Featured Posts

If I've deciphered that correctly from the absent punctuation and capitalisation, you have a pram hood cover that you can 't fit on to the boat after being off while cruising? Try getting it warm first. This afternoon looks to be forecast for 20C and some weak sun around the Soar. Leave it over the frame in the sun, then try and get it over the frame and down to the fixings. People try and install hoods when it is warm, so they don't sag in hot weather, but this makes them harder to fit when cold.

It happens over time. I'm in the process of replacing my 16year old cratch cover. The manufacturer of the new one says they rarely last more than 10 years before shrinking to the point where they no longer fit.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

It happens over time. I'm in the process of replacing my 16year old cratch cover. The manufacturer of the new one says they rarely last more than 10 years before shrinking to the point where they no longer fit.

The hoods on NC were about 11 years old when we sold her and still fit just fine. 

We gave them a good clean and Fabsil every year and they were still in excellent condition in 2021 when we sold her. 

Fast forward to this year when we saw her in July, the new owners had obviously done nothing with them and they barely fit at all. They looked terrible!

If you look after them they will last. We were on a friend's boat not long back and his Hoods are 17 years old now and still look in good condition. Gey a quality product and look after it and it will last.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

The hoods on NC were about 11 years old when we sold her and still fit just fine. 

We gave them a good clean and Fabsil every year and they were still in excellent condition in 2021 when we sold her. 

Fast forward to this year when we saw her in July, the new owners had obviously done nothing with them and they barely fit at all. They looked terrible!

If you look after them they will last. We were on a friend's boat not long back and his Hoods are 17 years old now and still look in good condition. Gey a quality product and look after it and it will last.

I agree, mine were originally made by Wilson's and still look reasonably good (I've cleaned with Fabsil and re-stained it with Renovo on a regular basis), but it has shrunk by about six inches, so the press studs on the roof no longer line up and the overlap on the gunnels no longer overlaps... 😖

The replacement is coming from Kinver Canopies, who staff used to work for Wilson's.