Kitchen cabinets

Floaty Me Boaty

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

AI bot?

Yep, I'd say so. All the hallmarks are present.  

1) First post gives nothing away about themselves

2) Newly registered shortly before posting

3) Profile details not filled in

4) 100% generic advice being offered rather than personal experiences

5) Yet to be established in this case but AI bots don't engage in meaningful conversation with humans (although occasionally with each other). In particular AI bots don't hotly object to being called out as AI bots. Human posters tend to respond angrily to suggestions they are AI bots, understandably.

So, if we just wait a bit, and see...! 

Edited by MtB
Fiddle with it...

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

My galley came from IKEA and was adapted to fit the boat. It's ok - the doors are solid oak but the carcasses are lined chipboard which isn't ideal. Most of these flat pack kitchen cabinets are comprised of chipboard carcasses and I think the idea of chipboard on a boat is probably worse than the actuality. My kitchen is now nearly 19 years old and it's still fine. The chipboard hasn't turned to mush.

But I think if I were fitting a kitchen again I'd probably buy solid wood doors from any of the flatpack suppliers and make carcasses from ply - or if the doors weren't available separately and came with chipboard carcasses, I'd use the carcasses as templates to make my own plywood units.

To be honest, there's no reason my chipboard carcases wouldn't last another 20 years. I think it's just the idea of having cheap crap in one's boat that's off-putting, but in practice it makes no difference. An internal flood would have to rise higher than the 8" plastic carcass supports to have any effect so that's not likely unless the boat was sinking, and then I'd have bigger things to worry about than the kitchen cabinets.

I wonder how much living aboard matters?

I always think I’m keeping the boat aired and warm, the fire’s lit not just for me but the boat. 
But I wonder if the boat were left for weeks or months without a visit would the damp get in? and would that cheap crap turn to mush?

and then that window that’s been unchecked for a couple of months and has begun to let in water while the owners are away ..

46 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yep, I'd say so. All the hallmarks are present.  

1) First post gives nothing away about themselves

2) Newly registered shortly before posting

3) Profile details not filled in

4) 100% generic advice being offered rather than personal experiences

5) Yet to be established in this case but AI bots don't engage in meaningful conversation with humans (although occasionally with each other). In particular AI bots don't hotly object to being called out as AI bots. Human posters tend to respond angrily to suggestions they are AI bots, understandably.

So, if we just wait a bit, and see...! 

6) Adds post to dormant thread.

56 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I wonder how much living aboard matters?

I always think I’m keeping the boat aired and warm, the fire’s lit not just for me but the boat. 
But I wonder if the boat were left for weeks or months without a visit would the damp get in? and would that cheap crap turn to mush?

and then that window that’s been unchecked for a couple of months and has begun to let in water while the owners are away ..

I don't think kelpie minds being left for months - with some hopper windows open for ventilation.  Apart from some internal doors (wood not MDF) having expanded a wee bit, that is. They soon get back to size after a couple of days heating from the Squirrel. 

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

I don't think kelpie minds being left for months - with some hopper windows open for ventilation.  Apart from some internal doors (wood not MDF) having expanded a wee bit, that is. They soon get back to size after a couple of days heating from the Squirrel. 

Having said this, I think my kitchen sink surround is made from weetabix with a plastic veneer. 
Long over due replacing,

but once you start replacing one thing you’ve suddenly a total refit going on, 

so I’ll make do for another year,

..and then another 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I've just had the galley refurbed, using Howdens units, two deep drawers, one tall thin rack, and a few  cupboards. I had little change out of £2.5K, but the fitter made a good job. Its pretty small, so I'd expect to pay another £1K for a larger galley, plus another £1K for the cooker, and £700 to £950 for a 12v fridge for a standard galley.

The new sink arrangement needed a new waste arrangement, not something a kitchen fitter would know how to do.

Why? 

Just now, Jon57 said:

Why? 

Wouldn't a kitchen fitter not know how to do a new waste on a boat 😂

15 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Why? 

Wouldn't a kitchen fitter not know how to do a new waste on a boat 😂

He would not be used to drilling holes in 6mm steel for a start. 

Not sure about U bends and non standard fittings.

Customised worktops, and suchlike  they might even try to use spirit levels!

Try going in to one of these posh german kitchen shops and start off with "I need a new galley in my narrowboat" Twelve weeks waiting list and min charge £12K!

On 29/04/2023 at 06:47, Floaty Me Boaty said:

Hi All,

Have anyone on here any recommendations for a cabinet maker around the Wincham area.

Had a chap come in, but he only buys units from Howdens or the like, which i could do myself, but i would like some solid wood units made.

The galley is quite small, so i need it to be as sturdy and practicable as possible.

Ideally i would like some made which allows me to assemble them on site.

Thanks in advance.

My galley is 1.65m, and it's very sturdy, mostly Howden drawers, 25 year guarantee I believe?

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Try going in to one of these posh german kitchen shops and start off with "I need a new galley in my narrowboat" Twelve weeks waiting list and min charge £12K!

Is your kitchen finished? I would love to see photos of it. It sounds great. 

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

My galley is 1.65m, and it's very sturdy, mostly Howden drawers, 25 year guarantee I believe?

I've been in the fitted kitchen business for over 40yrs. Drilling a hole in 6mm steel is a walk in the park for a professional kitchen fitter. As for fitting a few standard units in a boat is plain sailing 😁 It's not rocket science. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Jon57 said:

I've been in the fitted kitchen business for over 40yrs. Drilling a hole in 6mm steel is a walk in the park for a professional kitchen fitter. As for fitting a few standard units in a boat is plain sailing 😁 It's not rocket science. 

As long as they realise there's likely to be a *lot* of water the other side of it... 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Aye, in a Hudson you still have 9" of steel left to play with....

18 hours ago, IanD said:

As long as they realise there's likely to be a *lot* of water the other side of it... 😉

That's why PROFESSIONALS don't do drill holes without looking at what's on the other side first 😁. Not like the dick with a lad attached from sky who tried to dill through my stone lintle untill I stopped him. (not on the boat I my add😂😂). Well got to go now just going for a little cruise on this thing of beauty. 😍

IMG_20240306_120159.jpg