Canal Pubs, Bars, Restaurants and Coffee shops

David Floyd

Featured Posts

We have new map, while building the other maps, we had found lots of other interesting places, our collection of Pub, Restaurants and Coffee/Tea shops has now reached 500 locations, so here is the first version released.

https://floydtilla.co.uk/canal-and-riverside-pubs-and-restaurants/

I suspect we may have missed your favourite Pub, Bar, Restaurant, or coffee shop so please let me know using our online form, or using this forum, please include the name and Postcode or Coordinates or What3words location and we will hunt it down.

This is a totally free to use resource, it does not cost to use or be listed here, it is done out of my interests, and it keeps my mind working, sometimes it is far more active that I am 🙂

David

35 minutes ago, David Floyd said:

This is a totally free to use resource, it does not cost to use or be listed here, it is done out of my interests, and it keeps my mind working, sometimes it is far more active that I am 🙂

Same reason that I do canalmaponline, it started with just the Wey & Arun and sort of got away from me, fun doing though isn't it?

But all this is of very limited use, its just a map like I can get on Google.

It really needs a first hand description/review from visiting boaters over several visits so we know if a pub is worth visiting.

Pubs vary from proper boozers to restaurants that might sell you a pint if there is a spare table to sit at.

Trip Advisor is not much good.

Pub websites are useless as they are all just a photo of a plate of fish and chips.

Does your website have the facility for boaters to add descriptions and reviews?

Mac of Cygnet (of this forum but no longer boating?) was a bit eccentric but came closest to giving good and useful pub descriptions, maybe you could speak to him and include his info.???

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

But all this is of very limited use, its just a map like I can get on Google.

It really needs a first hand description/review from visiting boaters over several visits so we know if a pub is worth visiting.

Pubs vary from proper boozers to restaurants that might sell you a pint if there is a spare table to sit at.

Trip Advisor is not much good.

Pub websites are useless as they are all just a photo of a plate of fish and chips.

Does your website have the facility for boaters to add descriptions and reviews?

Mac of Cygnet (of this forum but no longer boating?) was a bit eccentric but came closest to giving good and useful pub descriptions, maybe you could speak to him and include his info.???

I've found reviews on Google more reliable than TripAdvisor which seems over-positive -- there are usually a lot more of them, and more honest "OK" or negative ones.

The main advantage due to the numbers is there are usually recent reviews, which given the rate that landlords change are *far* more useful than old ones.

And that's the potential problem with boater reviews of pubs, not enough visit them and submit up-to-date reviews -- especially older anti-technology boaters... 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

I've found reviews on Google more reliable than TripAdvisor which seems over-positive -- there are usually a lot more of them, and more honest "OK" or negative ones.

The main advantage due to the numbers is there are usually recent reviews, which given the rate that landlords change are *far* more useful than old ones.

And that's the potential problem with boater reviews of pubs, not enough visit them and submit up-to-date reviews -- especially older anti-technology boaters... 😉

I'm a bit unusual as I go to the pub for the "pub atmosphere" and beer while most reviews appear to concentrate on the food and how quickly its served.

Trip advisor often contains some surprising very bad reviews of good pubs...I wonder if these are the people who try to complain to get their meal for free?

There are a few pub/drinking review websites (whatpub etc) but these are often "empty" or out of date. Have not had much sucess with Google reviews of pubs

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

I'm a bit unusual as I go to the pub for the "pub atmosphere" and beer while most reviews appear to concentrate on the food and how quickly its served.

Trip advisor often contains some surprising very bad reviews of good pubs...I wonder if these are the people who try to complain to get their meal for free?

There are a few pub/drinking review websites (whatpub etc) but these are often "empty" or out of date. Have not had much sucess with Google reviews of pubs

Whatpub is not a review guide. Just an almanac of pubs. 

It is updated by CAMRA members

29 minutes ago, dmr said:

Whatpub and beerintheevening are better if you're a beer drinker (like you and me), but so often out of date. A lot of Google reviews do focus on the food (or coldness of the lager...) but there are usually useful comments about the beer too.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Whatpub and beerintheevening are better if you're a beer drinker (like you and me), but so often out of date. A lot of Google reviews do focus on the food (or coldness of the lager...) but there are usually useful comments about the beer too.

Trip adviser has/had a very poor review of the Holy Inadequate due to their inability to provide food and let children in. 😀

35 minutes ago, dmr said:

Trip adviser has/had a very poor review of the Holy Inadequate due to their inability to provide food and let children in. 😀

Amazing how some people just don't get it, isn't it? The Google reviews mostly rave about the pub, the beer, and the pork pies... 😉

• 2 weeks later...

We have just reached 600 points on our map for Pubs, Restaurant, Cafes

We have approx.

335 Pubs

123 Bars

121 Cafes

91 Restaurants

14 Fast food Restaurants (Includes Fish and Chip shops)

5 Ice Cream Parlour, Boats and Kiosks

Numbers are a bit rough as some peoples Cafes are restaurants and some pub, call themselves bar etc etc

https://floydtilla.co.uk/canal-and-riverside-pubs-and-restaurants/

8 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Have you considered publishing these as POI files so other people can use them?

Hi Stephen

Not yet, but will do once I feel they are getting near complete, at the moment they are all a work in progress and I am still learning about mapping.

D

On 01/10/2023 at 14:33, IanD said:

didn’t realise that Beer In The Evdning was still going. It was an excellent site in its time but seemed to die a death about 10 years ago 

On 14/10/2023 at 19:02, David Floyd said:

I have started to use and link to WhatPub, but Beerintheevening just seemed dead and the HTML was a way off.

D

I did say BITE was horribly out of date -- it used to be good, but I suspect whoever maintained it enthusiastically doesn't any more... 😞