Stoke on Trent

PCSB

Featured Posts

We moored at the North end of the 1970sish Trentham estate shielded by hedging on a long straight last year having gone through the main part of  Stoke heading South. It was very quiet, we didn’t see anyone. I think that is where Ditchcrawler has moored? 
Nothing appealed before that really, it was either rammed looking a bit dodgy and /or goose filled. Mind it was 7pm. we walked round the estate too and saw no one either, perhaps they were all watching TV or in bed? 
It’s a bit of a walk but Trentham Gardens is worth a visit from round there. 

I moored in that spot at Trentham for about a week. No problems there, except a boat that rammed me head-on (while tied up) and knocked my soup off the stove. Didn't even apologise! 😡

Initially I was going to moor on the new-ish rings a little further up near Bridge 108; someone told me those are OK except football nights.

When I got there, the guy moored there told me it would be daft to moor there, so I didn't.

I asked a few locals about mooring near the railway station (which I was there to catch a train from), but they all stared at me in horror. I take it that's not a good place.

Edited by Francis Herne

12 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

We moored at the North end of the 1970sish Trentham estate shielded by hedging on a long straight last year having gone through the main part of  Stoke heading South. It was very quiet, we didn’t see anyone. I think that is where Ditchcrawler has moored? 

This is where I moor sometimes 

image.png.8e0540504684fc95ef1f3d38fedc9d97.png

image.png.500c7d5a467ae45b9c5cdbf2ff139dac.png

• Greenie 1

If you aren't in a rush then another nice mooring is in Hanley Park on the Caldon. You have to go through the staircase and one other shallow lock, but it's not that far and it's a nice spot - quiet all night too. Not sure how far you would have to go up to wind though?

Alec

50 minutes ago, agg221 said:

If you aren't in a rush then another nice mooring is in Hanley Park on the Caldon. You have to go through the staircase and one other shallow lock, but it's not that far and it's a nice spot - quiet all night too. Not sure how far you would have to go up to wind though?

Alec

They have smartened all the pavilion, bandstand and bridge up now

image.thumb.png.30d4550d8af481b0dd21faabd759bcf0.png

56 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Alec

I've always been told not to stop until well past Hanley Park when going up the Caldon.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I've always been told not to stop until well past Hanley Park when going up the Caldon.

Not sure why - we found it to be a decent mooring, quite well used with a fair number of boats about - probably six moored on the way up, four during the day on the way back down. The sides are deep and there are plenty of mooring rings installed to encourage boats to stop. That was in the school holidays too - lots of parents with their children in the park during the day, more babies being taken out in prams in the early evening and no sign of unsavoury goings on even late at night. Got quite a few friendly waves from the bridge in the evening too. Certainly felt safe enough to us.

Alec

13 hours ago, agg221 said:

Alec

We're in no rush so could see what the Caldon has to offer, thanks for the suggestion.

Moored by Westport Lake last week - it was very busy (6pm) but an obliging neighbour agreed to move their boat up a ring and we were just able to wedge ourselves in.  I agree the swans are a pest - lots of pooooo on the side as we stepped off the boat - but the views over the lake and the park benches are great. My marathon running crew member ran around the lake and said it was better than the towpath runs on other days.

I agree the tunnel mouth is good if you are happy to be the first through at 0800.  Must try the Holly Inadequate next time I'm passing.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2023 at 11:41, Jon57 said:

Watch out for the monkey dust. 🐒😭BBC News - Monkey dust drug clampdown could be coming in UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65556046

No monkey dust to report ;)

Thought I'd update this in case others find it useful. Just through Harecastle now.

On the way to Stoke we moored near the Plume of Feathers in Barlaston, nice spot, then went on to Trentham, near the Toby. Again nice spot, busy with lots of people & cyclists on the towpath but no bother - other than the bird poop! Then went through Stoke to Westport Lake. We really enjoyed the cruise through Stoke, not what I was expecting. It has a mix of old and derelict, old and in use and new industry and warehousing as well as business parks etc. No trouble at all. The locks were interesting too. Westport is lovely, not too bad for goose poo either. Never got to the Holy Inadequate sadly, so maybe next time. Decided against the Caldon this time but we will likely be down this way again soon enough.

On 11/05/2023 at 10:29, PCSB said:

We're in no rush so could see what the Caldon has to offer, thanks for the suggestion.

The caldon is lovely, once out of Stoke itself. Particularly this time of year. There are some challenging bits - we managed to ground on a rock that took ages to get off in a narrow turn. The steam trains bit is very nice if you like steam trains. 

But, a visit to the local shop just outside Stoke is an education in the reality of deprived areas, and probably familiar to anyone who went shopping in Poland in 1976. 

29 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

The caldon is lovely, once out of Stoke itself. Particularly this time of year. There are some challenging bits - we managed to ground on a rock that took ages to get off in a narrow turn. The steam trains bit is very nice if you like steam trains. 

But, a visit to the local shop just outside Stoke is an education in the reality of deprived areas, and probably familiar to anyone who went shopping in Poland in 1976. 

And don't let anyone tell you , you can't get a deep boat up there 

image.png.4f7bf0848bd53a5882722370c3d9d57d.png