Huddersfield Narrow Thoughts

Adam

Featured Posts

Day 4

Tunnel guides arrived nice and early. Through the tunnel with no hiccups, bit of paint lost off the rear handrail and some blacking - as expected. Of course the tunnel is a experience in its own right. Moored up at the Marsden end and had lunch at the café. Note the offside moorings at the tunnel could be nice , if it's quiet I assume they would let you if you ask. Very helpful volunteers, bought the book Trevor (our guide / the author) had with him and they sell in the tunnel control room. Was shown the tunnel control panel and had a good chat with the controller - all very friendly.

Spun round the corner onto the lock / visitor moorings / dog poo fertilised towpath. Nice to see another boat here,they had managed to get through the stoppage at  5E. lock 42E is locked with combination padlocks.

A few days prior I had a call from CRT explaining the stoppage at 5E had over run, confirming the tunnel booking, booking days for the volunteer assistance 42e to 32e and through 1e. The assumption here is everybody makes a quick passage over the HNC.

Looking on the online booking system there is a option for "volunteer assistance" through 42 to 32. It isnt marked on stoppages - yet is locked. Read the bumf on the booking info about meeting times locations etc if your interested but it essentially forces your hand on your plans right down to Slaithwaite. Information is difficult to find here and work out what your actually doing. From the above it feels like the East is essentially closed unless your going through tunnel. This may change of course. I did email CRT asking about staying on the summit/ any restrictions on the east side a few days prior but no response. The west side team responded when I posed the same question on our way up. It doesn't really affect us and we need to go down tomorrow anyway.

On a brighter note I reported a broken paddle by email yesterday and had a follow up phone call this morning checking we were ok and did we need any assistance etc -very good CRT.

On 27/03/2023 at 21:04, Adam said:

Day 4

Tunnel guides arrived nice and early. Through the tunnel with no hiccups, bit of paint lost off the rear handrail and some blacking - as expected. Of course the tunnel is a experience in its own right. Moored up at the Marsden end and had lunch at the café. Note the offside moorings at the tunnel could be nice , if it's quiet I assume they would let you if you ask. Very helpful volunteers, bought the book Trevor (our guide / the author) had with him and they sell in the tunnel control room. Was shown the tunnel control panel and had a good chat with the controller - all very friendly.

Spun round the corner onto the lock / visitor moorings / dog poo fertilised towpath. Nice to see another boat here,they had managed to get through the stoppage at  5E. lock 42E is locked with combination padlocks.

A few days prior I had a call from CRT explaining the stoppage at 5E had over run, confirming the tunnel booking, booking days for the volunteer assistance 42e to 32e and through 1e. The assumption here is everybody makes a quick passage over the HNC.

Looking on the online booking system there is a option for "volunteer assistance" through 42 to 32. It isnt marked on stoppages - yet is locked. Read the bumf on the booking info about meeting times locations etc if your interested but it essentially forces your hand on your plans right down to Slaithwaite. Information is difficult to find here and work out what your actually doing. From the above it feels like the East is essentially closed unless your going through tunnel. This may change of course. I did email CRT asking about staying on the summit/ any restrictions on the east side a few days prior but no response. The west side team responded when I posed the same question on our way up. It doesn't really affect us and we need to go down tomorrow anyway.

On a brighter note I reported a broken paddle by email yesterday and had a follow up phone call this morning checking we were ok and did we need any assistance etc -very good CRT.

Does that mean to get 42E unlocked you need to request the volunteer assistance?

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Does that mean to get 42E unlocked you need to request the volunteer assistance?

That seems to be the current procedure. I hadn't requested assistance along with my tunnel booking but received a call from CRT to arrange it. 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, rgreg said:

That seems to be the current procedure. I hadn't requested assistance along with my tunnel booking but received a call from CRT to arrange it. 

I put back my booking of 1E so that I didn’t absolutely need to do any locks after the tunnel passage. Seems that may have been wise because I guess after an early afternoon passage I’ll be staying at Marsden for the rest of the day whether I wanted to or not. As it happens I’m quite happy to do that.

Day 5 - 

CRT apprentice arrived on time to see us through the Marsden flight (42e-32e) the top lock is locked with combination padlocks. In all fairness it makes sense it is a assisted passage through the locks, they are very close together with odd sized pounds making the water levels fluctuate,but if this is their procedure they should update the stoppage page with a "booking advice"notice. Current procedure seems to be the office knows your coming with either a 1e or tunnel booking and call to make arrangements, passage is restricted to Tues Thurs Saturday (probably negotiable?) and it isn't a volunteer exercise it's CRT maintenance staff penning you through, see below. Note the bottom paddles on this flight have restrictors on the bottom paddles so empty slowly, restrictors are to stop you overcoming the bywash and flooding the towpath. Note the locks usually are found empty and leaky gates start a little here but nothing serious. A few stiff paddles and one not working - promptly reported by CRT man.

The whole excersise of the assisted passage seems to be due to a blocked bywash In the pound between 32 and 33 . They have the bywash from the pound above diverted to the resovoir so there is no feed to the pound below, our CRT man filled the pound enough to scrape us through - note top paddles of 32 are locked off - again not on any stoppage notes. This I what I meant above about being ushered through, the freedoms of boating are stripped a little on the Eastside. Notwithstanding it is a very pleasant canal to boat down.

CRT left us after 32 and we moored on 31 lock landing for lunch, we struggled to get the stern In here but I have seen several comments of mooring In this pound opposite the winding hole. It would be a good place to stop over if you don't fancy continuing another 10 locks  to Slaithwaite I'm sure you could get in to the side somewhere here. We continued after lunch, the locks between here and Slaithwaite are a awkward distance apart i.e too far to go and open a paddle but not close enough for the crew to get back onboard. I guess this section would be time consuming single handed. Pleasant run down anyway. Don't bother with lock moorings nudge your bow into the lock and reverse back a touch to open the gate. 26e has a few boat moored above on the offside and they need to keep their boats quite far into the channel for depth, one of the guys from here helped us through the lock.

There is towpath side moorings at the top of 24E (guillotine lock) but too shallow on a couple of bits I tried. Regardless below the lock they have replaced the wash wall and they were finishing off moorings for approx 7 boats, the moorings are separated from the road a little now and will be great moorings when finished. Should be deep too they have extended the wash wall into the canal a few feet.

We had a hassle with the guillotine lock as expected. Had a cuppa with he bow nudged against the top gate while the lock filled - well didn't the guillotine gate wasn't closed properly. Drained the lock and tried the gate up and down to get it to seat properly, had to flush water through with the gate a few inches off its stop to clear the debris. Even with the guillotine on its marks the lock doesn't fill more than a couple of inches from level. Local resident told us a boat coming up a few days ago recruited 5 people to force the top gate. We tied our bow to the top gate and pulled it open. With the messing around we had had filled the pound below up a fair bit, very tight on the lock Tail bridge and the 2 super low bridges after the next lock. This is the only lock we have had any bother with other than the odd stiff paddle - well greased they just need used!

We dropped down to below 22E and moored up In the basin. Few boats here one guy has been stuck here since last summer with stoppages / water shortages. Note 2 water points here, one below 22e and one above 21e. Space for about 7 boats on the less used towpath side here. Boater's facilities are good, noted what I guess was the bin store locked off and empty and replaced with a kirklees council bin nearby - sure I read a thread about CRT trying to get the local councils to provide the refuse service for boater's. Slaithwaite is nice, Stopping here for a few days waiting for the stoppage at 5e to clear - advice from CRT man is don't go below Slaithwaite untill you can get through to Huddersfield.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

Day 5 - 

CRT apprentice arrived on time to see us through the Marsden flight (42e-32e) the top lock is locked with combination padlocks. In all fairness it makes sense it is a assisted passage through the locks, they are very close together with odd sized pounds making the water levels fluctuate,but if this is their procedure they should update the stoppage page with a "booking advice"notice. Current procedure seems to be the office knows your coming with either a 1e or tunnel booking and call to make arrangements, passage is restricted to Tues Thurs Saturday (probably negotiable?) and it isn't a volunteer exercise it's CRT maintenance staff penning you through, see below. Note the bottom paddles on this flight have restrictors on the bottom paddles so empty slowly, restrictors are to stop you overcoming the bywash and flooding the towpath. Note the locks usually are found empty and leaky gates start a little here but nothing serious. A few stiff paddles and one not working - promptly reported by CRT man.

The whole excersise of the assisted passage seems to be due to a blocked bywash In the pound between 32 and 33 . They have the bywash from the pound above diverted to the resovoir so there is no feed to the pound below, our CRT man filled the pound enough to scrape us through - note top paddles of 32 are locked off - again not on any stoppage notes. This I what I meant above about being ushered through, the freedoms of boating are stripped a little on the Eastside. Notwithstanding it is a very pleasant canal to boat down.

CRT left us after 32 and we moored on 31 lock landing for lunch, we struggled to get the stern In here but I have seen several comments of mooring In this pound opposite the winding hole. It would be a good place to stop over if you don't fancy continuing another 10 locks  to Slaithwaite I'm sure you could get in to the side somewhere here. We continued after lunch, the locks between here and Slaithwaite are a awkward distance apart i.e too far to go and open a paddle but not close enough for the crew to get back onboard. I guess this section would be time consuming single handed. Pleasant run down anyway. Don't bother with lock moorings nudge your bow into the lock and reverse back a touch to open the gate. 26e has a few boat moored above on the offside and they need to keep their boats quite far into the channel for depth, one of the guys from here helped us through the lock.

There is towpath side moorings at the top of 24E (guillotine lock) but too shallow on a couple of bits I tried. Regardless below the lock they have replaced the wash wall and they were finishing off moorings for approx 7 boats, the moorings are separated from the road a little now and will be great moorings when finished. Should be deep too they have extended the wash wall into the canal a few feet.

We had a hassle with the guillotine lock as expected. Had a cuppa with he bow nudged against the top gate while the lock filled - well didn't the guillotine gate wasn't closed properly. Drained the lock and tried the gate up and down to get it to seat properly, had to flush water through with the gate a few inches off its stop to clear the debris. Even with the guillotine on its marks the lock doesn't fill more than a couple of inches from level. Local resident told us a boat coming up a few days ago recruited 5 people to force the top gate. We tied our bow to the top gate and pulled it open. With the messing around we had had filled the pound below up a fair bit, very tight on the lock Tail bridge and the 2 super low bridges after the next lock. This is the only lock we have had any bother with other than the odd stiff paddle - well greased they just need used!

We dropped down to below 22E and moored up In the basin. Few boats here one guy has been stuck here since last summer with stoppages / water shortages. Note 2 water points here, one below 22e and one above 21e. Space for about 7 boats on the less used towpath side here. Boater's facilities are good, noted what I guess was the bin store locked off and empty and replaced with a kirklees council bin nearby - sure I read a thread about CRT trying to get the local councils to provide the refuse service for boater's. Slaithwaite is nice, Stopping here for a few days waiting for the stoppage at 5e to clear - advice from CRT man is don't go below Slaithwaite untill you can get through to Huddersfield.

That basin between 22E and 21E is where we've always moored in Slawit. Some good pubs, restaurants and shops there -- try the Destination Indian (just behind the basin), the Handmade Bakery (up near the guillotine lock), Hideaway Craft House, The Commercial...

1 minute ago, IanD said:

That basin between 22E and 21E is where we've always moored in Slawit. Some good pubs, restaurants and shops there -- try the Destination Indian (just behind the basin), the Handmade Bakery (up near the guillotine lock), Hideaway Craft House, The Commercial...

We would of moored there too, much more "open" space. They are on the vinegar stroke's of finishing it. Had lunch at the bakery -excellent!

1 minute ago, Adam said:

We would of moored there too, much more "open" space. They are on the vinegar stroke's of finishing it. Had lunch at the bakery -excellent!

When it's finished (up by the bakery/Empire Brewery) that will be a nice mooring, it used to be impossible to get into because of shallow water/high wall/no rings. DAMHIK.

18 minutes ago, Adam said:

26e has a few boat moored above on the offside and they need to keep their boats quite far into the channel for depth, one of the guys from here helped us through the lock.

That’s where I moored once for 6 months. Lovely spot above Slaithwaite.

No facilities though.

used to reverse down to the water tap at Slaithwaite.

we used to tie a Spanish windlass at the guillotine lock, off a bollard to the lock beam if it were being troublesome.

mooring above this lock was my favourite place, peaceful and quite.

theres a lovely/pretty spot to overnight, or just rest up, by the Titanic mill, lock 16(?), if you want to split your journey on way to Huddersfield. 

IF it’s quiet and not many boats moving yet, it was always ok to moor on a lock landing overnight if you can’t get in to the bank otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

IF it’s quiet and not many boats moving yet, it was always ok to moor on a lock landing overnight if you can’t get in to the bank otherwise

I've had people doing this being very apologetic when I'm using the lock, most of whom looked baffled when I told them it was fine because I can't get close to the side at most of the lock landings on the Hudd anyway.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Day 5 - 

And did your grandad enjoy Standedge?    I've just made the connection, Adam!  Was talking to your mum and Dave in the Cross Keys tonight.  You don't mention that they accompanied you on the Marsden - Slawit stretch in the pouring rain.

5 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

And did your grandad enjoy Standedge?    I've just made the connection, Adam!  Was talking to your mum and Dave in the Cross Keys tonight.  You don't mention that they accompanied you on the Marsden - Slawit stretch in the pouring rain.

He loved it! So did they enjoy the cruise down -  I bet you never guessed Dave spent his time off from the pub lock wheeling in the rain. As above me and the new wife finally bought a boat and are bringing it back up country. Should you wish to have a pint and Huddersfield canal chat sometime let me know.

…or will we? Lock 23W closed for repair, and yes it was a decrepit top gate. Watching crt notices, anybody got any local advice, we need to get through by Easter Sunday for our tunnel booking on Monday?

15 hours ago, droshky said:

…or will we? Lock 23W closed for repair, and yes it was a decrepit top gate. Watching crt notices, anybody got any local advice, we need to get through by Easter Sunday for our tunnel booking on Monday?

Top paddle was funny with us, ring CRT they will likely assist you through if at all possible. They are very helpful that way over.

25 minutes ago, Adam said:

Top paddle was funny with us, ring CRT they will likely assist you through if at all possible. They are very helpful that way over.

Yes we’ve generally found them very helpful with that kind of urgent issue. But there’s a stop notice on there since Thursday, updated yesterday and saying that it’ll be dewatered for repair and next notice will be this monday3rd.

Not looking too brilliant for Easter weekend, we can but hope. Nuisance that we can’t get to the cafe or wool rd moorings. Hopefully the imminent holiday weekend will concentrate their minds and spanners.

Day 6/7

We left Slaithwaite 5PM on Friday to break the journey up and make the journey to 1E for our 3pm booking a little easier. We dropped down 5 locks to the upper lock landing of 16W (Titanic Mill) to overnight, good mooring and quiet. This is your best stop to coincide with a 3pm booking imo (9am or 3pm is the options) You could likely get into the side here other than the lock mooring but note the towpath has been extensively upgraded to a cycle track making driving pins likely difficult. I propose a new rule for the HNC: Moor on a lock landing if you wish, doing so indicates you are happy for other boaters to step across your boat - makes everybody's life easier! The towpath is upgraded from Slaithwaite until Milnsbridge.

From here down the canal gets in a progressively worse state of repair. Paddles get stiffer, leaky gates become haemorrhages, foliage becomes rainforest. Notwithstanding nothing is overly difficult (we are early 30s btw). Graffiti starts to become more prominent, as does rubbish in the cut. The pound between 15 and 14 has a landslip / shallows, we were warned of this although we were following a boat down so the pound was high hiding said debris under the water for a few inches, for reference it is where the railings are adjacent to the river. We met our first oncoming boat since Marple dropping into Milnsbrige, the lock after we had passed had already dropped level to halfway. Milnsbridge (noted it is named as Milnsbridge Marina??) has moorings on the towpath side, probably ok for a overnight but a little dross sandwiched between old industrial buildings and a converted mill - the timings for lock 1E don't lend themselves to mooring here anyway. As above paddles getting stiffer, foliage and leaky gates as we go. In all fairness similar to the start of the west side.

The stoppage at 5E is a strange one, CRT claim it was a overunning stoppage for lock wall repairs, but nothing obvious and they still leak into the lock, plenty going on sorting out the bankings next to the towpath. Note anti vandal keys are replaced by watermate keys from here to Huddersfield. The chamber of the old but not original lock 3E (the one they used prior to the opening up of sellers tunnel) has foliage / beer spillers unavoidably across the channel, this isn't new it looks to be a few years old. The new new lock 3E (mostly built on the site of the original lock but leaving space for a road utilising what's left of sellers tunnel) has been built to some strange dimensions, circa 9ft x 75ft, commendable they have future proofed any subsidence, however.. even with the paddle restrictors the amount of water let into the pound below overcomes the bywash and raised the pound a fair amount, the original lock tail bridge is a very low so watch out for that if you have anything on your roof. There is no towpath access to 2E from either side so not a lot you can do bar wait, note it isn't signed to remind you here (it is coming the other way). 2E is a strange place to be, interesting non the less. If you are mooring awaiting 1E go down to the lock landing, despite it having no access it looks like a hive of heroin highs. The old 2E chamber has the same overgrowing foliage problem as 2E, we watched a vloggist do this section 3 years ago and it was there then.... when i say foliage i mean boat scratching material. 1E was ready for us as booked, through no problems, funny the pounds was at the perfect level even allowing the bywash to overflow... not sure what the problem is here.

We elected to moor just after the start of the broad rather than the university moorings, we knew the marina wouldn't be open after checking the times online. There was boats blocking the fuel dock also, we assumed closed for winter still or given up trying to sell diesel to no passing traffic (HNC closed from last June remember) The towpath moorings here are managed by the marina (72hrs free) the man from the marina walked along and introduced himself, asked if we needed anything etc. He sold us diesel and coal on a Saturday afternoon despite being closed until Tuesday(you will need it likely, no fuel supply at all on the HNC), can't say any fairer than that, excellent service.

Summary to follow.

7 minutes ago, droshky said:

Yes we’ve generally found them very helpful with that kind of urgent issue. But there’s a stop notice on there since Thursday, updated yesterday and saying that it’ll be dewatered for repair and next notice will be this monday3rd.

Not looking too brilliant for Easter weekend, we can but hope. Nuisance that we can’t get to the cafe or wool rd moorings. Hopefully the imminent holiday weekend will concentrate their minds and spanners.

Are you far from it? Walk up to it you might find you can sneak through, they had a stoppage at 7w when we were heading through and was still passable

• Happy 1

54 minutes ago, Adam said:

I don’t think it’ll be passable if it’s still dewatered! But we’ll 100% make our way up to Uppermill and walk up to check it out. I guess once they can get at it they’ll be keen to get the job done. 🤞🤞🤞

Summary - "It isn't broken, its different"

As a summary, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience - we didn't get grounded any more than usual on a narrow canal - we had some stiff paddles but only 2 on the entire length that didn't work - we only had to force one lock gate.

The first 8-10 locks at either side are  horrible, not a enjoyment at all (other than seeing the work that went into the restoration at the east side) once you have passed through, there is nothing wrong with this canal. Yes they are lots of locks, but the canal is only 20 miles long. Less cruise more locks, there is adequate stopping points every 5-10 locks.

West side, much better kept, East less so. More water on the West than the East. I feel there is a underlying issue with the East over and above water shortages and bad design.. You are almost shepherded across, it really feels like its cheaper to have CRT assist you than actually fix it (or they have more breakages, they do have more locks). They repair canal bed leakages with tarpaulin btw. I would also think passages not only through Standedge but up the East in general are artificially limited.

Regardless, there is a atmosphere of the 70s on some sections, it is enjoyable and it is different. The Grand union isn't a showcase of what a canal should be like, it is simply how that canal is, and this is how the Huddersfield is.

125 year bonds aside, money talks, do this canal now - enjoy it before its too late. Talk of it needing more boats is true, but its infrastructure can't support it.

16 hours ago, droshky said:

A little trip report would be good, see how our opinions differ :)

Hi Adam, thanks again for your account. 

We got to Uppermill last year, so had a different experience in the dry weather, more grounding (we’re a bit deep anyway, underplated which didn’t help) and then came to a full stop, missing the tunnel by a few days. Our booking was for august, they shut on the first. We enjoyed quite a few Pennine walks and bike rides, but don’t live aboard, so decided to wait it out.

We had less issues than some seem to with the Hudd narrow (west), apart from water shortage.

Eventually battery life meant we had to go back a bit and literally recharge over winter. So here we are back approaching tunnel mouth, with the pounds jammed full of water by comparison with last autumn , and going thru Standedge tomorrow afternoon 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

more later

dave

On 01/04/2023 at 22:48, Adam said:

Summary - "It isn't broken, its different"

As a summary, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience - we didn't get grounded any more than usual on a narrow canal - we had some stiff paddles but only 2 on the entire length that didn't work - we only had to force one lock gate.

The first 8-10 locks at either side are  horrible, not a enjoyment at all (other than seeing the work that went into the restoration at the east side) once you have passed through, there is nothing wrong with this canal. Yes they are lots of locks, but the canal is only 20 miles long. Less cruise more locks, there is adequate stopping points every 5-10 locks.

West side, much better kept, East less so. More water on the West than the East. I feel there is a underlying issue with the East over and above water shortages and bad design.. You are almost shepherded across, it really feels like its cheaper to have CRT assist you than actually fix it (or they have more breakages, they do have more locks). They repair canal bed leakages with tarpaulin btw. I would also think passages not only through Standedge but up the East in general are artificially limited.

Regardless, there is a atmosphere of the 70s on some sections, it is enjoyable and it is different. The Grand union isn't a showcase of what a canal should be like, it is simply how that canal is, and this is how the Huddersfield is.

125 year bonds aside, money talks, do this canal now - enjoy it before its too late. Talk of it needing more boats is true, but its infrastructure can't support it.

A little trip report would be good, see how our opinions differ :)

We did the Rochdale/HNC ring in 10 days is 2017, trip report here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/92760-south-pennine-ring-trip-and-pubfood-report/

Also the HNC only in 2013 in a week:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/59716-ashton-to-sowerby-bridge-via-huddersfield-narrow-canal/

The maintainance on both canals seems to have declined since... 😞

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, IanD said:

We did the Rochdale/HNC ring in 10 days is 2017, trip report here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/92760-south-pennine-ring-trip-and-pubfood-report/

Also the HNC only in 2013 in a week:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/59716-ashton-to-sowerby-bridge-via-huddersfield-narrow-canal/

The maintainance on both canals seems to have declined since... 😞

Sure does….Standedge Diggle lock pretty much closed both ways after we eventually got through

We had the expected low pounds on our way up to the tunnel but the very last lock 32W is out of commission, only one of four paddles working, I think in each case the mechanism having come loose from their paddles.

Using leakage to empty it after a slow fill, the occasional boat is getting through but it’s taking a couple of hours to nearly empty then 3 strong men.. well 2 and me! to push 5/6 inches of water away. Repair booked but consider it closed till then. Boat behind us who has a Friday booking couldn’t get up, nor another one down, both stuck for now.

Needless to say, we missed our slot for the tunnel, so 2 days’ delay. It is lovely round here when it’s not raining!

Having just completed the HNC west to east single-handed it seems that I have been lucky in encountering no unexpected issues and dodging any stoppages. In the main, I found the water levels ok and the locks worked (some very stiff paddles and leaky gates but, on the other hand, some almost totally water- tight gates). I avoided most lock landings due to the risk of grounding. I found the west side in a better condition than the east.

My route:

*Marple Aqueduct to Stalybridge above lock 5W. ( Excellent, but expensive, Chinese takeaway at Phoenix City)

*Roaches Lock ( Excellent Sunday roast and pint at Roaches Inn)

* Uppermill VMs

*Diggle ( good pint @ Diggle Hotel)

* Standedge Tunnel ( chaperoned excellently by Chris, a Jet 2 pilot!). I am right on the maximum height limit and it was tight. I hit my head several times mis-judging the hard hat height! On to Marsden for the night (excellent pint at The Tap)

*Below lock 32E Sparth. Lovely spot for the night.

*Slaithwaite basin (Sunday open mic @ Shoulder of Mutton).

*Below lock 9E ( quiet night)

* Through lock 1E @ appointed time of 3pm to Aspley Basin.

Total running time Marple Aqueduct to Aspley Basin 40 hours. Hardly saw another boat throughout the complete journey. It was a great trip: superb views and plenty of physical activity. Recommended.  

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

Lock 32Ehas now been repaired and several boats been through both ways. They may have to return to sort it out long term. As they said themselves “shame we weren’t sent here to check all the way down before Spring reopening.”