Temporarily Frozen: multiple users

AMModels

Featured Posts

Is there any chance that the T&Cs can be altered to make 2nd identities a bannable offence, I think the emnity and nastiness caused by possible multiple identities has made this almost a neccesity. The thought now that there are many identities in use by one or two trolls and troublemakers is in the mind of many posters and needs some action taking.

IP addresses can be traced and tracked and anyone using multiple id's can be spotted easily enough. I appeal to the mods to take action now to prevent things getting worse.

Is there any chance that the T&Cs can be altered to make 2nd identities a bannable offence, I think the emnity and nastiness caused by possible multiple identities has made this almost a neccesity. The thought now that there are many identities in use by one or two trolls and troublemakers is in the mind of many posters and needs some action taking.

IP addresses can be traced and tracked and anyone using multiple id's can be spotted easily enough. I appeal to the mods to take action now to prevent things getting worse.

As somebody who, from time to time, uses 5 different ways of accessing the internet, wouldn't that give me 5 different IP addresses?

I agree with your point and, if it's possible it would be a good idea. I can't help feeling some much loved fridaaay characters would disappear, though. Perhaps a small price to pay?

Who has two identities?

Are you asumeing again and the conclusion is GUILTY?

Why is it that many on this forum think genuine nice people, that dont like the behaviour they seeon here and speak out have two or three identities?

As somebody who, from time to time, uses 5 different ways of accessing the internet, wouldn't that give me 5 different IP addresses?

Yes, but theres nothing wrong with that.

- The issue are when 5 diffrent 'people' all have the same IP address!!

Daniel

I agree about the different ways of accessing the net, personally I have two but both are used with this identity, like Daniel says tho when 5 id's are using one access point is when it is possible to spot any wrong doings. What I think as well is if this is done now it would be quite easy to spot who has been using multiple addresses, although from previous experience I would suggest that a thread is set up to allow an amnesty where people can admit to being more than one user and which names they used, if anyone doesnt post and then attempts to use the multiple accounts after a certain date then action should be taken by the admin team.

Maybe an immediate start to the amnesty and then january 1st as being the cut off date for using the names.

just my experience and thoughts.

Yes but, having 5 different IPs enables one to have 5 different identities, undetected. Could be a bit confusing though.

You are of cause correct upto a point.

- However when your actaully looking at it all and geting the forum software to look up varous IP addresses and cross reference them etc, it does tend to all be fairly clear whats going on!

Daniel

If I remember rightly, you're able to do it two ways...

User1 has been using IP address 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2. There's nothing to worry about there as, for my account, it'll show at least 2 as I sign on at home, and at work.

The other way of looking at it is, if User1 and User1 both are using the IP address of 1.1.1.1. From the first glance it does look a bit fishy, but just because there's multiple users on the same IP address, it doesn't mean they're the same people.

When I was on a mod on another forum, you occasionally got more than 2 people with the same IP address, but that wasn't a case of multiple identities. A couple of well known ISP's, such as NTL and AOL off the top of my head, use what you call a proxy server, so really, the forum software picks the address of the Proxy server up instead of their "real" IP which can add to the confusion.

Saying that though, especially with NTL, they would have to be geograpically very close to share the same NTL "exchange".

Ithink I am right in saying that the school I work at has 300 computers whcih access the internet through an intranet, sharing the same I.P. If the kids wanted to be mischievous they could hit a forum with 300 different usernames, but the same I.P. ?

Ithink I am right in saying that the school I work at has 300 computers whcih access the internet through an intranet, sharing the same I.P. If the kids wanted to be mischievous they could hit a forum with 300 different usernames, but the same I.P. ?

Without getting too technical, basically, yes they could.

I suppose the other way to check is to look at email addresses. I beleive you can only register with an email address once but looking for similiarity or even @thesameunusualdomain.com would give things away.

Would the problem of multiple identities be solved if we all had to use our proper names - First name space surname? This, if it could be enforced (at the stage before a person is accepted into the forum?) then I think a lot of the nastiness which arises from time to time would probably disappear. If bullies think that they can't be identified, it gives them courage to bully some more. Somehow, when a person posts under their proper name, bullying etc seems to recede. It would also help stop multiple identities.

This seems to work on other furums in which I participate.

I'll probably now be told why this won't work but it is just a thought on how the forum could be more enjoyable for EVERYONE.

Would the problem of multiple identities be solved if we all had to use our proper names - First name space surname? This, if it could be enforced (at the stage before a person is accepted into the forum?) then I think a lot of the nastiness which arises from time to time would probably disappear. If bullies think that they can't be identified, it gives them courage to bully some more. Somehow, when a person posts under their proper name, bullying etc seems to recede. It would also help stop multiple identities.

I'll probably now be told why this won't work but it is just a thought on how the forum could be more enjoyable for EVERYONE.

:cheers: The people I know and trust on this forum know my full name. But I'm not sure I want thousands of guest vistors piecing together the info on the profile pages (boat name and location, for example) along with my full name.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Yes, but theres nothing wrong with that.

- The issue are when 5 diffrent 'people' all have the same IP address!!

Daniel

Disagree with that. As they are accessing the internet from 5 different points they could have 5 different identities so there is something wrong with that.

You could all try being nice to everyone as I do then you wouldnt need to hide behind different identities. :cheers:

Edited by Maverick

I have been a member of another(American) forum for over seven years and that requires members to use their own surname and first name Initial (full first names are an option) There has never been any nastiness at all, so maybe it has something to commend it.

Personally I cannot be bothered to try and invent secret identities for myself so I always used my full name. Anyway I would probably forget an invented name.

Edited by David Schweizer

I have been a member of another(American) forum for over seven years and that requires members to use their own surname and first name Initial (full first names are an option) There has never been any nastiness at all, so maybe it has something to commend it.

Personally I cannot be bothered to try and invent secret identities for myself so I always used my full name. Anyway I would probably forget an invented name.

Nor me :D:D

Cats owtat bag :cheers:;)

I guv em an inviyte ta test em owt em out an thi dun it :D:D:D:D

Well Done God Jon. ( I did make it easy for you fair play I kept to one IP, when in fact I have access to lots.

Hasn`t it been a pleasant weekend though with only one being Rude, "Me", better than the whole bl"£$din lot of ya.

Pity really I was just sharpening my writing sword ready for the final battle.

I`m going to remain forum Queen tho if ya dunt mind

I`ll still be around I`m not banned yet :D Question is will you know me?????????????? B)

There will be a change in the rules shortly to ban multiple identies. I will post further details when decided. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jon

I'm all with the using your real name thing. What might have started out as a joke for some or a laugh(or as in my case, i simply got fed up and wanted another name)... has turned into a monster and I for one am now really concerned about (certain)people who may have malicious intent, hiding anonymously behind some name or other, than their own name. Oh how brave they are hiding behind a made up name and how bold that makes them... I rather suspect face to face that definitely would not be the case. As it stands at this time, people post things and people answer that/those posts, and things get said that shouldn't be said, and so the snowball grows.... all this I agree with and would like to see changes in this area.

Whatever people may or may not think about me, I can put my hand on my heart and say "hello, female not much of a threat to you am I?"..... But I cannot say that of others....sadly..... I have had veiled threats made to me in the past; I am female and its not funny when a male acts in this fashion and thinks its funny or a joke, or gets some sick kick out of behaviour like this, and I feel more than sure if such people were made to come out of the shadows, this sort of behaviour would be brought to a swift end.

Cheers,

Dawn x

I'm all with the using your real name thing. What might have started out as a joke for some or a laugh(or as in my case, i simply got fed up and wanted another name)... has turned into a monster and I for one am now really concerned about (certain)people who may have malicious intent, hiding anonymously behind some name or other, than their own name. Oh how brave they are hiding behind a made up name and how bold that makes them... I rather suspect face to face that definitely would not be the case. As it stands at this time, people post things and people answer that/those posts, and things get said that shouldn't be said, and so the snowball grows.... all this I agree with and would like to see changes in this area.

Whatever people may or may not think about me, I can put my hand on my heart and say "hello, female not much of a threat to you am I?"..... But I cannot say that of others....sadly..... I have had veiled threats made to me in the past; I am female and its not funny when a male acts in this fashion and thinks its funny or a joke, or gets some sick kick out of behaviour like this, and I feel more than sure if such people were made to come out of the shadows, this sort of behaviour would be brought to a swift end.

Cheers,

Dawn x

The problem is with this idea the forum numbers will shrink to about 30 :cheers:;)B)