Traditional Boatman's Stove

Tomska

Featured Posts

I'm after a simple, heavy, traditional boatman's stove. One that has 1 or 2 hot plates on the top and a small oven to one side of the firebox.

I have seen them, so I'm sure they're still being made. Anyone got any recommendations?

I've done some Googling, but to no avail. All I can find is modern stoves with windows.

Thanks.

(edited to add... I don't mean a range like a Rayburn or an Aga - much smaller than that & plain black cast iron).

Edited by Tomska

Bingo!

I love this site.

Thank you all.

:cheers:

(Sarah - that's about the trad-est boatman's cabin I've ever seen!)

i had to do a double take - thought Sara had a piccie of our boat... same painting on the drop down table.. stove shelving slots to the rear...

assume its a barry hawkins northwhich also??

Just a few more plates than us, but oh so close in looks

i had to do a double take - thought Sara had a piccie of our boat... same painting on the drop down table.. stove shelving slots to the rear...

assume its a barry hawkins northwhich also??

Just a few more plates than us, but oh so close in looks

No, it's a Norton Canes, which has been decorated by Dave Moore. :cheers:

Big plus with the Epping over the Squirrel is the oven. Big drawback (in my opinion) is the top loading for the fuel --- flames smoke and soot every time you fill it. If it had to be one or the other, I'd have to be influenced by how long I wanted the stove to remain in for on a fill. I think the Epping firebox really is too small for overnighting, whereas the Squirrel will do it comfortably. Also the backboiler option with the Squirrel.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
Big plus with the Epping over the Squirrel is the oven. Big drawback (in my opinion) is the top loading for the fuel --- flames smoke and soot every time you fill it. If it had to be one or the other, I'd have to be influenced by how long I wanted the stove to remain in for on a fill. I think the Epping firebox really is too small for overnighting, whereas the Squirrel will do it comfortably. Also the backboiler option with the Squirrel.

Mike.

We have an epping in our BMC and the only problem is getting it started, but once going she is excellent. Smoke only tends to be a problem in the early stages of the fire but once the flue warm its great.

With the door vent only open a crack it ticks over fine.

Will be trying it out while out for a trip next week to see how warm it keeps those legs while at the tiller

• 4 weeks later...
We have an epping in our BMC and the only problem is getting it started, but once going she is excellent. Smoke only tends to be a problem in the early stages of the fire but once the flue warm its great.

With the door vent only open a crack it ticks over fine.

Will be trying it out while out for a trip next week to see how warm it keeps those legs while at the tiller

We have just been out for a couple of very cold weeks..

and I can say unequivocally that the epping keeps tiller legs ( and the rest if you close the doors behind you)...very warm indeed...

It is easy to light ..firelighter and kindling ..no paper..

and if I close the door vent it will stay in all night

Its great to cook on too..

I wish the stove in our saloon was an Epping too

Although we have an epping in the back cabin we also have a cooking range in the saloon..

its got a brass door to the oven part and has N1910 Stratford on the door..

have googled it but found no information..

has anyone come across this stove?...

it looks very nice and is efficient but burns fuel at a great pace and doesn't seem to dampen down at all...

• 1 month later...

Posted this to the For Sale and Wanted bit, but although I do want to sell it, to start with I'm just trying to find out what it might be worth.

It's an unusual boatman's stove - old (don't know how old), which could mean one of two things - it's an antique... or it's worthless! Any ideas on where I might be able to find out - can send some pics to anyone who can help or is interested.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13139

• 3 weeks later...
I've just posted some pics of this stove to the members gallery!

OK, so it's not an 'Epping Range' that most people picture as 'the' boatmans stove,

Machinemart have a probably cheaply made similar one here clicky

I would have thought, if it was an antique, you would be able to find a name on it...

simon.

• 1 year later...
Although we have an epping in the back cabin we also have a cooking range in the saloon..

its got a brass door to the oven part and has N1910 Stratford on the door..

have googled it but found no information..

has anyone come across this stove?...

it looks very nice and is efficient but burns fuel at a great pace and doesn't seem to dampen down at all...

Hi Gillie,

I know it has been some time since this thread was active but have you found any more info on your Stratford N1910? I have one and found your post whilst searching tinternet looking for a new top for mine (it has a massive crack which I botched for this winter but won't another!). I don't know anything about my stove however I have seen another two, does yours have an oval to round collar? The other two I have seen both had fat round to round collars, I had one made to fit after months of searching but that was almost before the time of the net lol and my searching consisted of trawling around boat yards, jumbles and talking to folk all to no avail, I had no idea that there was such little info. I do remember being told that they came from the US but I can't remember where that gem came from!

Hope you had some success, I keep looking at my poor old stove which has served me so well and I can't bring myself to abandon it for a new one, I have thought about having a new one made but have no idea if this is even possible?!

sorry for the ramble.

Claire x

what a great picture has anyone else got any like this iwhen i eventually build my wooden narrrow boat this is what i want at the back fantastic :lol:

If the latest British Standard for solid fuel stoves goes through it could well be possible that installing one in a back cabin will be illegal!

Tim