Abington Lock, River Nene

PaulJ

Featured Posts

• PaulJ changed the title to Abington Lock, River Nene
43 minutes ago, pearley said:

"While parts are sourced" wouldn't make me feel confident of a quick repair.

Lol. As Im sure you know its the standard response. I am assuming that as its actually on the Barrage Gates they will be pulling the stops out as this failure could result in a little more  than holding a couple of boats up.

Im/was picking up a boat Sunday from the Boat Club at Weston Flavell- I had thought that was near enough the end of the Nene to be able to get through without any closures.Wrong. 😀

Just now, GUMPY said:

At Yarwell they are "sourcing contractors to facilitate the repairs"

When they have them then they go looking for the parts😱

We had to wait at Barnwell a few weeks back. Three guys working on the lock. The uj joint had failed or summit. We were lucky to only have to wait an hour, and even luckier they actually had a part. 

• Horror 1

I've just been told its the big automatic floodgate (just before you reach the lock as you are heading toward Northampton) stuck in the up position. Seems its jammed while it was being tested/inspected.

Which would definetely prevent passage 😀

Also heard a rumour it *may* be sorted mid week as they hope to be able to lower it and repair it then.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

I've just been told its the big automatic floodgate (just before you reach the lock as you are heading toward Northampton) stuck in the up position. Seems its jammed while it was being tested/inspected.

Also heard a rumour it *may* be sorted mid week as they hope to be able to lower it and repair it then.

To clarify for those who've not been there. These gates rise from the bed of the channel, so the up position is closed. They're down when stowed on the river bottom to allow navigation.

MP.

26 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

To clarify for those who've not been there. These gates rise from the bed of the channel, so the up position is closed. They're down when stowed on the river bottom to allow navigation.

MP.

Thanks MP.

Got to admit I've still never seen one yet..

25 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well that is annoying, especially after I’ve coughed up for an Anglian Pass, switched to a gold licence, joined FOTRN and GOBA.

That's a polite way of putting it 😀

Chap who's boat I was supposed to be taking to Newark so he could spend his (booked off time from work holiday and Gold Licence) bringing it back is less than happy too. Although I suppose I should thank the EA for reducing my tax bill by the loss of several weeks wages this year so far.

It is , boating aside I thought, an important part of Northamptons flood protection. Let's hope we don't get any freak rain/floods in the next few weeks while the EAs contractors are faffing about. 

On 01/07/2023 at 14:19, PaulJ said:

Thanks for that, I was trying to work out why boats were not being allowed through, with the gate sitting on the bed of the river. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thanks for that, I was trying to work out why boats were not being allowed through, with the gate sitting on the bed of the river. 

Think the problem was when they went to lower it and it wouldnt they were hoping for a slightly easier fix. Looks like it's going to be a tougher problem to solve.

Are you on your way back now or are you out for a bit longer? Hope its not buggered your plans too much regardless 🙂

• Greenie 1

Looks like it has been repaired and reopened now.

No official notice as yet but read its open on Facebook and checked to make sure the notice(s) are no longer in Teamup...

Too late for me but good news for everyone waiting and finished ahead of time 🙂

• Greenie 2

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested. The earlier EA notice said there would be a further stoppage in September for a couple of weeks to reinstall the repaired gate. I understand from the EA that this is now not needed, the gate was repaired in situ in the  original stoppage. 

• Greenie 2