Anglian waterways trip - questions!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

We've been to Cambridge twice in the last couple of months and surprisingly have been the only boat in the visitor moorings each time. (Apart from a small cruiser obviously overstaying) Perhaps this is due to so many local boaters refusing to pay for the Anglian Pass. We intend to visit again in September. Must get as much value as we can for the £112.

The pump price here at Hartford is £1.40.

Yes £112 would be a lot for a visit but for us it was bearable because it covers ML too. Not sure how much checking goes on though, there seemed to be quite a few boats with no visible sign of a registration or pass. We did see one moored on the 48 hr moorings just beyond the Bridge pub that had obviously been there for a while judging by the debris on the roof which had a naughty ticket on it, but then that is just over the road from the Cam Conservators office.

Just now, rusty69 said:

It was more than that when I popped into Jones a few months back. 

I ended up going to Tesco (not in the boat). 

I foolishly filled at Cathedral Marina in Ely 3 weeks ago without checking the price. £1.88 at 60/40.

Just now, nicknorman said:

Yes £112 would be a lot for a visit but for us it was bearable because it covers ML too. Not sure how much checking goes on though, there seemed to be quite a few boats with no visible sign of a registration or pass. We did see one moored on the 48 hr moorings just beyond the Bridge pub that had obviously been there for a while judging by the debris on the roof which had a naughty ticket on it, but then that is just over the road from the Cam Conservators office.

There were 3 overstayers there for some time but down to one on our last visit. Plus a couple if boats that seem to be switching between the GOBA and Waterbeach moorings.

• Horror 1

38 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

End of navigation I suppose. The Waterways Routes maps we are using shows 60’ winding at the end, we are 59’. But it also shows several “low bridges” without saying how low.

Oh and we’ll need diesel in the next few days, any recommendations?

Convenient pump at Buckland, on the main channel just below Offord lock.  And the marina in Bedford also has a convenient pump. 

The Bedford bridges will be fine,  as you got under the low bridges on the ML. It's worth going up to Kempston   which is a mile or two above the EA's  formal head of navigation. 

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

End of navigation I suppose. The Waterways Routes maps we are using shows 60’ winding at the end, we are 59’. But it also shows several “low bridges” without saying how low.

Well that was the point of my question really - where is the end of navigation?

If you can get under the railway bridges in Bedford Town centre you can get quite a long way further upstream. In 2001 we got Fulbourne (71ft 6in long and 3ft draft) up to a couple of hundred yards short of the footbridge at Kempston Mill (which is where the Bedford-MK waterway is supposed to connect) before going aground on a shoal. We then had to reverse back a short way to somewhere where we could wind. When we tried again in 2018 we could only get about half way from the railway bridges to Kempston Mill. Not sure whether that was just a difference in the amount of water in the river or whether some more permanent change in conditions. So I would be interested in how far you can get.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you can get under the railway bridges in Bedford Town centre you can get quite a long way further upstream. In 2001 we got Fulbourne (71ft 6in long and 3ft draft) up to a couple of hundred yards short of the footbridge at Kempston Mill (which is where the Bedford-MK waterway is supposed to connect) before going aground on a shoal. We then had to reverse back a short way to somewhere where we could wind. When we tried again in 2018 we could only get about half way from the railway bridges to Kempston Mill. Not sure whether that was just a difference in the amount of water in the river or whether some more permanent change in conditions. So I would be interested in how far you can get.

The trip boat (ca 60 x 10) goes up there and may be able to advise.  I've been as far as here

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=502642&y=247887&z=115&sv=502642,247887&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=703&ax=502642&ay=247887&lm=0

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Waterways Routes show the limit of navigation at the Kempston footbridge with winding 50 yards or so short of that. We draw 2’9”. I’ll let you know. River seems to have a bit of fresh at the moment which will be good for grounding but bad for bridges!

36 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Waterways Routes show the limit of navigation at the Kempston footbridge with winding 50 yards or so short of that. We draw 2’9”. I’ll let you know. River seems to have a bit of fresh at the moment which will be good for grounding but bad for bridges!

We ran into a shoal before reaching the winding point, which was a bit awkward as there is an appreciable flow which makes reversing fun.

I am doubtful that a typical narrow boat will find the levels such that it is possible to both pass under the bridges and reach Kempston Mill.  Has anyone managed it?  Your own experience will be interesting.

The truly dedicated could pass under the bridges and then wait for the levels to rise before making the dash to Kempston.  Presumably one would have a further wait for the level to drop before proceeding downstream.

The better answer would be to use a different boat.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

You can get right up to and on the mooring immediately before Kempston Mill Bridge. It is a bit shoally though and you have to pick your way through.

I wouldnt attempt to wind there with any fresh coming down, you could get well wedged and become a temporary  dam - far better to reverse with the flow and wind where there is some depth and room.

20220119_163416.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

You can get right up to and on the mooring immediately before Kempston Mill Bridge. It is a bit shoally though and you have to pick your way through.

I wouldnt attempt to wind there with any fresh coming down, you could get well wedged and become a temporary  dam - far better to reverse with the flow and wind where there is some depth and room.

20220119_163416.jpg

That is further than I managed.  When I last did this I got stuck at the island a bit further downstream. One side was blocked by trees but looked as though it had a decent depth. The other side had no trees, but lots of shoaling. Looks like someone has got the saw out.

• Greenie 1

Yes the river is much nicer as you go further upstream. We stopped for shopping at St Ives and there is a lovely village just beyond. But we passed through Huntingdon, you don’t really see it from the river. Now on a GOBA in the middle of nowhere, next stop St Neots.

IMG_3729.thumb.jpeg.c352badc1b9e2d7bb3b29bc1d05f843e.jpeg

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

That is further than I managed.  When I last did this I got stuck at the island a bit further downstream. One side was blocked by trees but looked as though it had a decent depth. The other side had no trees, but lots of shoaling. Looks like someone has got the saw out.

That little Island always amuses me going around it -as it does any dog walkers in the park.

Really doesnt look like a narrowboat is going to fit.

Ps- photo taken Jan 22 not long after the mooring was done.

Edited by PaulJ

4 hours ago, PaulJ said:

20220119_163416.jpg

Well done!  Did you pass under the bridges from Bedford on the same day?

We got within sight of the Mill Footbridge in 2013 but couldn't reach it

http://narrowboattacet.blogspot.com/2013/06/head-and-hands.html?m=0

The water was sufficiently clear to see that the shoal was then the width of the river

I've given up shy of the railway bridge (clear it was going to be tight... and it had rained recently and I didn't fancy spending the next week upstream of the railway bridge!) before but made it through and up to the pictured mooring in Kempston the second time. What looks like a winding hole there isn't really a winding hole for anything approaching narrowboat depth, but about 250 yards downstream the wide part is a lot deeper

Wouldn't consider that last stretch worth damaging cratch boards, solar panels or other roof protrusions for, though it's a pleasant enough extension to a trip otherwise

Not sure if the lovely village after St Ives was the Hemingfords (with the mooring) or Houghton (with the lock), but make sure you pop into the other one on the way back!

9 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I've given up shy of the railway bridge (clear it was going to be tight... and it had rained recently and I didn't fancy spending the next week upstream of the railway bridge!) before but made it through and up to the pictured mooring in Kempston the second time. What looks like a winding hole there isn't really a winding hole for anything approaching narrowboat depth, but about 250 yards downstream the wide part is a lot deeper

Wouldn't consider that last stretch worth damaging cratch boards, solar panels or other roof protrusions for, though it's a pleasant enough extension to a trip otherwise

Not sure if the lovely village after St Ives was the Hemingfords (with the mooring) or Houghton (with the lock), but make sure you pop into the other one on the way back!

Probably Hemingford as mooring for Houghton not so obvious.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes the river is much nicer as you go further upstream. We stopped for shopping at St Ives and there is a lovely village just beyond. But we passed through Huntingdon, you don’t really see it from the river. Now on a GOBA in the middle of nowhere, next stop St Neots.

IMG_3729.thumb.jpeg.c352badc1b9e2d7bb3b29bc1d05f843e.jpeg

Visit both Godmanchester and Huntingdon on the way back then. 

Opposite GMC lock is Farm Hall which has a lot of history from WW2 and the church has some interesting headstones. In September the Cambridge Arts Theatre has a play based on the story of Farm Hall.

Huntingdon for a big shop. Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl and M & S and visit the Cromwell museum and admire the Town Hall.

44 minutes ago, pearley said:

Probably Hemingford as mooring for Houghton not so obvious.

Visit both Godmanchester and Huntingdon on the way back then. 

Opposite GMC lock is Farm Hall which has a lot of history from WW2 and the church has some interesting headstones. In September the Cambridge Arts Theatre has a play based on the story of Farm Hall.

Huntingdon for a big shop. Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl and M & S and visit the Cromwell museum and admire the Town Hall.

Yes I think the general idea has been to get to Bedford first, then on the way back we will have a better idea of what is what and where to stop.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Tacet said:

Well done!  Did you pass under the bridges from Bedford on the same day?

Yep. Do so every now and again.

I do have the advantage of mooring below Bedford Lock though 😀 so can go on a whim when River is good..

Edited by PaulJ
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well here we are moored at Gt Barford, so Bedford low bridges tomorrow … hmmm, quite a lot of rain due overnight. We shall see.

IMG_0247.jpeg.0c124e72ece449c472c64925aca09d70.jpeg

Just seen another photo of your boat on Facebook waiting at a lock

13 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well here we are moored at Gt Barford, so Bedford low bridges tomorrow … hmmm, quite a lot of rain due overnight. We shall see.

IMG_0247.jpeg.0c124e72ece449c472c64925aca09d70.jpeg

You need to be careful going through the navigation arch on the far right as the stream will try to push you into the reeds. Many boats take the downstream arch instead.

Carefully of course!

• Greenie 1

Just looking at our schedule we may be rather tight on time for the return journey. I had planned to “do” all the tributaries but we might have to miss one or two.

So please rank in the order of desirability, the Lark, the Wissey and the Little Ouse.

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Just looking at our schedule we may be rather tight on time for the return journey. I had planned to “do” all the tributaries but we might have to miss one or two.

So please rank in the order of desirability, the Lark, the Wissey and the Little Ouse.

My personal view:

1. Wicken Lode

2. Wissey

3. Little Ouse (you could choose to stop at the siphon at Lakenheath)

4. Lark, though the top half is more interesting.  Also the museum at Prickwillow is well worth a visit (check opening hours)

5. Relief channel