Window installation

Featured Posts

I am removing existing windows, having them powder coated and intend to reinstall.  The existing screws are brass slowed heads.  I did not expect them to be brass and very difficult to extract in one piece.

What are the recommended screw type.

Any additional advice appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Saint Paul said:

I am removing existing windows, having them powder coated and intend to reinstall.  The existing screws are brass slowed heads.  I did not expect them to be brass and very difficult to extract in one piece.

Do you mean wood screws, self tappers, or machine screws?

My windows passed through the steel cabin side and screwed into the wooden cabin side framing. I replaced them with stainless steel raised head self-tapping screws that will hold in decent wood. I also grease them as I fitted them.

2 hours ago, Saint Paul said:

The original owner of my boat specified powder coated aluminium windows.

After 7 or 8 years the powder coating began to lift. The same had happened to my aluminium patio furniture.

The other brass boat fittings are still good after 15 years.

I would have the aluminium windows anodised rather than powder coated.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space.

Stainless machine screws in to tapped holes in the steelwork here. Installed with copperslip. Butyl rubber strip for the seal. Were very easy to remove to take the windows out for painting the cabin.

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

After 7 or 8 years the powder coating began to lift. The same had happened to my aluminium patio furniture.

The other brass boat fittings are still good after 15 years.

I would have the aluminium windows anodised rather than powder coated.

By contrast, the powder coating on my windows (Caldwell) is fine after 15 years. There wasn't any way to predict that for either of us fifteen years ago, unfortunately, so you take a chance.

43 minutes ago, Saint Paul said:

Thanks guys will look on inside of boat to ascertain what screw enter into wood or just self tapped into the boat steal.  They certainly look like normal brass screws to me.  Will be at boat on Monday to check.

Brass screws would not self tap into steel.