Considering wat liveaboard to go for...Broads cruiser i reckon ?

W+T

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But most people don't maintain them like you did, they run them until they fall apart 

Even with maintenance they fall apart 🤣🤣🤣

Friends of ours have just had one of these self implode on a run back from Ipswich to Lowestoft (fortunately they have a pair) and they are arguably more serious about their maintenance than we were!

Said drives were professionally rebuilt 3 years ago!

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Tripe, just contact Chertsey Meads for bits. 

Yes just try - have a look at their website, they have almost nothing compared to what they used to have and they say ...........

Please note that due to the sudden increase in the price and the lack of availability of some of the spares we have had to close our online shop, but we are still available to take orders 7 days a week.

Hence my link to BobKnowles who is actually building new legs and making the parts.

Bob Knowles, after being a distributor for ENFIELD Z DRIVES and spare parts for many years, became the manufacturer of this product in 1993.  He bought all the stock, moulds, castings, fixtures, fittings and drawings and still continues to manufacture spare parts for these units today.  Reconditioned and second hand also available.

4 hours ago, W+T said:

for the cost tough to get somebody to come out to remove a plastic bag seems daft wen you can do it yourself with a weed hatch. and amount of time we have had prop fouled is ridiculous.  thats on the L&L and Lancaster. 

I think you need a boathook with the inner radius sharpened.

If the prop can't be reached from the cockpit, I have seen an old photo of the skipper lying on the bank probing under the transom.

4 hours ago, W+T said:

for the cost tough to get somebody to come out to remove a plastic bag seems daft wen you can do it yourself with a weed hatch. and amount of time we have had prop fouled is ridiculous.  thats on the L&L and Lancaster. 

If the prop can't be reached from the cockpit, I have seen an old photo of the skipper lying on the bank probing under the transom.

4 hours ago, W+T said:

4 hours ago, W+T said:

BLOODY SODDING THING HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!

Not responding when I click post, so I do it again and again untill it posts it!!!

Edited by Mad Harold

11 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

BLOODY SODDING THING HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!

Not responding when I click post, so I do it again and again untill it posts it!!!

Do you think he needs a boathook with the inner radius sharpened !

19 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Not advice that would have helped the chap we found drifting sideways with the current on the Nene. His cruiser didn't have a weed hatch and neither bank could be reached because of dense vegetation. We helped him from our boat, but what he really needed was a weed hatch.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Not advice that would have helped the chap we found drifting sideways with the current on the Nene. His cruiser didn't have a weed hatch and neither bank could be reached because of dense vegetation. We helped him from our boat, but what he really needed was a weed hatch.

None of the Broads boats we have hired have ever had a weed hatch.

42 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

All shaft drive narrowboats have weed hatches: the OP wants to use his boat on the cut.

Great. But the OP doesn't want a narrowboat and the type of boats he is wanting on the whole do not have a weed hatch.

52 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

All shaft drive narrowboats have weed hatches: 

No they don't, very few if any working boats had weed hatches.

There are doubtless many more that don't 🤔

• Greenie 1

There are plenty of GRP cruisers without weed hatches on the canals. Yes, it's better to have one but as with all boats you work with what you've got. If it's going to be a project boat on hard standing for a significant period then you could consider creating a weed hatch if the stern/transom design allows that. That's far from given and even if the stern design and your GRP skills mean you are able to install your own weed hatch just make sure it's done properly. There are a lot of stresses at that point of the hull from engine vibration, the prop shaft which may not be perfectly aligned and the prop itself putting pressure on the hull from the outside. Any mistakes or deficiencies in your weed hatch design or fibreglassing technique could result in the boat sinking. 

8 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Or ........................

IMG_20160924_101247.jpg

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or ........................

IMG_20160924_101247.jpg

True, but having been in and under a few times to free prop fouls on cruisers early in the year (around Easter) when I was on the fleet, I think that you have missed out the dry suit if the OP is contemplating winter boating.

14 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

No they don't, very few if any working boats had weed hatches.

There are doubtless many more that don't 🤔

I accept that, but how many current narrowboat fabricators build NBs without weed hatches? I assume they do this because of a need, a demand, convenience, to avoid having to enter the water when that is the only other option. 

Of course, you do the best you can if you don't have a weed hatch, but they haven't become so popular for no reason.

The very first week after we took delivery of our new barge, we picked up a men's puffer jacket on our prop and it stalled the engine. Even with a weed hatch and direct access, it was a devil to get the thing off. 

Imagine that happening in a tunnel: you may have half a mile of legging or punting to do if no other boats came along.

I for one wouldn't be without a weed hatch on the inland waterways.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

True, but having been in and under a few times to free prop fouls on cruisers early in the year (around Easter) when I was on the fleet, I think that you have missed out the dry suit if the OP is contemplating winter boating.

It is SWMBOs job so I don't get cold.

She did almost get hypothermia last summer trying to clear a lobster pot line from around the shaft - it had welded itself into a big lump of polypropylene.

Feeling sorry for her so she now has a wetsuit, a semi-dry suit and a full drysuit.

20221017_112247 (2).jpg

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is SWMBOs job so I don't get cold.

She did almost get hypothermia last summer trying to clear a lobster pot line from around the shaft - it had welded itself into a big lump of polypropylene.

Feeling sorry for her so she now has a wetsuit, a semi-dry suit and a full drysuit.

20221017_112247 (2).jpg

Lobster pots only marked by semi-submerged empty 5l plastic cans, the scourge of the east coast! Especially because weed hatches are almost unheard of in coastal waters.

I like to think common sense will prevail as in the weed hatch situation.

If anybody was to build a boat or get one built to be used on a canal common sense would say fit a weed hatch. Why not if done properly ? I would rater and i am sure anybody would rather use a weed hatch than scuba gear or poke around wit luck wit a pole.

Canals are dumping grounds even more nowadays. so to make a cruise more of a joy then you need to make it so. 

It doesnt matter if a boat didnt have this ort that when it was built. If the owner wants an addition to make thigs better then why not. 

29 minutes ago, W+T said:

I like to think common sense will prevail as in the weed hatch situation.

If anybody was to build a boat or get one built to be used on a canal common sense would say fit a weed hatch. Why not if done properly ? I would rater and i am sure anybody would rather use a weed hatch than scuba gear or poke around wit luck wit a pole.

Canals are dumping grounds even more nowadays. so to make a cruise more of a joy then you need to make it so. 

It doesnt matter if a boat didnt have this ort that when it was built. If the owner wants an addition to make thigs better then why not. 

There can be an issue, if you buy a boat not designed for the canals to use on the canals, such as a Broads cruiser.

Perhaps there isn't a problem with old fertilizer bags, items of clothing etc, let alone excessive weed growth on the Broads, hence why such boats don't always have weed hatches.

I'd feel very vulnerable on the canals without one, as the water doesn't often look very inviting.

49 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

There can be an issue, if you buy a boat not designed for the canals to use on the canals, such as a Broads cruiser.

Perhaps there isn't a problem with old fertilizer bags, items of clothing etc, let alone excessive weed growth on the Broads, hence why such boats don't always have weed hatches.

I'd feel very vulnerable on the canals without one, as the water doesn't often look very inviting.

exactly my point, i am building this boat for canals and rivers so be daft not to make a weed hatch while i can . 

i have been in a few times while working and wasnt pleasant. 

22 minutes ago, W+T said:

exactly my point, i am building this boat for canals and rivers so be daft not to make a weed hatch while i can . 

i have been in a few times while working and wasnt pleasant. 

Well worth the trouble, you'll be so glad you did I recon.

5 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Well worth the trouble, you'll be so glad you did I recon.

Dont see as trouble, i see it as fun then haha. Trying to decide on drive now, shaft is good but less control than OD ond IB. 

22 minutes ago, W+T said:

Dont see as trouble, i see it as fun then haha. Trying to decide on drive now, shaft is good but less control than OD ond IB. 

I'm like you and see such a challenge as fun; go for it!

Shaft drive is simple; less to go wrong and cheaper to keep serviceable. 

A point re DIY weed hatches on flat floor Broads cruisers. I have a feeling that you may well find that the rear bulkhead is more or less above the prop. That may complicate things somewhat, so try to get a look at a few contender designs.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

A point re DIY weed hatches on flat floor Broads cruisers. I have a feeling that you may well find that the rear bulkhead is more or less above the prop. That may complicate things somewhat, so try to get a look at a few contender designs.

I have been trying to find tat out Tony. I like the look of the Aquafibre 44 but unable to see any pictures or info. so tanks for that. When i have a few weekends free ill go out  and look at a few on the dry if i can find some. O my struggle also at it seems not many around for my 10-15k budget.