Realistic Cruising Times on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

@IanD Day 1: you can get to Doncaster no problem should be there @6pm, City centre mooring, couple of minutes walk to City centre. Or push on to Barmby Dunn, good food, fish’n’chips, Chinese, Pizza/Kebab. 
Day 2: Doncaster to Stanley Ferry.
 Obviously all depends how much you want to do in a day, with your 11 day plan, you might be better doing longer days on the big canals with electric locks, as your more likely to hit delays/issues once your further west past Stanley Ferry. Remember your C&H spike.

Edited by PD1964

9 hours ago, PD1964 said:

@IanD Day 1: you can get to Doncaster no problem should be there @6pm, City centre mooring, couple of minutes walk to City centre. Or push on to Barmby Dunn, good food, fish’n’chips, Chinese, Pizza/Kebab. 
Day 2: Doncaster to Stanley Ferry.
 Obviously all depends how much you want to do in a day, with your 11 day plan, you might be better doing longer days on the big canals with electric locks, as your more likely to hit delays/issues once your further west past Stanley Ferry. Remember your C&H spike.

Doncaster in a day from Sheffield -- is that *really* feasible (ditto for there to Stanley Ferry)? That's one heck of a run per day, I hadn't even considered it -- but then I've never travelled on these massive commercial canals so maybe I'm underestimating speed and overestimating lock transit times (or Canalplan is)... 😉

Understood about getting further in the first few days, I guess I'll just have to see how it goes -- after all the plan is only a plan, not a schedule that has to be met. If there are delays further West (e.g. Rochdale) then we can always take an extra day if needed. I've always found in the past that keeping "Canalplan days" down to something like 8.5 hours works very well, especially in summer (end of June) this leaves plenty of spare time for stops or non-catastrophic delays, we usually beat the planned times which lets us moor up at teatime instead of going on into the evening.

And thanks for the reminder about the handspike, that's the kind of thing that can easily be forgotten (and I had done)... 🙂

Edited by IanD

Not that hard. You can easily do Doncaster in a day, especially with crew, The slowest bit is from Sheffield to Rotherham (the flight and manual old locks) once past there all big electric, all normally self filling so ready for you. Wide canals and rivers so no crawling past Cmoorers on tickover for hours at a time, you can be at Doncaster for 5pm if all goes to plan and you start down the flight normal time 9am. Light nights and warm weather I would be moving, as once on the HNC and that way, who knows what delays you might have with stoppages/water levels???

Edited by PD1964

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Not that hard. You can easily do Doncaster in a day, especially with crew, The slowest bit is from Sheffield to Rotherham (the flight and manual old locks) once past there all big electric, all normally self filling so ready for you. Wide canals and rivers so no crawling past Cmoorers on tickover for hours at a time, you can be at Doncaster for 5pm if all goes to plan and you start down the flight normal time 9am. Light nights and warm weather I would be moving, as once on the HNC and that way, who knows what delays you might have with stoppages/water levels???

All useful advice, thank you. I'm planning on the Rochdale not the HNC for the reasons you said, as well as Standedge timings -- not that the Rochdale doesn't have such problems, but the HNC has even more of them... 😉

Of course given the predicted drought it's possible between now and the end of June that one or more of the trans-Pennine canals will be closed and a rethink will be needed -- which is why I have the L&L as a first backup plan and the Trent as a second one if that's closed, both need an extra day or so compared to the Rochdale route but that's OK.

@IanD Looking at what’s been happening with Pennine routes over the last couple of years, I wouldn’t bother and I’d plan for the Trent route, that’s the way everyone goes South from Sheffield. Bigger waterways, electric locks, bigger Marina’s should you need to leave the boat, better resources than the North. I would just concentrate on getting my boat to my Home mooring and do the HNC/Roch/L&L as holidays at a more relaxed pace once the boat is tried and tested.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

@IanD Looking at what’s been happening with Pennine routes over the last couple of years, I wouldn’t bother and I’d plan for the Trent route, that’s the way everyone goes South from Sheffield. Bigger waterways, electric locks, bigger Marina’s should you need to leave the boat, better resources then North. I would just concentrate on getting my boat to my Home mooring and do the HNC/Roch/L&L as holidays at a more relaxed pace once the boat is tried and tested.

I'm seriously considering that, but viewed as a holiday -- which is what it will be for the four of us, we just happen to be delivering a boat as well -- it's a rather less pleasant one. I will definitely have a backup plan via the Trent though... 😉

Our holidays aren't any more relaxed than the plan I showed, they tend to be energetic -- the most enjoyable one was probably doing the HNC/Rochdale ring from Sowerby Bridge in 10 days... 🙂

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I'm seriously considering that, but viewed as a holiday -- which is what it will be for the four of us, we just happen to be delivering a boat as well -- it's a rather less pleasant one. I will definitely have a backup plan via the Trent though... 😉

Our holidays aren't any more relaxed than the plan I showed, they tend to be energetic -- the most enjoyable one was probably doing the HNC/Rochdale ring from Sowerby Bridge in 10 days... 🙂

Ok in a hire boat. No worries. In a new boat fist time 😬😬😬get plenty of touch up paint and voltarol for the trip.👍

Beer is good as well.😜

5 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Ok in a hire boat. No worries. In a new boat fist time 😬😬😬get plenty of touch up paint and voltarol for the trip.👍

Beer is good as well.😜

If I was worried about paint scratches I wouldn't have been looking at going through Standedge, going from experience they're almost inevitable. Just like a car -- new or otherwise -- a boat is for going places in with the inevitable consequences, not just bringing out every weekend for a wash and polish -- IIRC my car has been through a car wash less than once a year, it gets washed when it's serviced...

Mini-barrels of beer are usually onboard... 😉

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, IanD said:

Mini-barrels of beer are usually onboard...

Go large you’ll need it. Sadly we will be on our way before you come this way. Having a rest from the Trent going on the Ouse and Leeds Liverpool for a change if they don’t shut it again for whatever reason.👍

26 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Go large you’ll need it. Sadly we will be on our way before you come this way. Having a rest from the Trent going on the Ouse and Leeds Liverpool for a change if they don’t shut it again for whatever reason.👍

We've "gone large" with onboard firkin technology before now. If we ever meet up, remind me to tell you about The Great Tardebigge Beer Disaster... 😉

42 minutes ago, IanD said:

If I was worried about paint scratches I wouldn't have been looking at going through Standedge, going from experience they're almost inevitable. Just like a car -- new or otherwise -- a boat is for going places in with the inevitable consequences, not just bringing out every weekend for a wash and polish -- IIRC my car has been through a car wash less than once a year, it gets washed when it's serviced...

Mini-barrels of beer are usually onboard... 😉

Got my first scratch in the first week

23 minutes ago, IanD said:

We've "gone large" with onboard firkin technology before now. If we ever meet up, remind me to tell you about The Great Tardebigge Beer Disaster... 😉

Please do tell. Let the ginnie out of the bottle. 🍾😁

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

Wow, it took you that long? 😉

Mines all scratches with very little paint 😁

Just now, PD1964 said:

He’ll have his first scratch within the first few hours, Very little offside tree pruning getting done, one from last July, who knows what this year will be like?

0CF49244-BB8A-46A0-9FC3-44A18DB9F915.jpeg.fc17074805e8b2199e29057ce1a9831a.jpeg

Forget the handspike. He better get a hedgetrimer instead. 😭

On 14/03/2023 at 12:51, Midnight said:

Day 0 : drive up, load boat up ready to go in morning -- will have done a shakedown cruise a couple of weeks earlier

Day 1 : Pastures (past Br 53) -- not clear where to moor? 

Sprotborough seems to be the favoured spot although I never went past Doncaster so can't really say

Day 2 : Heck Bridge (Bay Horse) -- ditto

Better moorings at Pollington - walk through the farm yard to a quaint little pub. The best moorings at Heck are at the South Yorkshire Boat Club but you need a key to get out. The moorings on the other side are against heavy metal corrigated pilings 

Day 3 : Barnsley Road VM (Wakefield)

Good access to the town if not a little daunting but I haven't heard of any problems there. If you travel on a bit further there's the Navigation at Broadcut

Day 4 : Brighouse Lower Basin VM

Long day from Wakefield with heavy locks but worth it for the Market Tavern in the market square.  Alternatives are Mirfield (The Flowerpot) or Battyeford (The Pear Tree)

Day 5 : Hebden Bridge Wharf

Long day from Brighouse but doable. In June (light nights) it's possible to get from Battyeford to Hebden if you can get through Tuel late afternoon

Day 6 : West Summit Lock 37 (Summit Inn) -- moor just above lock? (closes at 4pm)

Another long grinding day 

Day 7 : Rose of Lancaster (near aqueduct)

That's a bit optimistic your crew may mutiny. If you can afford an extra day you can make the Rose from Littleborough comfortably and you could ease back on some on those long days before.

Day 8 : Castlefield ("tuning fork" arms)

Castlefield mooring were a bit grotty last time we stopped there but there's a nice little mooring just around the corner on the right after you exit the last lock on the Rochdale 9.

Day 9 : Willow Green Br 208 (Leigh Arms)
Lymm - some really good pubs and the best Chinese take-away in the world

Day 10 : Park Farm Marina (short day), drive home

Be mindfull that the locks on the Calder & Hebble are pretty hard going and you need to be very careful going through Shepley Bridge, Elland and Salterhebble with a 60ft boat.

Took your advice about going further/faster on the first couple of days, and preferred stopping places. Plan now looks like this:

Day 0 : drive up, load boat up ready to go in morning -- will have done a shakedown cruise a couple of weeks earlier

Day 1 : Sprotbrough Bridge (The Boat)

Day 2 : Ferrybridge Flood Lock No. 11 (Golden Lion)

Day 3 : Navigation Inn, Calder Grove

Day 4 : Brighouse Lower Basin VM (Market Tavern)

Day 6 : West Summit Lock 37 (Summit Inn) -- moor just above lock

Day 8 : Castlefield ("tuning fork" arms -- or corner mooring if free, wasn't last time)

As you say, if there are any problems we can always take more time, but these days fit in with what we found last time we did the Rochdale -- the last 3 stops are identical.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Took your advice about going further/faster on the first couple of days, and preferred stopping places. Plan now looks like this:

Day 1 : Sprotbrough Bridge (The Boat)

Day 2 : Ferrybridge Flood Lock No. 11 (Golden Lion)

Day 3 : Navigation Inn, Calder Grove

Day 4 : Brighouse Lower Basin VM (Market Tavern)

Day 6 : West Summit Lock 37 (Summit Inn) -- moor just above lock

Day 8 : Castlefield ("tuning fork" arms -- or corner mooring if free, wasn't last time)

As you say, if there are any problems we can always take more time, but these days fit in with what we found last time we did the Rochdale -- the last 3 stops are identical.

Day 2: Steam Packet Knottingly 

I stop at both, but prefer this one, very friendly owner and great high street for food after a pint. Chinese, fish’n’chip shop, Indian, pizza place and the star Ibby’s Kebab shop, the whole selection, Ibby’s kebabs, best I’ve ever had. 
Moorings just outside, never had and trouble there.

https://steampacket-inn-wakefield.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 1

39 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Day 2: Steam Packet Knottingly 

I stop at both, but prefer this one, very friendly owner and great high street for food after a pint. Chinese, fish’n’chip shop, Indian, pizza place and the star Ibby’s Kebab shop, the whole selection, Ibby’s kebabs, best I’ve ever had. 
Moorings just outside, never had and trouble there.

https://steampacket-inn-wakefield.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

Thanks for the suggestion -- sounds much better than Ferrybridge... 😉