Left the Wey

mark99

Featured Posts

Left Pyford Marina and now back moored 220 miles further north on a more intimate offside mooring. Happy days. Not a huge fan of marinas although Pyrford is a very pretty one.

355887589_305862731767375_272408460057696808_n.jpg

355486286_305862781767370_8420701602205399877_n.jpg

Edited by mark99

13 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Nice looking boat.

Like Mark, I find marinas soul-less and uninspiring places to moor.

Conversely I've also found a woodland mooring like this makes a right mess of the boat with tree sap, bird sh!t, leaves, dust and general naturalness continually falling onto it so at 220 miles away, keeping it looking that nice will be quite an effort. 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe he is the land owner and lives close to the boat on the farm. 

Mark occasionally mentions he lives in Carshalton in Surrey.

But yes, he could easily be the landowner up north too! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Mark occasionally mentions he lives in Carshalton in Surrey.

But yes, he could easily be the landowner up north too! 

I think you will find he moved to somewhere near the Caldon Canal 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I think you will find he moved to somewhere near the Caldon Canal 

Thanks, I missed that. Hubble bubble, toil and trouble eh?

It is a really lovely mooring though, forgot to say. 

Edited by MtB
Add a bit.

40 minutes ago, MtB said:

Conversely I've also found a woodland mooring like this makes a right mess of the boat with tree sap, bird sh!t, leaves, dust and general naturalness continually falling onto it so at 220 miles away, keeping it looking that nice will be quite an effort. 

It's very close to my home MTB:)

Funnily enough the nearest canal to me is the Uttoxeter Canal at Alton - has no water tho!  (400 yards away).

Although here we have 540 yards of the Churnet (500 yards away) - it's non navigable.  :)

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, MtB said:

You mean to say there are marinas where you don't get the boat covered in tree sap, birdshit (especially duck and goose), and general natural crap and corruption? If so, I haven't found one.

18 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You mean to say there are marinas where you don't get the boat covered in tree sap, birdshit (especially duck and goose), and general natural crap and corruption? If so, I haven't found one.

Yes, I used to live in a marina where the ducks very seldom walked/shat on the roof, and the trees were a sensible distance away.

At our marina the ducks sometimes use the pontoon as a toilet, the dust from the road round the marina is the biggest problem really. If it's a dry sunny week away on return it looks like the car has done the Dakar.

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

Left Pyford Marina and now back moored 220 miles further north on a more intimate offside mooring. Happy days. Not a huge fan of marinas although Pyrford is a very pretty one.

355887589_305862731767375_272408460057696808_n.jpg

355486286_305862781767370_8420701602205399877_n.jpg

Saw you go past my house and mooring a couple of weeks ago.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

You passed us at Hawksbury 

It was a stuttering journey - got onto  Thames immediate issue with strong flow. The river went to red boards just as the boat got on it (it stated yellow just before leaving the Wey). Could not make the turn to Shepperton and had to go with the flow and take refuge in Sunbury Lock for 6 days until the river calmed down. The lockie was good - not charging for mooring or starting the visitors licence until off flood alert. I think they board status is only updated twice per day not real time anymore according to towpath talk.

Edited by mark99