Hatrecastle tunnel, is it safe to moor over night

JDUK

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, JDUK said:

Hi 

Regarding harecastle tunnel mooring (southbound entrance).  Is it safe to moor there overnight?  

thanks

Perfectly. I do it often, never had a problem. In fact its a great quiet mooring.  Not the north end though!  Oh I re-read your post, by southbound entrance do you mean the north end?  If so, no, too noisy and busy. Moor on the park below the first locks instead, that is fine.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

At the north end, I'd moor a bit away from the centre of Kidsgrove, either on the Macc, or a few locks down the T&M, depending on your approach. Used to work not far from there a few decades ago. The area is not the worst part of the greater Stoke/Newcastle conurbation, but it isn't the greatest either.

Jen

I first read the title as is it safe to moor inside the Harecastle, or even Hatrecastle tunnel, to which the answer is probably not!

29 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

At the north end, I'd moor a bit away from the centre of Kidsgrove, either on the Macc, or a few locks down the T&M, depending on your approach. Used to work not far from there a few decades ago. The area is not the worst part of the greater Stoke/Newcastle conurbation, but it isn't the greatest either.

Jen

I first read the title as is it safe to moor inside the Harecastle, or even Hatrecastle tunnel, to which the answer is probably not!

It would be dark, quiet and less chance of getting vandalised 

Edited by Tonka
Spelling
  • Haha 1

I moored at the North End overnight without incident (other than the noise from trains) a few years back. The tunnel ventilation had failed so the tunnel was closed earlier than the published last entry time.

I wouldn't do it from choice though.