REQUIRED Buffalo Board

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Twoboxes said:

Has anyone got any off cuts for sale?

I'm moored up on the macc and require a piece of Buffalo Board for engine bay. 

2ft 10" x 4ft 3.5"  18mm thickness 

Thanks 

Try looking on Google for local van lining workshop. 

16 hours ago, Twoboxes said:

Has anyone got any off cuts for sale?

I'm moored up on the macc and require a piece of Buffalo Board for engine bay. 

2ft 10" x 4ft 3.5"  18mm thickness 

Thanks 

Since Buffalo Board normally comes in 8x4 sheets, and the length you want is more than 4 feet, it's going to have to come out of a full board lengthways. That isn't anybody's offcut.

Have you thought about buying a full board and selling your offcuts? 

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Since Buffalo Board normally comes in 8x4 sheets, and the length you want is more than 4 feet, it's going to have to come out of a full board lengthways. That isn't anybody's offcut.

Have you thought about buying a full board and selling your offcuts? 

But if the OP goes to a user of such board, then they would supply and cut the board to size for him, even if he ends up paying for a full board. Hence, the recommendations to look for a van or commercial vehicle bodyworks, or I will add a decent boatyard.

Buffalo board is widely used in the construction of trailers too, so a trailer fabricator (there are lots around) might also sell a piece.

I have my doubts though as any business using the stuff routinely on a day-today basis is unlikely to be wanting to sell their stock of materials to randoms requesting it. They'll want to keep it for making their trailers. Buying in and maintaining the stock of materials needed to keep the business running takes significant effort. A point few people who have not actually done it, realise. 

If you are near Whaley Bridge then call the wood yard below - they are opposite the Transhipment building road entrance. I spoke to them about a year ago and they can get Buffalo / Hexagrip in for you. They can also cut it to size.

image.png.1818239294d169403c69650eee08bb03.png

Proper buffalo board is made by using a hydraulic press to squash a fully grown North American buffalo in to an 8x4 sheet. Originally developed in America by Buffalo Bill to provide a cheap, durable lining material for covered wagons and railroad cars during the western migration of US citizens after the civil war, the price rose dramatically when the raw materials were hunted to near extinction. This is why it is so expensive to buy.  Don't be fobbed off with boards made from European bison or Asian water buffalo, They are inferior products and won't last anything like as long. There is a supposed to be a material called Gruffalo Board, but no one can agree exactly what it looks like.

• Haha 4