Fund Britain's Waterways. Birmingham Campaign Cruise. 12th - 13th August

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes it does clarify, and I hope plenty turn up

It was the tone of the email and the contact number for ‘Ivor’ at bottom that made me ask where the email came from.

Im not sure whether that matters at all.

IWA is only one of many waterways organisations that have come together for this initiative. They include NABO, RYA, AWCC, BMA and RBOA, to name a few. Ivor of RBOA is leading the small team who is organising this Birmingham flotilla, hence his name on the email. The IWA has the infrastructure and paid staff to put together the group info online, hence it looks a bit like it's all being done by them.

Thanks for that 👍

But I think it should be made clear who the email is from and who it is we are supporting

“Many thanks for supporting us by attending the first event of this campaign, it is great to see members of so many waterways’ organisations coming together to demonstrate our concerns.

US?

OUR?

who am I supporting?

and who’s concerns?

I believe Ivor didn't want to put his organisation(s) on that notice because he didn't want it to look as if it was just an IWA initiative because obviously there are many waterways related organisations involved. IWA are leading and co-ordinating it that's all.

3 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I believe Ivor didn't want to put his organisation(s) on that notice because he didn't want it to look as if it was just an IWA initiative because obviously there are many waterways related organisations involved. IWA are leading and co-ordinating it that's all.

Does it really matter who is organising the event. Are we really going to let Canals close because we didn't like who was running the events or campaign

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party.

(Or something like that) 

Yes it does matter who is organising ? what are you saying ?

Tonka et al - here's the link in case you haven't yet seen the list of all the associations who have come together to publicise the funding shortfall and attempt to get this government to think again. How about you all come along to see for yourselves what it's all about next weekend, by boat just turn up or, just as importantly, be on the towpath. Or at least sign the petition? Anyway, scroll down on the link to see how many well established groups have united for this: https://waterways.org.uk/fund-britains-waterways#:~:text=Fund Britain's Waterways (FBW) is,and supporters of inland waterways.

I think it’s generally understood Fund British Waterways is a coalition of groups organising things. 
Yes, I looked awhile ago to see who the groups are. 
And I also gather some of the above posters will be attending. 

Im in Brum now, whether I’m still here next weekend to attend is still undecided.

What I was questioning is the no mentioning of Fund British Waterways in the email (other than banners) but
lots of ‘We’,

can we read ‘we’ as Fund British Waterways’?

All I was asking 👍

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

yes, I can see that,

so why not put forward FBW to the notice?

Edited by Goliath

https://waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/mayor-backs-birmingham-campaign-cruise-organised-by-fund-britains-waterways

just an additional bit of reading, 

which also tells us Les Etheridge is the chair of Fund British Waterways 

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

https://waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/mayor-backs-birmingham-campaign-cruise-organised-by-fund-britains-waterways

just an additional bit of reading, 

which also tells us Les Etheridge is the chair of Fund British Waterways 

To become chairman don't you have to be voted in at an AGM

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I guess it could be an error

because I think he’s actually National Chair of IWA

not that it matters much,

just trying to understand things,

nope, he’s both chair of FBW and IWA

Edited by Goliath

On 05/08/2023 at 14:29, Tonka said:

I believe that FBW is in organisational/legal terms a coalition of other organisations, ie it does not have a legal personality, bank accounts, etc etc. So (for example) it is not a registered charity, though some/many of the coalition will be (eg IWA), and they will provide the infrastructure (eg IWA are providing the website). So to be chair of FBW you are just chosen by the first meeting of the constituent organisations. Very different to the process for being elected chair of one of the consitutent organisations - all of whom will have their own process for that. 

Apologies for going down a bit of a rabbit hole. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Getting busy here in Brum 

the boaters I’ve spoken with were unaware of a gathering on Sunday,

but now they know they say they’ll attend

We are coming into Birmingham in the morning, hopefully we will find somewhere.  

Surprised someone who arrived today is intending to be still there on Sunday, I was suspecting that most would not know about the mooring trial, have the signs been changed?

12 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We are coming into Birmingham in the morning, hopefully we will find somewhere.  

Surprised someone who arrived today is intending to be still there on Sunday, I was suspecting that most would not know about the mooring trial, have the signs been changed?

So why should that make a difference?😁

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

So why should that make a difference?😁

If you didn’t know the trial was on you would probably have been planning on leaving Saturday if you were arriving today, there were few mooring spots over 2 days previously in the city centre.  Perhaps CRT’s communication has got through this time!