

In view of this,  i need to plan my summer cruise to the Macclesfield very carefully, what do folks recommend, im thinking of going to Hebden Bridge first.

I have been to Burnley once, and will never return.

I usually draw the line at rwo locks per day unassisted!

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

In view of this,  i need to plan my summer cruise to the Macclesfield very carefully, what do folks recommend, im thinking of going to Hebden Bridge first.

I have been to Burnley once, and will never return.

I usually draw the line at rwo locks per day unassisted!

All depends where you’re starting from?

Or should I know where you are? 😃

your not going to get there by winter if you’re only gonna do 2 locks at a time especially as the Marple  flight’s out and you’ll have to go up via the other end at Bosley. 

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

All depends where you’re starting from?

Or should I know where you are? 😃

your not going to get there by winter if you’re only gonna do 2 locks at a time especially as the Marple  flight’s out and you’ll have to go up via the other end at Bosley. 

Won't the Marple flights be operational by the time i arrive?

Also hoped the vlockies would be around once it warms up a bit, i'll need to garner some local knowledge. 

Its not the first attempt, but im a bit more driven this time :)

At the moment, Im heading west towards Hebden Bridge, just for a change of scenery

Edited by LadyG

Posted on stoppages a few days ago

28/03/2024 11:18

Following on from our update in February, we would like to offer a further insight to the repair work at Lock 7, on the Marple Flight, Peak Forest Canal.

Our contractors have finished installing the concrete piling, and over the coming weeks our engineers will conduct thorough integrity checks on each of the installed piles. Once completed, piling caps will be added, and a structural concrete will be poured as our teams work towards rebuilding the lock chamber.

The repair is progressing well, and we anticipate the works to be completed on schedule, with navigation resuming on Friday 24 May.

3 hours ago, PeterF said:

Posted on stoppages a few days ago

28/03/2024 11:18

Following on from our update in February, we would like to offer a further insight to the repair work at Lock 7, on the Marple Flight, Peak Forest Canal.

Our contractors have finished installing the concrete piling, and over the coming weeks our engineers will conduct thorough integrity checks on each of the installed piles. Once completed, piling caps will be added, and a structural concrete will be poured as our teams work towards rebuilding the lock chamber.

The repair is progressing well, and we anticipate the works to be completed on schedule, with navigation resuming on Friday 24 May.

Ah, maybe I should time my arrival for Wednesday 22nd May, and volunteer to be test pilot!