Venetian Hire Boats and Chandlery - Middlewich Canal

JoeC

Featured Posts

Copy of a Facebook posting from Venetian Hire Boats and Chandlery on the Middlewich Canal.

'To all my Fabulous customers, guest and Friends I want to say a heartfelt thank you for all your support over the last few years and to let you know that, with a heavy heart, some tears and not through my own choice, that Venetian Hireboats and Chandlery will no longer be trading as such from Venetian Marina.

We will be here until end of October but I hope to see some of you around the canal system.
Thank you all once again'.

Their lease has been terminated but it does not state why. Sue and the team were always polite and very helpful.
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...

An update from the chandlers via Facebook ...

CLOSING SALE NOW ON! GRAB A BARGAIN!
25% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE SHOP*
EXTRA 10 % DISCOUNT FOR CASH
CASH ONLY PAYMENTS AFTER 14TH OCTOBER DUE TO CARD MACHINE BEING RETURNED
* excludes diesel, gas, solid fuels and items stocked on behalf of the roving traders

• 6 months later...

Since my original posting in August 2023, the chandlers reopened by somebody else and was called Bridge 5 Chandlers.

Unfortunately, things have gone belly up with the posting below on their website ( Bridge 5 Chandlers | Venetian Marina, Nantwich ) ...

NOTICE OF CLOSURE OF BRIDGE 5

Statement as of 22.04.2024

It is with regret that we announce the closure of Bridge 5 Chandlers at Venetian Marina. This decision comes as a result of several unfortunate events and circumstances beyond our control.

Firstly, one of the directors of the company, who was entrusted with leading the business, failed to fulfill their responsibilities by consistently failing to show up for work. This breach of trust and duty ultimately led to their dismissal.

Furthermore, it has come to light that the Director engaged in unethical behavior by stealing over £1,000 worth of stock from the shop, further compromising the integrity and viability of the business.

Additionally, the abrupt termination of our tenancy by Venetian Marina Management without prior notice or opportunity for discussion severely disrupted our operations and left us with no recourse for resolution.

Despite our attempts to address these issues through dialogue, Venetian Marina Management refused to engage in a constructive meeting to resolve the matters at hand, leaving us feeling marginalized and unsupported.

Throughout this entire ordeal, we have endured pressure, harassment, and a boycott, which has significantly impacted our ability to operate effectively and sustainably. In light of these challenges, we have reluctantly accepted the situation and have chosen to vacate the premises, allowing Venetian Marina to proceed as they see fit.

We would like to express our gratitude to our loyal customers and supporters who have stood by us during this challenging time. We deeply regret any inconvenience this closure may cause and assure you that we explored all possible avenues before reaching this decision.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

However, the Chamberlain Carrying Company (fuel boat on the Llangollen) have taken it over ( chamberlain carrying co - search results | Facebook ) ...

'Ruth Chamberlain

Bit of change in direction for us this week, as we have decided to take over the lease on a local marina chandlery!

We will continue to work both motor boats on the Llangollen and Shroppie canals with the help of the lovely Sven.
The chandlers concerned is based at Venetian Marina on the Middlewich Canal.
We are aiming to get the forecourt services running again as a priority, then roll out the internal shop areas gradually as time and funds allow!
Scary decision but hopefully we can manage it as a team and keep everyone served as best we can. I will post more as we get more organised but first we have my last festival to attend at Norbury Mayday weekend, so busy busy busy.'.
Edited by JoeC

From what I've read, the bit where it went badly was getting a known scammer involved who then did what he's best known for. Good news if Chamberlain Carrying Co. can make it work, they're decent folks.

Edited by Ewan123

Not sure it's wise for the former chandlery owners to be so up front in public about the reasons for closure, especially as they make allegations against a named business.

If that is their attitude I can understand why the marina management didn't want to discuss them staying on!