Realistic and Brutal Honesty Needed For Disabled Potential Boater

rooslootoo

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

3. LPG water heater (will hammer gas bottles)

I agree with all you say but I'll quibble with this bit. 

When I lived aboard I had an LPG water heater (Morco D61) and showering every day plus washing up etc, the tiny 3.9kg propane bottle would last me about ten days. Weirdly the 6kg bottles seemed to last about three weeks and on a previous boat, a 17kg propane seemed to last half a lifetime. 

Space heating on the other hand really does hammer the gas bottles and I strongly advise against it. 

If this boat didn't get an offer at £2k then those that have seen it previously must have been scared off by more than one thing. Why has someone with access to a (boat)yard, skills, materials, tools and cheap crane/transport not bought it? Probably because it would become a money pit, even with all those resources to hand.

It looks as though it has been a guest room kind of boat, quirky and cute, but never had an engine. It should be possible to fit an outboard bracket to the back, but the power needs talked of can only be supplied by a shoreline, genny or diesel lump engine to batteries, which will cost more than the boat to source and install along with shaft and prop. Outboards may do a few led lights and phone charger but they are useless at putting in the power that would be pulled by a fridge/freezer. A good outboard will not be cheap. Even secondhand at ten years old and more, a decent 20hp outboard is in the £1k-£2k range. Similarly a few hundred watts of solar wouldn't manage well. 

At best the hull will need attention to the rust and some welding prior to blacking but it may need major overplating, which again could easily cost a multiple of the initial cost.

It will need relining at least above the gunwales, once all the deck fittings, vents and windows have been made watertight. Decent lining ply is not cheap per sheet, and you will need maybe a dozen.

An electrical system, water and gas installation will have to be done using appropriate cables, pipes and fittings. What are gas pipes and leccy cables made of? Copper which is a bloomin' fortune. Calorifier, hot water heater, stove etc not cheap. Everything will need doing to BSS standards from the start to avoid wasting money.

Paint, varnish, fabric etc etc

Current storage cost is over £2k per year for a thirty foot boat. That would cover a licence and northern mooring for the same. However, the time and money required to get this boat to a stage where it could be put back in the water and used will be significant.  Say a year of hardstanding, and then it will require lifting to water or truck.

Not trying to put the OP off getting into boats but this type of project presents way too many pitfalls and large costs to be viable for most people including myself.

I would instead echo a previous suggestion that a small GRP cruiser, that can be enjoyed in the summer for weekends from day one would be better to start with, on the budget that is available.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

If this boat didn't get an offer at £2k then those that have seen it previously must have been scared off by more than one thing. Why has someone with access to a (boat)yard, skills, materials, tools and cheap crane/transport not bought it? Probably because it would become a money pit, even with all those resources to hand.

It looks as though it has been a guest room kind of boat, quirky and cute, but never had an engine. It should be possible to fit an outboard bracket to the back, but the power needs talked of can only be supplied by a shoreline, genny or diesel lump engine to batteries, which will cost more than the boat to source and install along with shaft and prop. Outboards may do a few led lights and phone charger but they are useless at putting in the power that would be pulled by a fridge/freezer. A good outboard will not be cheap. Even secondhand at ten years old and more, a decent 20hp outboard is in the £1k-£2k range. Similarly a few hundred watts of solar wouldn't manage well. 

At best the hull will need attention to the rust and some welding prior to blacking but it may need major overplating, which again could easily cost a multiple of the initial cost.

It will need relining at least above the gunwales, once all the deck fittings, vents and windows have been made watertight. Decent lining ply is not cheap per sheet, and you will need maybe a dozen.

An electrical system, water and gas installation will have to be done using appropriate cables, pipes and fittings. What are gas pipes and leccy cables made of? Copper which is a bloomin' fortune. Calorifier, hot water heater, stove etc not cheap. Everything will need doing to BSS standards from the start to avoid wasting money.

Paint, varnish, fabric etc etc

Current storage cost is over £2k per year for a thirty foot boat. That would cover a licence and northern mooring for the same. However, the time and money required to get this boat to a stage where it could be put back in the water and used will be significant.  Say a year of hardstanding, and then it will require lifting to water or truck.

Not trying to put the OP off getting into boats but this type of project presents way too many pitfalls and large costs to be viable for most people including myself.

I would instead echo a previous suggestion that a small GRP cruiser, that can be enjoyed in the summer for weekends from day one would be better to start with, on the budget that is available.

Well, the OP did ask for brutal honesty.

He's got it in spades here.

I do wholeheartedly agree with Bilgepump.

• Greenie 1

On 19/04/2023 at 11:27, Tracy D'arth said:

30 ft is too small to live on, you cannot get enough solar on the roof to supply a meaningful amount of electricity.

Living on a 30ft boat, I rather have to disagree with this statement. 🙃

It's a small space that requires thought about what 'stuff' is necessary. That doesn't mean it's not a comfortable home. After all, the traditional boatman's cabin is only about 10-12ft long and I have 20ft!

Modern solar panels are pretty good - particularly in combination with lithium batteries, which have much less self-discharge and higher charge efficiency.

I currently have 400W, which covered my energy requirements entirely from April to October. Through the winter I only had to run the engine stationary for charging on a handful of occasions, some cruising and the occasional solar output made up the rest. A 'continuous moorer' moving only every 14 days would have to run stationary more. Large usable capacity and lithiums not needing to be fully charged regularly helps a lot, because sunny/cruising days average out with the bad ones.

I have space for a second 400W panel and plan to get one, mostly so I can substitute electric water heating & cooking for gas in the summer, falling back to gas and the woodburner in winter. It might also improve the winter situation a bit, but twice nothing is still nothing...

Obviously you can't run a "house" energy usage on that budget - 12V fridge, laptop and other small devices, lighting, water pumps etc. Total usage about 60Ah per day.

EDIT: to be clear, I would certainly advise the OP against buying this boat. It's nothing but a shell, and that shell is so poor in design, build and condition that throwing any more money at it would be madness.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, BilgePump said:

The OP said the owner of the land will allow the boat to remain where it is while work is done, but I can't see any mention of the hard-standing fees involved. I don't imagine they would be free though. It would be pretty much impossible to live on the boat while doing the sort of work involved, so these non-productive costs would soon mount up. It's OK having something like this as a hobby, and many people do so, but that does not sound like the OP.

Tam

6 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

The OP said the owner of the land will allow the boat to remain where it is while work is done, but I can't see any mention of the hard-standing fees involved. I don't imagine they would be free though. It would be pretty much impossible to live on the boat while doing the sort of work involved, so these non-productive costs would soon mount up. It's OK having something like this as a hobby, and many people do so, but that does not sound like the OP.

Tam

Got the price from the OP

Quote "I added pictures if this helps and they say I can work on where it is

£557.23 every three months but I may be able to pay weekly"

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

Got the price from the OP

Quote "I added pictures if this helps and they say I can work on where it is

£557.23 every three months but I may be able to pay weekly"

Wow!! Just under £6.20 per week isn't going to break the bank is it! (nor make the land owner a millionaire over night. 😁)

Tam

14 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Wow!! Just under £6.20 per week isn't going to break the bank is it! (nor make the land owner a millionaire over night. 😁)

Tam

I make £557- 23  every three months,£42- 86 per week.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Lets put it simply:

1. That boat is hopelessly unsuitable

2. A 50-60' project boat in a similar condition is unsuitable (but there is hope)

3. A 50-60', mainly complete and working, secondhand narrowboat is a FAR better bet, and is going to be cheaper in the long run

If you can't afford (3), by all means dream - I occasionally browse estate agent websites of 6m+ homes etc.

1 minute ago, rooslootoo said:

Your not putting me off, I aske for all of you to be honest and tell me what you think and based on everything I have heard I am not buying the boat, I didn't wanna get screwed purchasing hence the reason I came here, I'm not saying you are experts but most or all of you have experience and I dont. I appreciate your help in showing me the correct decision, and thank you for your help....

You're making the right decision. A suitable little GRP project boat should turn up that fits your budget, resources and skills, one that you can enjoy on the water whilst doing it up. Keep checking in here and ask away with any questions. PS: Welcome to the forum by the way.

As BTC went down significantly, I saved my money and thx to you I saved my sanity.

Just now, BilgePump said:

You're making the right decision. A suitable little GRP project boat should turn up that fits your budget, resources and skills, one that you can enjoy on the water whilst doing it up. Keep checking in here and ask away with any questions. PS: Welcome to the forum by the way.

Well, thx for the upvote on my decision I had decided a few days ago but was hit with 10 more negative comments, a GRP Project is not for me as a canal boat is a dream and I shall wait and save perhaps I can make a better find and when I do I will ask all of you....

is there anyway I can set this thread as solved, please?

• Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, rooslootoo said:

As BTC went down significantly, I saved my money and thx to you I saved my sanity.

Well, thx for the upvote on my decision I had decided a few days ago but was hit with 10 more negative comments, a GRP Project is not for me as a canal boat is a dream and I shall wait and save perhaps I can make a better find and when I do I will ask all of you....

is there anyway I can set this thread as solved, please?

There are GRP canal cruisers, but most are fairly elderly now so will need some sprucing up. I can't see the difference between the work needed to get your original boat into a fair shape and that needed for a GRP canal cruiser. In fact, I think there will be far less because if you choose correctly you won't be buying an engine, drive line, and paying to have the hull cut about to install it and fit a rudder. Please do not discount a GRP canal boat until you have viewed a few. In most cases GRP repairs are far more within the scope of a reasonable DIYer, than are steel hulls, and GRP canal cruisers are stronger than many think. Try to avoid outboard powered ones though, because of limited charging capacity.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

There are GRP canal cruisers, but most are fairly elderly now so will need some sprucing up. I can't see the difference between the work needed to get your original boat into a fair shape and that needed for a GRP canal cruiser. In fact, I think there will be far less because if you choose correctly you won't be buying an engine, drive line, and paying to have the hull cut about to install it and fit a rudder. Please do not discount a GRP canal boat until you have viewed a few. In most cases GRP repairs are far more within the scope of a reasonable DIYer, than are steel hulls, and GRP canal cruisers are stronger than many think. Try to avoid outboard powered ones though, because of limited charging capacity.

I dont discount them I just think I should save and wait, had a look at some of them if there 30 feet and have everything I may be happy but I think I shall wait until I'm sure, again...

1 minute ago, rooslootoo said:

I dont discount them I just think I should save and wait, had a look at some of them if there 30 feet and have everything I may be happy but I think I shall wait until I'm sure, again...

Good, just keep an open mind and bide your time.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

had a look at your website pretty cool

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Good, just keep an open mind and bide your time.

Saving BTC for a while longer

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Thank you, but it, and my technical knowledge is getting a bit out of date now, but the basics are the same.

Well if you need a computer built, repaired, updated I'm your man or I can point in right direction. If you need a stage built with trusses, lighting and cabling and security I can help there to used to be a Roadie