Advice needed

Gavlar1980

Featured Posts

Good morning all. 
we are currently on a riverside mooring with no shore power. 
we have been experiencing large air bubbles releasing from underneath the hull. We are moored on top of a fair amount of weed as pictured. Although the noise does make up jump through the night I’m more concerned about if this might have a long term affect on the hull and baseplate. 
any advice would be appreciated. 
I am hoping to put my mind at rest regarding corrosion. 
Many thanks 

DAD6600F-DCA7-456A-95F2-A83B9C77FB96.jpeg

It might be the weed re;easing oxygen IF it is in sunlight, but more likely rotting vegetation releasing methane. However, the rotting vegetation is common on canals, but not so on rivers where there is flow and floods during the winter to wash it away. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

We were at Ripon for 7 years where we had similar with marsh gas bubbling up. When we got onto the boat it would be released so suspect it collected under the baseplate until we stood on the side. When I went into a dry dock that enabled me to see underneath I was horrifies to see the baseplate covered in dome shaped pits, some 4mm deep. I spot welded them sandblasted and two-packed the plate.

If you intend to stay there I suggest you black the baseplate next time you dry dock the boat.

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

If you intend to stay there I suggest you black the baseplate next time you dry dock the boat.

I've had a couple of moorings over the years where gas collects under the baseplate and is then released as the boat moves. It's a widebeam so it collects more gas than a narrowboat. My baseplate is unpainted and has never had a problem with pitting 

10 hours ago, Midnight said:

Edited by blackrose

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've had a couple of moorings over the years where gas collects under the baseplate and is then released as the boat moves. It's a widebeam so it collects more gas than a narrowboat. My baseplate is unpainted and has never had a problem with pitting 

Lucky you! Probably good steel. There was a Norton Canes boat near mine at Ripon. 30 years old and stretched in the middle sometime after build. The original steel was 'as new' the 10ft extension needed spot welding and painting.